2 SLOE's alone enough to get interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted284725

I've seen several programs asking for 3 letters of recommendation, usually with 1 required SLOE. I will have 2 SLOE's by 10/1 with another coming in early November. Will 2 SLOE's be enough to get interview invites, or do I need to try and get an individual letter?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard some programs will not consider you complete until you have all 3 letters in, though the easiest thing to do is contact one of the programs you are worried about an ask them directly.

Is there anyway you can get a third letter to act as a place filler? One of the 3 letters I have is from IM, it basically is there to fill the 3 letter requirement until my last SLOE comes in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. Still waiting on my third SLOE from way back in the spring. If it's not in by 9/30, I'm just going to submit a placeholder LoR from family medicine as my third.

FWIW last year I got all my interview invites with two SLOEs (my third didn't come in until December). I did not have any standard LORs, either.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 0 SLOEs. There are exceptions. Strive to get your app complete by the day of submission then update as appropriate.

Send what you have and get another attending to write you a letter for now.

FWIW last year I got all my interview invites with two SLOEs (my third didn't come in until December). I did not have any standard LORs, either.
Sorry, just to be clear, you had ONLY two SLOEs, and no other letters and you got your interviews? I'm in the same situation and may have to scramble to get a bull**** medicine letter

Sorry, just to be clear, you had ONLY two SLOEs, and no other letters and you got your interviews? I'm in the same situation and may have to scramble to get a bull**** medicine letter

Yup! TWO sloes, not a single other letter...until December when my third SLOE was uploaded. It was definitely a source of anxiety and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since I did that away in August/September, but it worked out in the end.

Yup! TWO sloes, not a single other letter...until December when my third SLOE was uploaded. It was definitely a source of anxiety and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since I did that away in August/September, but it worked out in the end.

That's ridiculous. Was that at an ACGME residency program?

Last edited:
Would you care to add to the interview thread or too nervous :p lol

Last edited:
Well to contribute to this thread, I have applied with one SLOE and I already have 10 interviews including three from top tier programs. So, while the number of SLOES can definitely help - the entire application may be what is most important.

Happy to hear that you're contributing to the interview thread ;)