2 yrs LOA. Chances of residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunner128

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a non-US IMG studying in my 4th year. Med school in my country is 5 years.

I was diagnosed with severe depression when I was in my 3rd year. Just before my 3rd year final exams, things took a bad turn, and I was admitted to a psych ward which resulted in me not appearing for the exam. After 1 year, I appeared for my 3rd year exams and passed. But the depression still persisted which resulted in me taking another LOA for 1 year. I took extensive therapy during that year and got better.
Now, I am cured of depression, and am in the process of completing my 4th year.

I know, my future residency application will have this major red flag and most of the PDs will not even consider my application for a residency. Do I stand a chance in securing a residency in a non- competitive field if I get good USMLE scores+ research + US clinical experience + LORs?

How should I explain my 2 yr absence from med school in my personal statement?

Is Internal medicine realistically possible if I apply broadly?

Members don't see this ad.

The issue isn't really about your 2 years leave of absence but the fact you're an IMG. Your chances are already pretty abysmal just from that standpoint and your LOA for depression probably isn't going to move the barometer significantly in either direction. The fact that you want IM makes your chances of matching above zero but you'll have to apply broadly and only to community programs with track records of taking IMGs. The best thing you can do to help your chances is to do some clinical stuff here in the US and build a relationship (do some major sucking up) with that home program so they're more likely to take you. Other than that not much else you can do.

Reactions: 1 user
The issue isn't really about your 2 years leave of absence but the fact you're an IMG. Your chances are already pretty abysmal just from that standpoint and your LOA for depression probably isn't going to move the barometer significantly in either direction. The fact that you want IM makes your chances of matching above zero but you'll have to apply broadly and only to community programs with track records of taking IMGs. The best thing you can do to help your chances is to do some clinical stuff here in the US and build a relationship (do some major sucking up) with that home program so they're more likely to take you. Other than that not much else you can do.
Hey, thanks for replying!
Yes, I’m gonna have to do some major sucking up.
Also, what are my chances of getting FM, Psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych was very competitive last year, on par with some of the sub specialties even. Hard to say if that will be a trend or a one off thing, but for planning sake might wanna consider it a pipe dream.

FM will probably be easier to match than IM, especially if you apply broadly and to community and rural programs.

That is a whole lot of "ifs".

OP, IF you do end up getting good USMLE scores + research + LORs + USCE...you might have a chance. But these aren't guarantees. In fact, it will be extremely hard to hit all of those boxes if not downright impossible as a non-US IMG. You need excellent USMLE scores, excellent research, and excellent LORs. Good is not good enough. Regardless, you should begin working on those before even thinking about a personal statement. Work on establishing important connections in the US because these go farther than anything. Psychiatry is competitive now, your best shot is FM. Good luck!

You need a 250+ on both steps.

Do what you have to to make that happen.

OP.. non-US IMG? If you’re not a citizen, that’ll make it even harder

Psych was very competitive last year, on par with some of the sub specialties even. Hard to say if that will be a trend or a one off thing, but for planning sake might wanna consider it a pipe dream.

FM will probably be easier to match than IM, especially if you apply broadly and to community and rural programs.
Hello, thank you for your reply! Yes, planning to apply to community programs, rural programs, any img friendly programs for that matter.

That is a whole lot of "ifs".

OP, IF you do end up getting good USMLE scores + research + LORs + USCE...you might have a chance. But these aren't guarantees. In fact, it will be extremely hard to hit all of those boxes if not downright impossible as a non-US IMG. You need excellent USMLE scores, excellent research, and excellent LORs. Good is not good enough. Regardless, you should begin working on those before even thinking about a personal statement. Work on establishing important connections in the US because these go farther than anything. Psychiatry is competitive now, your best shot is FM. Good luck!
Thank you so much for being truthful and frank!

OP.. non-US IMG? If you’re not a citizen, that’ll make it even harder
Yes, I know right? But the plan is to study and settle in the US. Things are not really great in my country for the LGBTQ population right now.

Really? On par with subs??

Ok, so the reason I’m thinking about the US is because I am a part of the lgbtq community and people like me are getting killed in my country for being who they are.
So that’s my main motivation.
Getting 250+ on the steps is a priority right now, and even then, a residency isn’t guaranteed, even in a non-competitive field.

Really? On par with subs??

84% matched per charting outcomes. Compare to the surg fields:

Gen surg 84%
Neurosurg 86%
Ortho 82%
ENT 95%
Plastics 85%
Vascular 90%

Has to be taken with a grain of salt and the right perspective (ex: avg Step 1 for psych was much lower than these other fields) but just by match percentage it was on par with the most competitive surg subs yes

84% matched per charting outcomes. Compare to the surg fields:

Gen surg 84%
Neurosurg 86%
Ortho 82%
ENT 95%
Plastics 85%
Vascular 90%

Has to be taken with a grain of salt and the right perspective (ex: avg Step 1 for psych was much lower than these other fields) but just by match percentage it was on par with the most competitive surg subs yes
Current psych applicant. It will be just as competitive this year based on other applicants I have met.

Reactions: 1 users