2 year break before medical school. I need advice on what to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickyrawly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to go to graduate school, so why do you think that's the best option and only option you're asking about?

Do whatever you enjoy. There are plenty of things to do for several years before med school. Just live like a normal person and work, volunteer, hobbies, travel, etc.

I worked full-time in the field of my degree (not a science) for 3 years before going to med school and I loved it. It was also nice to have some money saved up before taking on loans of med school.

If you want research I would suggest look at local colleges for any positions. If you have any big health systems near you, you can go online and do a job search for research and see if anything is available. What I did is asked a doctor I had shadowed who referred me to another doctor who did research at a medical school and got my in there. Use those connections!

Other options include Teach For America or City Year if you are interested in teaching/mentoring at all. TFA is a two year commitment and City Year is only one year. Also other various AmeriCorps programs are a year long and you can do just about anything with that. Can also look into becoming a CNA. Course cost varies but it's about $800-1000 near me but you'll make that up quickly working for two years.

Don't spend money taking classes you don't feel like taking, make money instead!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want research I would suggest look at local colleges for any positions. If you have any big health systems near you, you can go online and do a job search for research and see if anything is available. What I did is asked a doctor I had shadowed who referred me to another doctor who did research at a medical school and got my in there. Use those connections!

Other options include Teach For America or City Year if you are interested in teaching/mentoring at all. TFA is a two year commitment and City Year is only one year. Also other various AmeriCorps programs are a year long and you can do just about anything with that. Can also look into becoming a CNA. Course cost varies but it's about $800-1000 near me but you'll make that up quickly working for two years.

Don't spend money taking classes you don't feel like taking, make money instead!

Thanks! I'll definitely look into what you said. I would love to earn money. I'm tired of school for a while. :)

you could also retake anything below a B- and work on that GPA thanks to grade replacement.

Agree with the above, retake any F/D/C classes. Find a job that you will ENJOY (remember, you're already burnt out, do something you at least like). Whether that means research or healthcare or teaching, it doesn't matter application-wise.

I suggest finding a job that is as flexible as possible in order to maximize your time to prepare for the MCAT. Rmember not to study the same way as you did before, you must reinvent your study habits and prove (through practice tests) that it is working.

Best of luck!

I'm going to be in a similar boat, but for only 20 months instead of 2 whole years. I'm looking into substitute teaching at a local high school and continuing with my clinical work. Subbing is particularly flexible and I love teaching. Being off of school will be therapeutic for us both, I think. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I will have been out of school for over three years before I matriculate this upcoming summer. While I too was exhausted of school, I only took six months off before starting my retakes.

I work a full-time position in research and retook three classes at night over a period of a year while volunteering weekly.
I also studied for the MCAT after finishing these requirements for six months after work.
I suggest you might want to study longer and/or take a Princeton Review or Kaplan class if you haven't yet since your biggest weakness on your app is your MCAT score.

You will be busy if you choose to work full-time while volunteering and retaking classes and studying for the MCAT, but it will look very good on your app.
Don't waste the time applying to grad schools...especially if you need a break for a little bit.