2 shifts a month in wisconsin, 4 in denver, 6 in kansas city...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen ads that say, "do 6 24hr shifts a month and get paid $190K/yr"

how common is it for ER docs to be traveling all over the US like this?

Also, Is the job market in most large cities saturated, so that physicians have to travel to get work?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a lot of people do it but they are out there. One guy in my group works about 8 shifts a month for us (10s) and works several shifts in Colorado. One guy lives in Montana but works all of his shifts here in Vegas. He does 8-10 in a row then goes home. We had a guy a while back who split time between here an Miami and another between here an New Orleans.

How common is this for say someone right out of residency versus an experienced EM doctor? I've been told of an EM physician near me who does 12 shifts every two weeks, then he has his next 2 weeks off. Are those opportunities available when you are new to the hospital, or do scheduling privelges come with "seniority"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a guy who flew out to CT and back (paid by group) who did 12 shifts every month and then went back to CO for the rest.

How common is this for say someone right out of residency versus an experienced EM doctor? I've been told of an EM physician near me who does 12 shifts every two weeks, then he has his next 2 weeks off. Are those opportunities available when you are new to the hospital, or do scheduling privelges come with "seniority"?
The cases I've seen it's not about experience. It's about being willing to work nights. The guys I know tend to work all nights and so when they say I'll work all nights but I want them all in a row we try to accomodate them.