2 semesters gen chem lab required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanide12345678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I sort of already know the answer to this. But I need to convince my girlfriend who has been told by a lot of people that she only needs 1 semester (that is 1 credit hour) of gen chem lab to fulfill premed requirements. Yes I've shown her MSAR too but she talked to a medical school directly (U of I at chicago) and the people there told her she was fine with 1 credit hour of gen chem lab *humph*...I'm skeptical about what she was told.

So...don't a majority of the schools require two semesters (2 credit hours) of gen chem lab? Because as far as I know, only a very few schools would require only 1 credit hour. I'm surprised how the people at the U of I told her that she only needs 1 semester of lab when in MSAR it says 2 semesters pretty clearly *humph*

So what does everyone think :) Thanks for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

brb installing Mac OSX, can't see pics

(yes she needs 2 semesters at most schools. Even if the school she's looking at only requires one, there is no guarantee that she's going to get into that specific school)

Yep, you're right. Convince her to take both semesters with the lab or else she will be left with very limited options.

She also needs 2 semesters of orgo, and second semester gen chem + lab is a prereq for orgo I. I thought all schools required you to take the lab and lecture together for gen chem?