2 years of training in a non-ACGME fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juicyfruit12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth pursuing 2 years of fellowship training in a non-ACGME program? Yes or no, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

No. ACGME fellowships are the only recognized training experiences that count toward staff privileges at most hospitals...though some surgical sub-specialties may have exceptions.

I'm not certain you can say "most" hospitals. None in my area, or anywhere else I've lived, require it. I'm not sure there's any data for the country as a whole. "Some" or "Many" might be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not certain you can say "most" hospitals. None in my area, or anywhere else I've lived, require it. I'm not sure there's any data for the country as a whole. "Some" or "Many" might be better.

I practice in a rural area and our local community hospital is part of a large regional network. I was approached to review standards for credentialing in IPM. The template handed down to us from the "Big-Boys" in the Big-City listed base training in the usual specialties followed by an ACGME-approved fellowship. The "alternate path" included no fellowship but submitting multiple references, procedure logs, and 15-20 proctored procedures by an approved staff member--ie "me." :) Seems like a hassle...

I practice in a rural area and our local community hospital is part of a large regional network. I was approached to review standards for credentialing in IPM. The template handed down to us from the "Big-Boys" in the Big-City listed base training in the usual specialties followed by an ACGME-approved fellowship. The "alternate path" included no fellowship but submitting multiple references, procedure logs, and 15-20 proctored procedures by an approved staff member--ie "me." :) Seems like a hassle...

I got privileges at a hospital that is part of a major academic university hospital system without an ACGME fellowship. I've since withdrawn staff privileges, in that I do all my procedures at our ASC and don't do ANY inpatient work :laugh:

The the OP; I would only subject myself to a two year fellowship if they paid you attending wages. Someone is making $ off your work...

if you are talking about the hawaii gig, i suppose i can understand 2 years in honolulu. you'll be giving up a LOT of dough with 1 less year of attending salary and hawaii si an expensive place to live

The the OP; I would only subject myself to a two year fellowship if they paid you attending wages. Someone is making $ off your work...

You could say the same thing about residency. Or even one year of fellowship.

The main question is does a two-year fellowship make you more qualified, safe and secure to do pain medicine than a one-year fellowship? The secondary question is is the difference worth the cost/loss? Also, can enough pain medicine be learned in one year?