20/20: Sick in America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else watching 20/20 Sick in America? It's been very good.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it by John Stossel? Because that guy's a crock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it was very good, well most of it ...I didn't catch it from the beginning. I really like how they compared US health-care to the health-care of other countries. It was sort of like a rebuttal to Moore's sicko. He even interviewed Moore.

I think they gave an accurate depiction of how universal health-care really is. They show how in Germany, the UK, and Canada, how citizens were so frustrated that they were basically treating themselves (pretty scary). They also highlighted the inaccessibility to basic health care in these countries, there was the pregnant mom from Canada (correct me if I am wrong) who had to go to Montana to give birth and an older lady who had to travel here for a readily available procedure in order to live. I also liked how they showed the frustrations of the international doctors.

John Stossel can be very annoying, but I liked how he put Moore on the hot seat regarding universal health-care and on being more proactive in regards to his own health.

Anyway, there is always a bias. This time it pertains to US health insurance. I did not care for the way Stossel was trying to play up health savings accounts, I don't like how he only focused on the 'pros' and eliminated the 'cons' of this kind of insurance, making it seem as if, it is without drawbacks.

I thought the 'competition' segment between docs was pretty interesting, especially the upfront pricing. There was a segment on a doctor that gives upfront pricing for all his services and doesn't accept any health insurance, I thought that was pretty neat. Of course, they did not highlight the possible risks of involved in his conducting business in this way or the possible drawbacks, but it was still interesting.

All in all was a great segment, I hope to see all of it when it airs again. :)

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/

Yeah,

He obviously liked HSAs, and there was a limited amount of time. It was however, a surprisingly well thought out rebuttal to what you always hear in the media. The Stossel vs. Moore debate was priceless.

72466956.jpg

That is one SICK 'Stache.

Saw it. Thought he made some excelent points. Especially like how he tends to address the counterarguement to his thoughts, explaining why the other sides reasoning is wrong.