2 yrs degree than pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any specific 2 yrs degrees that meet the requirements for most Pharmacy Schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Something science related. However I doubt there is one that would cover everything you would need. Probably get close though. It's hard to make a specific recommendation because schools require different classes in order to obtain a degree.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. I do not have any degree close to what i have to cover in pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Associates of Science covers 95% of it. You probably will need statistics/economics and a few other silly willy electives.

There's an Associate of Science degree? And to think I thought there were no jobs you could get with a BS in biology.

There's an Associate of Science degree? And to think I thought there were no jobs you could get with a BS in biology.

oh trust me it is completely useless for anything other than saying you have it.

For me it covered most of what I needed and I didn't have to take anything in addition to what I needed to get it so it was a "why not?" type of thing.

oh trust me it is completely useless for anything other than saying you have it.

For me it covered most of what I needed and I didn't have to take anything in addition to what I needed to get it so it was a "why not?" type of thing.

I agree with the above...I have a friend who got the degree and she was working with me at a call center...She went back to school and became a registered nurse...

What did you major in?

haha.. my major was the pre-reqs for pharmacy school.

It does show me as having a specilization in pre-medical on my transcripts however.

My plan was to apply once I had the pre-reqs done and if accepted not worry about the bachelors. If I did not get accepted then I would have went on with a bachelors in chemistry most likely. It worked out that I did well enough with the pre-reqs and PCAT (barely) to not have to do the rest of the hoop jumping to get accepted where I wanted to go.

Yippee! That is my plan too...you have made my day.:D:oops: If you don't mind me asking what is your current GPA?

haha.. my major was the pre-reqs for pharmacy school.

It does show me as having a specilization in pre-medical on my transcripts however.

My plan was to apply once I had the pre-reqs done and if accepted not worry about the bachelors. If I did not get accepted then I would have went on with a bachelors in chemistry most likely. It worked out that I did well enough with the pre-reqs and PCAT (barely) to not have to do the rest of the hoop jumping to get accepted where I wanted to go.

There you have it. I have my Associate of Arts degree. AS degree is essentially all your English, Math, History, Communications and Sciences. Nothing above the 200 level in each. Essentially you could earn an AS degree from a community college and apply directly to pharmacy school. An Associate of Science alone is worthless though. Most places don't even list an Associate's Degree as a choice of education level.

Although in my case, I stopped math at college algebra and needed to go through Calc II.... as well as only having to take Natural Science... then needing Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics and Biology :( So I added 2 years onto my Associates Degree... so I now have over 175 quarter hours of credit and not even close to a BS. Thank God for being accepted to my first choice!

Yippee! That is my plan too...you have made my day.:D:oops: If you don't mind me asking what is your current GPA?

My pre-req GPA is a 4.0. I had one physical geology class in my first semester that I blew off and for some stupid reason never dropped so I had an F in it. I decided it was not worth worrying about re-doing so overall I have a 3.8 with around 100 credit hours.

Personally I think the biggest thing that helped me was the 4.0 on the pre-reqs. The way I looked at it (and ad coms as well I think) was that if I could do all the normal pre-req stuff (physics/chem, ochem/calc/micro/A&P) and ace all of it, then even if I did hit a snag in pharmacy school I should be able to struggle through it and still do fairly well.

The only thing I wish I had taken in addition to the normal stuff was bio-chem. The best extra classes I took are 2 semesters of medical terminology. It made all of the bio type classes easier because I could at least get some idea of what something was just from the words.

I didn't do anything spectacular on my PCAT. 73 composite but I only took it one time and I think that helped also. I know they say you can take it as many times as you wish... but I know if I were an adcom and I saw somebody taking it 5 times to crack the 70's and compared them to somebody that did a 70 on their first try... well you see what I'm saying.

Personally I don't understand why so many do not even attempt to get in once they have pre-reqs done. Yeah I think bachelors degrees help you get in but at the end of the day if you did well in the pre-reqs... what else do you need to know? By the schools very own admission you know everything you need to know to succeed in pharmacy school.

And beside that if you apply and don't get in what have you lost? A couple hundred bucks? That hardly seems like much of a risk in the long term to me.

Good Luck

My pre-req GPA is a 4.0. I had one physical geology class in my first semester that I blew off and for some stupid reason never dropped so I had an F in it. I decided it was not worth worrying about re-doing so overall I have a 3.8 with around 100 credit hours.

Personally I think the biggest thing that helped me was the 4.0 on the pre-reqs. The way I looked at it (and ad coms as well I think) was that if I could do all the normal pre-req stuff (physics/chem, ochem/calc/micro/A&P) and ace all of it, then even if I did hit a snag in pharmacy school I should be able to struggle through it and still do fairly well.

The only thing I wish I had taken in addition to the normal stuff was bio-chem. The best extra classes I took are 2 semesters of medical terminology. It made all of the bio type classes easier because I could at least get some idea of what something was just from the words.

I didn't do anything spectacular on my PCAT. 73 composite but I only took it one time and I think that helped also. I know they say you can take it as many times as you wish... but I know if I were an adcom and I saw somebody taking it 5 times to crack the 70's and compared them to somebody that did a 70 on their first try... well you see what I'm saying.

Personally I don't understand why so many do not even attempt to get in once they have pre-reqs done. Yeah I think bachelors degrees help you get in but at the end of the day if you did well in the pre-reqs... what else do you need to know? By the schools very own admission you know everything you need to know to succeed in pharmacy school.

And beside that if you apply and don't get in what have you lost? A couple hundred bucks? That hardly seems like much of a risk in the long term to me.

Good Luck

This is exactly what I'm doing except I don't have a 4.0 GPA :(. My goal is to keep my GPA above average at 3.6 since I don't have a BS and score at least an 80 on the PCAT.

If you don't mind me asking...
1. Did you attend a community college or a university?
2. Did you have experience or community service?
3. What schools did you apply to and which of them accepted you?

If you could tell me this, that would be great help and I will greatly appreciate it.

This is exactly what I'm doing except I don't have a 4.0 GPA :(. My goal is to keep my GPA above average at 3.6 since I don't have a BS and score at least an 80 on the PCAT.

If you don't mind me asking...
1. Did you attend a community college or a university?
2. Did you have experience or community service?
3. What schools did you apply to and which of them accepted you?

If you could tell me this, that would be great help and I will greatly appreciate it.

1. All of my prereqs were at CC.

2. Shadowing exp. but no "real" pharmacy experience. I have tons of community service in real "community" volunteer groups. mens clubs, town christmas parade committees and the like.

3. I applied to 3 school but had my interview at was accepted to my first choice before I had interviews at any of the others so I declined the interviews. My first choice was UACP. The reasons for that are that it is a 3 year school and I have a family and UACP is 30 minutes down the road from where I have a home (and a mortgage) so staying here was a blessing. UA is getting their full accredidation (assuming all goes to plan) in early 2009 so it may not be as easy to get in after that.. That part doesn't matter to me at this point just throwing it out there that it may have been a touch easier for me than it would be for others since it was a relatively new school. The other schools I applied to: Wingate and ETSU. (ETSU is also a new school but was a 4 yr school)

Last edited:
Gentlemen's clubs?

Yeah I had a few memberships to those over the years as well... but no...... thats not what I meant.

The town I live in has a mens club (think lions club/shriners or something like that) that supervises all the kids sports organizations like baseball, football, basketball, and you get the idea They also do things for under privileged kids around Christmas with a big party. They give gifts, clothing, food, financial assistance when needed to area kids/families in need.