2 year old LOR's / 2 gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilyroots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently graduated with my B.S. (in 2012) and am taking a gap year. I decided during this time that I want to apply to med school, but by the time I send in my applications (2013) my letters that were written in 2011 will have been 2 years old. So my questions are:

Should I supplement my pre-health committee letter with newer letters from my work/volunteer activities during the gap year?

Should I talk to the pre-health committee and ask them to change the dates on my letter packet?

If I send in my letters as they are, will the outdated letters hurt my chances?

I'd also taken the MCAT in '11 and have a great score. But I waited 2 years to apply even though I had both my test score/letters back in '11. There have been a lot of personal difficulties during that time, do you think it's a good idea to explain myself in my personal statement or in an interview?

Thank you for all your help!

P.S. I'd love to hear about anyone's similar experiences and how it has worked out for them, i.e. having everything ready but choosing not to apply for a year or two, experiences with older LOR's.

Members don't see this ad.