2 semesters of physics over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red135

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a horrible idea?
The way my schedule is planned, I'll be taking both semesters of physics this coming summer (between my sophomore and junior years). I think this is a fairly common thing to do at my school (USC), but is it a smart idea?
For some background info: I'm more than willing to admit I am awful at math, chem, physics, basically all classes with numbers and calculations... but I was thinking that if I take physics over the summer, then I won't have to worry about anything else (i.e. my summer will revolve around physics and I won't do anything else), whereas if I were to take it junior year, I'd have 3 other fairly difficult classes plus MCAT studying to worry about, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend taking them both in the same session, but if it's in a series and you really apply yourself in both it should be fine. I took second semester of physics alongside calc II during the summer between my soph/junior years and did well in both even though I really suck at math and physics, so I think it's definitely doable. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this, but I had taken AP and just needed calc based for my major (and I would generally say I'm pretty good a math etc.). I wouldn't recommend it if you think that you'll need the physics again in your life because you have to learn it all so fast that it doesn't have time to sink in.

Is this a horrible idea?
The way my schedule is planned, I'll be taking both semesters of physics this coming summer (between my sophomore and junior years). I think this is a fairly common thing to do at my school (USC), but is it a smart idea?
For some background info: I'm more than willing to admit I am awful at math, chem, physics, basically all classes with numbers and calculations... but I was thinking that if I take physics over the summer, then I won't have to worry about anything else (i.e. my summer will revolve around physics and I won't do anything else), whereas if I were to take it junior year, I'd have 3 other fairly difficult classes plus MCAT studying to worry about, too.

I think this is fine. You'll take physics 1 + lab first summer session, and the physics 2 + lab the second summer session. I did this with my gen chem sequence, and it was nice to have an intensive focus on the subject. Just be sure to get any help you need from professor, TA, tutor, etc. since you proclaim to be bad at this kind of stuff.

you can definitely do it. i did two semesters of calc in one summer and killed them.

Summer classes are always doable - but I will never take one again if I can at all help it. The info comes at you WAY too fast.

I did a year of physics over the summer between soph and jr year, have no regrets about it.

I did a year of physics over the summer between soph and jr year, have no regrets about it.

:thumbup::thumbup: Did the same thing at my state university back home. Back to back sessions of non-calculus based physics...i was in school from mid May to Mid August, it sucked ass, but man i was happy when it was over.

If you arent good at physics, its gonna be hard no matter where you take it. Its just a matter of how long you will be suffering. I chose to suffer as little as possible, and it was a great decision.

I'll be the lone voice of descent here and say that I have seen many smart people fail miserably at physics. I'd be wary at doing it over the summer, if you have doubts. It just leaves so much less time to recover if you fall behind. However, I'm a math/physics tutor, so my opinions may be overly negative.

ask around and see how fellow classmates have done with your university's summer physics courses. a good professor who teaches this course over the summer will know how to cram most of the important material in, so that you leave at least knowing something about physics.
at my school, my physics1 summer prof rocked and his course was doable. he told the class specifically which types of problems they needed to know for his exams. physics 2 however, was a nightmare. the prof curved like mad, but barely spoke english. i ended up W-ing from 2.
if you plan to take it though, be prepared to spend a lot of time studying studying studying. generally though, professors tend to curve more/grade more leniently over the summer semester than the fall or spring

i agree on lessening the amount of time suffering, that is why i chose summer semesters.

Last edited: