2 published papers undergrad...what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamidolphins24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 3rd year undergrad and am rather worried about getting into medical school. I have 2 published peer-reviewed papers and my GPA will be about a 3.4 when I apply to medical school. I have tons of research and volunteering and I am studying for my MCAT now. I am shooting for the stars, but realistically, I plan on getting between a 28 and 30.

What are my chances of getting into medical school? I have wanted to become a doctor since I was 8 years old.

Some schools at the top of my list are:
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Vandy
Ohio State

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention that I am first author on one paper with 9 other authors under me and am 5th author on the other paper, just so you know in helping to answer my questions. Thanks!

Okaaayyy... Don't get me wrong, publishing is super-awesome-great, but don't think that it's going to "make up for" a below average GPA and/or MCAT. It's going to be difficult getting in with a 3.4. Getting a 28-30 on the MCAT will only hurt your chances. I know this sounds harsh but I needed to be told the exact same thing 1 yr ago (see my MDapps, we're remarkably similar). Rock the MCAT. It will be a dealbreaker/maker for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okaaayyy... Don't get me wrong, publishing is super-awesome-great, but don't think that it's going to "make up for" a below average GPA and/or MCAT. It's going to be difficult getting in with a 3.4. Getting a 28-30 on the MCAT will only hurt your chances. I know this sounds harsh but I needed to be told the exact same thing 1 yr ago (see my MDapps, we're remarkably similar). Rock the MCAT. It will be a dealbreaker/maker for you.

Agreed. All 3 of those schools are great schools. Aim higher with the MCAT and you should be in a better place. You can spin a low GPA as a result of great extracurricular accomplishment, including getting publications. Not so with the MCAT.

Hoya,

How did you go about getting a 35 on your MCAT? I am in the process of studying and will be taking the test in May. What was your studying technique like?