2-Year Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDC12304

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm contemplating a 2-year Army HPSP scholarship. If anyone has any experience + or - with a 2 year scholarship I would be interested to hear what you have to say about it.

Also, I was recently told by a recruiter that as a 2-year recipient I would have to attend a 13-week OBC, as opposed to the 6-week OBC - which, apparently, is reserved only for those completing OBC before MSI or between MSI and MSII. Is this true? Also, anyone with any knowledge of the 2-year scholarship I'd like to know when you actually had time to complete OBC.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you plan to do two-years as a GMO or know for sure you don't want to specialize in something with a residency longer than 3 years?

Last edited:
I assume you plan to do two-years as a GMO or know for sure you don't want to specialize in something with a residency longer than 3 years?

I'm not considering the 2-year HPSP because of a shorter ADO. It just happens to be that I'm getting to the party a little late, if you will. This is mainly the result of long turn around times for my MEPS physical and my near completion of ASR before that program was suspended. I am fully aware that if I complete a 4 year residency I will owe 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take the "scholarship."

The only way a 2 year can work in your favor is if you do GMO/FS for your commitment, which sucks. This I know firsthand.

Otherwise you are being bent over by uncle sam, while accruing no financial or professional benefit.

Please think about your future- if you are on fire to serve, fine, do it after you have secured residency training and can offer something constructive.

61N

I'm not considering the 2-year HPSP because of a shorter ADO. It just happens to be that I'm getting to the party a little late, if you will. This is mainly the result of long turn around times for my MEPS physical and my near completion of ASR before that program was suspended. I am fully aware that if I complete a 4 year residency I will owe 4 years.

Kind of have to agree with 61november. If you do the 2 year scholarship, you will either do a two year GMO post internship and get out, or do a 3-5 year residency in a military program and then owe that time in service obligation. Meaning that the pay for two years and get 3-5 out of you before they cut you loose. If you want to do a career in the military, then this is what it is and you might as well do the military residency. If you don't think that you want to do a career, then the FAP program might be a better fit for your situation. FAP lets yo udo a civilian residency (that you make civilian pay during) plus you get a stipend on top of that, plus a $45k (last time I looked at Army) a year bonus for each year you take it. Your obligation is then 1 year for each you take the money, plus 1. (4 year res=5 year obligation)

That could let you pay down, or off, your student loans, which would leave you in the same place as the scholarship anyway, but with the added bonus of avoiding any military influence on your residency choice.

Good luck.

In your situation, the FAP has got to be the way to go. If you don't mind serving the AD committment, the financial and professional considerations both favor FAP over a 2 year HPSP.

Thanks for all of the responses. It really does help to hear the opinions of those who have lived what I am contemplating signing up for.