20 Days of Clinical Med Left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted113029

Calgon take me away!!!

Anyone know of how i can endure the last days while not rolling my eyes every time an acutely ill pt says, "the pain started about 10 yrs ago...but that went away. oh! you mean the pain that brought me to the hospital today. Well, that pain started about 10 years ago..." i do not have the patience for people who are broken records and have chronic vague symptomatology with poor mentation. Pardon me while i open a bottle of wine...:idea:

What also gets me are all my attendings saying, "what a waste of interpersonal skills, clinical skills and knowledge! you should rethink your career choice." To that, i just :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Screw them!

Plus, you can't start the countdown until you have FIVE days left. That's the cardinal rule of the SDN path forum

Members don't see this ad :)
hey man... i say villin can count down his clinical days as early as he wants - i'm probably somewhere in the upper 100s and i'm counting (sorta), so why can't villin!? :)

wah wah wah...that's just the way it is. The magic # is 5

wah wah wah...that's just the way it is. The magic # is 5

Yeah but you have to start doing stuff earlier and earlier thiese days since it's more competitive. In our day you could wait until you had five days left, but not anymore. ;)

Yeah but you have to start doing stuff earlier and earlier thiese days since it's more competitive. In our day you could wait until you had five days left, but not anymore. ;)

We're not talking about applying to fellowships here. We're talking about the light at the end of the FIVE day tunnel. ;)

OMG! What am I gonna do now? I might as well load the gun and pull the trigger. Oh you've so ruined my weekend.

5 hours of medicine call left until I go home!

5 hours of medicine call left until I go home!

Medicine call ends at what, 8pm for you? I call shenanigans. You cannot complain of call unless its overnight call. Your countdown priviledges have been revoked. :laugh:

BTW-Villin, its pretty nice sitting on my ass all day and doing whatever I want. You'll enjoy it soon enough.

Medicine call ends at what, 8pm for you? I call shenanigans. You cannot complain of call unless its overnight call. Your countdown priviledges have been revoked. :laugh:

BTW-Villin, its pretty nice sitting on my ass all day and doing whatever I want. You'll enjoy it soon enough.

You know dude...my last day of clinical medicine, my team was on call. Of course, me and the other med student told our senior resident, "Since it's our last day, technically our rotation ends at 5 pm today so we can't take call." Apparently it worked. The senior told us, "well I guess it's no use to have you admit patients today...let's see, it's 1:00 pm and all your patients are discharged. Why don't you take the rest of the day off...thanks for all your help." So we went home.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know dude...my last day of clinical medicine, my team was on call. Of course, me and the other med student told our senior resident, "Since it's our last day, technically our rotation ends at 5 pm today so we can't take call." Apparently it worked. The senior told us, "well I guess it's no use to have you admit patients today...let's see, it's 1:00 pm and all your patients are discharged. Why don't you take the rest of the day off...thanks for all your help." So we went home.

Call (particularly medicine call) sucks donkey ballz, don't get me wrong, but apparently the above poster has "short call" which, IMO, isn't that bad compared to an overnighter (I was Q4 overnight for two 4 week inpatient medicine blocks). Its pretty sweet that you got out early on your last day of medicine and avoided the call, which should be everyone's ultimate goal. My last week of clin medicine was derm which was half days so it wasn't that painful--but man did those last two drag on for like an eternity.

Call (particularly medicine call) sucks donkey ballz, don't get me wrong, but apparently the above poster has "short call" which, IMO, isn't that bad compared to an overnighter (I was Q4 overnight for two 4 week inpatient medicine blocks). Its pretty sweet that you got out early on your last day of medicine and avoided the call, which should be everyone's ultimate goal. My last week of clin medicine was derm which was half days so it wasn't that painful--but man did those last two drag on for like an eternity.

Call DOES suck donkey ballz! In fact, I would rather suck an emu's nutsac with your mouth rather than taking overnight clinical call.

I have to admit, it's pretty slack call. Only until 9 pm unless it's Fri or Sat night. But don't worry, I'll do my time w plenty of long call nights ahead...OB/Gyn is next...

Call DOES suck donkey ballz! In fact, I would rather suck an emu's nutsac with your mouth rather than taking overnight clinical call.

Thanks, d!ck. I vote you use DPL's mouth instead.

PHEW! What a long last 15 days...I'm back to say 5 days left! :D

Nice. I'm in the middle of formatting my 3rd hard drive right now. Apparently one of the drivers that came with this PC POS doesnt work and now I don't have sound. I've been on hold with HP for 10 minutes now. 5 more days and you too can waste time!

Nice. I'm in the middle of formatting my 3rd hard drive right now. Apparently one of the drivers that came with this PC POS doesnt work and now I don't have sound. I've been on hold with HP for 10 minutes now. 5 more days and you too can waste time!

i'm sorry to have misled you, but i've been finding novel ways to waste time during my last rotation while looking quite busy. :) in 5 days, i'll just waste more time than now. :laugh:

hope you don't have to hold too long. longest time i've been on hold for tech support was about an hour. :mad: +pissed+

I'm on OB/Gyn right now... iv'e been mastering the art of looking like I'm checking EMRs when I'm actually checking the forums! :)

OB/Gyn has ... not been my favorite rotation.

What you need to master on OB/GYN is the ability to act like you are managing (or helping with) multiple patients when in reality you are managing the ability to go back and forth between other places that aren't patient rooms.

Indeed. It's a useful life skill, the ability to look like you are doing something without doing anything. I'm sure you've all heard of "benign neglect" :)

Now, before people get all wigged out, I'm not saying we should waste our precious time at work not performing patient care-related activities.

I'm saying that everyone needs a break and if you have overweening supervisors who missed their calling in a middle management role, chances are that's the only way you're going to get one.

:soexcited: 21 clinical days left! Or 19 if I take the two optional days off next month. Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!

I actually like clinical medicine most of the time, but BOY has the senioritis set in!

threadnecromancy3038.jpg

I know! I know! But when I tried to start a new thread, this one popped up as a suggestion. What's a girl to do? :)

And yes, great pic.

I just sat here for 15 minutes trying to remember what my last clinical rotation as a med student even -was-. I guess it was what my med school called pre-internship, on heme-onc. I vaguely recall that my last rotation as a clinical intern was ortho surg. Oddly I only remember that because of the other intern on that ward and one troublesome patient everyone was trying to stabilize for surgery for a hip fracture. I guess all of that is to say that as important as it is right as you finish, it may not take long before it blurs away -- which is good and bad, I guess.