2 quick MCAT Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessie12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!
I thought it would be better to post here, since the MCAT forum seems to focus on study Questions only
1)are we allowed only 10 minute breaks (no longer)? Someone told me that 10 minutes is a guideline, and that the next section doesnt start until you sit back down at the computer. So for instance, if I take an extra 5 minutes to eat lunch, that wont affect me right?

2)how would you say the AAMCs compare with the real CBTs? I have taken 3 practice AAMCs so far, scores of 30, 32, and 30. Should this approximate my real score? did anyone think there was a large discrepancy between their real and practice AAMC scores?

Any help would be amazing! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the AAMC practice tests were very good approximations; when I found out my real score there were no surprises. The only thing that was off is that the breaks seemed shorter because you have to get fingerprinted every time you leave the room so I actually didn't have time to eat any snacks or anything like that. As for taking an extra five minutes, I made sure I was back on time after each break, but would you really want to risk losing time just to eat your lunch? It's only 4 1/2 hours so you should be fine without eating anything (trust me on that one, I need to eat like every 3 hours normally)

hm...really? ok..is it possible for me to bring snacks and stuff them in my pocket or something? I seriously need to eat right after verbal :p

No, they don't let you bring anything into the testing room including food. You should be able to scarf down a cookie or something even with check-in/check-out delays.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they don't let you bring anything into the testing room including food. You should be able to scarf down a cookie or something even with check-in/check-out delays.

You people really are not eating lunch? Where's the energy food? I thought we got a lunch HOUR, or is that before they became computerized?

Hmmm, maybe testing sites are different now. Back in the old days (April 2006), we took the paper and pencil version and we were allowed to have things to eat. I didn't take a ribeye steak with me, but I had a Mt. Dew and a few granola bars. No one specifically told me not to do it at the site. I munched and sipped while testing. I made sure not to make any noise though. The proctors didn't care.

Are the new computer administrations different than this?

Hmmm, maybe testing sites are different now. Back in the old days (April 2006), we took the paper and pencil version and we were allowed to have things to eat. I didn't take a ribeye steak with me, but I had a Mt. Dew and a few granola bars. No one specifically told me not to do it at the site. I munched and sipped while testing. I made sure not to make any noise though. The proctors didn't care.

Are the new computer administrations different than this?

With the CBT test, you really don't have time for anything close to a full meal. I had water and granola bars personally. Because it takes so much time to actually check in and out, you get at most 5 useful minutes out of your breaks, so don't waste your time. Also, you won't get to wear anything but an analog watch, so make sure you have that or you might loose some time.

The CBT test seems a lot faster, just make sure you calm yourself down and you'll do ok. I took the April 16th, 2007 test if anyone wanted to know

I don't think I ever waited the full 10 minutes, but I have a feeling that the test might start right away. Otherwise, people would be taking 30 minute breaks. They have to keep it standardized in some way.

Also, everyone is right about not having time to really do much. I think I ate a Granola Bar and sipped some Gatorade for a few minutes during one break. Another break I went to the bathroom and came back with only about 30 seconds to spare. 10 minutes is much less time than it sounds like.

There is no hour long lunch break with the CBT. Where I took mine, there was a staggered start to the testing so no one started or ended their break at the same time that I did (so I didn't have to wait at all for checking in/out). You can't bring anything into the testing room but I had enough time to eat some granola bars and other little snacks.

Personally, I don't think anyone would take a chance on their MCAT and see whether it waits until you confirm to restart after the break, would they?;)

As for me, I was the only person taking the MCAT at my testing site(international)- sometimes restrooms could have a queue- plus I didn't feel like losing my momentum by eating anything. I did gulp down some water and hot chocolate in my breaks- and that did help!

Here's what I plan to do since after the verbal my stomach will start to growl.

In class, I get a meal replacement shake (Ensure) and drink it down within minutes and it lasts for several hours and does the trick.

You can get it out the locker and drink it down on the way to the bathroom and get everything done that way.

I would also bring a can of Dew to chase it with to get the test out of my mouth in addition to the caffiene rush.

This should fix the time problem and give you plenty of energy and a more full feeling than a couple of cookies.

hi everyone!

2)how would you say the AAMCs compare with the real CBTs? I have taken 3 practice AAMCs so far, scores of 30, 32, and 30. Should this approximate my real score? did anyone think there was a large discrepancy between their real and practice AAMC scores?

Real MCAT scores seems to be within a (+)(-) 2 point range of the AAMC practice tests for most people. However, nerves can play a big part and decrease a score. So, if you are a nervous person, you made need to take that into account.

You people really are not eating lunch? Where's the energy food? I thought we got a lunch HOUR, or is that before they became computerized?

The approximate time you'll be in there, assuming you use ALL the time they give you is like 5 1/2 hours. That's 70 minutes for each of the science sections, 60 for each Verbal and writing, 10 minute breaks in between, a 10 minute tutorial at the beginning (or maybe it was 5...) and a 10 minute survey at the end. So no, you don't get a lunch hour. Eat before you go.

I personally didn't take any of the breaks. As soon as the break screen came on, I stretched out, emptied my mind, then got right back to work. Got a 36R out of the deal...

didn't bother to read the other posts, but can offer this..

you could bring food if you store it in your locker they give you outside of the testing room..

further, i took longer than 10 minutes for my break (barely), but when i came in, all the computer did was have an alert message up on my screen saying my break was over. therefore, you can take longer than 10 minutes.. i just dont know how much longer..

hi everyone!
I thought it would be better to post here, since the MCAT forum seems to focus on study Questions only
1)are we allowed only 10 minute breaks (no longer)? Someone told me that 10 minutes is a guideline, and that the next section doesnt start until you sit back down at the computer. So for instance, if I take an extra 5 minutes to eat lunch, that wont affect me right?

food is for wimps....

j/k :p Good luck to ya.

Personally i am going to go straight through with just a 10-15 sec break in between passages to flush my brain.