MPH 2 year MPH program VS Accelerated 1 year MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indian-MPH-Aspirant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pursuing MBBS in India and intend to study Public Health after this. NOT QUITE INTERESTED IN STUDYING CLINICAL MEDICINE LATER.
Is an accelerated one year MPH the only MPH course available at Bloomberg/Harvard/Columbia?
How much of a difference there is, between a yearlong and two-years long MPH programme?
Which one is recommended in my scenario?

JHU is too hard to resist.

Members don't see this ad.

You do come across as a novice, which is not all that surprising. You are asking the right questions so thats a beginning. Now, the answers to your questions are quite plain and straightforward - on the individual schools website. Its just a matter of you doing some google search, connecting with alumni and engaging in conversation. So you're still in college - which gives you time to do your research and identify you dream schools and safe schools and start preparing in advance - with gee, toefl etc. This forum provides tons of information. you don't even have to be proactive - sometimes all that u need to do is take an hour off and read through the threads. Anyways - the difference between a one year and a two year MPH is a year. Which you perhaps already knew. But if you start doing your research you'd understand better which is a better fit for you - remind you both the programs teach the same thing - its about the speed at which you chose to go and summer breaks/internships that you're willing to forgo.

Start doing your research dude. A little over a year back I started from scratch and today I have am fortunate to have been accepted into several good programs. Good luck to you!

Pursuing MBBS in India and intend to study Public Health after this. NOT QUITE INTERESTED IN STUDYING CLINICAL MEDICINE LATER.
Is an accelerated one year MPH the only MPH course available at Bloomberg/Harvard/Columbia?
How much of a difference there is, between a yearlong and two-years long MPH programme?
Which one is recommended in my scenario?

JHU is too hard to resist.
Do the one year. It's better to use the extra year for research or work experience. The question you need to answer is what you want to do after you complete your education. Do you want to work for global health organizations like the WHO? Academia? Consulting? Really ask yourself if you need the MPH at all, and what it will give you that you absolutely need to get your dream job. Yes, a lot of public health professionals and physicians (including foreign medical graduates) pursue MPHs, but there are a whole lot of other degrees they get as well like MBAs, PhDs, etc.

Reactions: 1 user