2 week electives for 4th years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velouria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

Does anybody know of any schools/hospitals that allow two-week electives in EM or Peds EM for visiting students?
I have a tight schedule but was hoping to squeeze in something. So far I've only found 4-week electives available.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all

Does anybody know of any schools/hospitals that allow two-week electives in EM or Peds EM for visiting students?
I have a tight schedule but was hoping to squeeze in something. So far I've only found 4-week electives available.

Thanks!

You probably won't find one. EM rotations usually include a variety of shifts, including a string of nights, so you'll never get the experience you need in 2 weeks. How tight can a 4th year be though?

UNiv of cincinnati does... but i think possibly only after 5/21. they also have a 5/2 to 5/19 slot. this is peds EM, not regular. i know cuz i have a 3 wk elective set up with them (originally 2 wk, but i requested an additional wk). however, i'm not really taking it as part of required college coursework

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all

Thanks!
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Pediatric ED, I believe has a 2-week elective.

Brown University has several shorter (2-3 week) electives in E-med and other areas. I wasn't able to find any such short electives at the Boston area schools. Good luck!

Interesting. I had no idea there was such flexibility. I guess, as always, it comes down to the institution and their policies/ preferences. Does anyone have experience doing rotations longer than four weeks? One PA student rotating through our ED said we were only able to accomodate her for four weeks, although her school does six-week rotations.

harbor ucla and loma linda both have (or rather, had last year) 2 week electives.

I thought I saw a toxicology EM elective at Scott and White in Texas that was two weeks.

Good luck.