2 weeks till the DAT, what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topher67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been taking DATqvault exams and my scores are Bio, GC, OC range between a 18-23. Some test are 22/23 and every now and then one will be a 18/19. This has me worried! This has me praying for questions I know on the real test. lol
Would it be wise to go back through all of these exams again, even if I remember the answers from the first round?
My main fear for the test is bio section and getting questions about reactions for OC that I have not remembered. Also would you go through the DAT destroyer Bio section again?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't do any more practice exams. Instead, I would go back over ALL of your study resources (at least) one last time. Destroyer, Chad, Cliff's AP--whatever you used, go back over it in its entirety. I think that is much more useful than practice tests, which only test you on a random fact here and there.

Two weeks before the exam I would focus on taking a few full length tests and stimulating testing conditions to practice timing and endurance. I would then thoroughly go through all the exams. Although the questions can be random they can lead to to learn huge facts and big pictures, especially because bio is so broad and you may catch a huge weakness, for example it took me several practice tests to full understand the digestive system and what kind of questions would be asked about it!

It takes me around 15 minutes per science section, so timing is definitely not a concern. haha So would y'all focus more on what I already know, learn new material, or both? I feel like I know all the material, I am just concerned they might ask a specific part or angle that I will not know the answer to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is only taking you 15 minutes per section and you are answering everything correctly it seems like you are set to take the exam. I would focus on what you know and just work from there. You can never know absolutely everything and you will probably see something on the test that you are unfamiliar with, but don't panic. Use process of elimination and apply what you know. If you've studied hard and looked over a great deal of study material you shouldn't be worried. I had the exact same concerns as you and was pleasantly surprised. If you'd like take a look at my breakdown and my advice.

At this point, I wouldn't focus much on learning new material. Just review, review, review! If you've used the right resources, it should all be in there.
A lot of people do swear by practice tests, so take them if you think they help. However, I still wouldn't recommend taking one too close to your test. If you make a fluke bad score, it might mess up your confidence. You'd think this wouldn't really make a difference, but it can mess with your head! I never took a practice test EVER, but everyone works differently. I just didn't find them to be the most efficient use of my time. :) I did pretty well, so I stick strongly with that ideology!! Hah! :D

Best of luck to you! It sounds like you'll kill it.

The exams were a decent guide to helping me study what I wasn't strong on, but I think your right about the confidence aspect! Oh I forgot to mention, QR is great except I could use a trig update, mainly the question types that ask what is sin2theta equal to for example. Kaplan blue book is not that great for trig. Youtube? or know of any other online sources that would help?

How would it look if I hit a home run on every subject above a 20 and made lets say a 16/17 on a science?

How would it look if I hit a home run on every subject above a 20 and made lets say a 16/17 on a science?

Behind your AA, the sciences are generally regarded as the next most important section. Really, though, the sciences just aren't that bad. I was worried about GC and Bio before going into my test, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Furthermore, lots of people think that OC is the easiest section on the test! Just go in there with confidence. If you've studied the right resources (which it seems like you have), you should do well on the sciences.

How many times do you have to review the destroyer? I do 20 problems per section per day except for the bio and the qr. I will do yhe the destroyer 5 more times. Will that achieve you a 30 on the dat exam

How many times do you have to review the destroyer? I do 20 problems per section per day except for the bio and the qr. I will do yhe the destroyer 5 more times. Will that achieve you a 30 on the dat exam

Nothing can guarantee you a 30. I'd say that once you get into the 25+ range, some of it comes down to luck. You may get a test that is more tailored to your skills, or you may not. There is simply too much information out there in the sciences for a 30 to EVER be guaranteed. It's good to aim big, but don't expect a score like this! You're setting yourself up for failure.

I think I only did the Destroyer 2 times. The first time took a long time as I had to learn how to do all the problems, the second time went by MUCH faster. I did it during my last week of studying, and was able to get through it (thoroughly) in about 4 days.

I don't know that 5 times is all that necessary. You'll probably have answers simply memorized by then.

Plus, honestly, I much preferred Chad for GC and OC, and I think Barron's AP Bio was the best BIO resource. I'm not a big fan of the Destroyer.