2 Research Projects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year med student who is currently doing a retrospective clinical study during my first year, but in the summer, I would like to get started on a second project. Do you think that having 2 mentors is a bad form? What if your second mentor is in a different department? How would residency programs see an applicant who is doing research in two completely different departments?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year med student who is currently doing a retrospective clinical study during my first year, but in the summer, I would like to get started on a second project. Do you think that having 2 mentors is a bad form? What if your second mentor is in a different department? How would residency programs see an applicant who is doing research in two completely different departments?

Thanks a lot

I don't imagine this would be anything other than a positive all the way around.

I'm a proponent of the honest route. I certainly wouldn't lie to either mentor that you're "fully committed" to the department, or "I want to go into this department for sure" while you do this, but as I'm sure you've seen, ambition and hard work go a long way. So just show ambition, make sure you don't spread yourself too thin over the summer and try to make your PIs look good.

Nah, noones going to care. Shows you had a diversity of interests, were seriously committed to research, and could manage the work.