20 days till the Aug MCAT !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakethaiCSULA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be my first attempt with the MCAT and I'M A FREAKING OUT!!!!!!
anyone eles? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

A little bit of TEST ANXIETY here too.... but hey, carpe diem :)

I'll share my thoughts on the MCAT. Although, TBH, I am the person most people look at like I'm nutz... as I didn't think the MCAT was difficult (challenging yet do-able).

Many people get "freaked out" over taking the MCAT which effects confidence levels. Relax and remember you are taking a necessary step (just ONE of them) in fulfilling your dream of becoming a physician. That itself should make the test exciting not scary!!

IMO, the MCAT is a basic skills test for physicians. It test the core skills (notice 'skills' not 'knowledge') that you will need as a trained physician. Specifically, the MCAT tests:

Deductive Logic
Critical Thinking
Data Interpretation

All under a stressed (timed) enviroment.

I've looked at the MCAT as a learning tool for esssential tools I am going to use in the future. I think it is very significant to master these skills - for as a physician, I need them to make decision that will (literally) mean life and death for my patients. What is a measly 6.5 hour multiple choice test compared to that??

Remember, relax and have some fun with the MCAT!! You are starting to live your dream of being a physician...!!

Good luck!

-A

P.S. My goals in taking the MCAT:

(1) Relax and have fun with the test.
(2) Answer all the questions on the test with time to spare.
(3) Eliminate 2 choices before guessing.

I focused on these 3 items and accomplished them all. As a result, I felt I was successful with the MCAT. Additionally, I scored "very competitively."

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax ;).... I know easier said than done but it's a hard enough test as is.... you don't want anxiety on top of that.

Good luck

Hello,
I agree with Amra's advice. Just try to approach the test as a challenge and not an impossibility. The first time I took it, I was very nervous and as a result I did not finish two sections. This past spring I was much more confident and went in to do my best, and that's what I did - and I finished every section. I know it sounds hard, but try not to be nervous, just know that you're going to do the best that YOU possibly can do. Do a lot of practice tests and sections from now until the test but DON'T STUDY THE DAY BEFORE!!! Do something fun and try to relax the night before (go out to eat and to a movie or something). Get lots of sleep! Wake up early, do a little reading, get to the test sight early and then KICK SOME MCAT BUTT!!! Best of luck to you all.

:) Liz

Amra's advice is one of the best I have found on this forum. :cool: !!!

Dr.Perez

Well, there's still time to relax. Yes, I will be taking the MCAT for my first time, but here's some tips from Western University to help the stress. Plus, you still have time to do both of these: take a vitamin B6 complex every day till the exam and get at least 1200mg of Ca2+. I have already started these for a week and I feel great (then again, it's all probably psychological)! Yes, I still am anxious! Good luck! :eek:

OK, Im gonna go get some vitamins ASAP!!!

Im actually really looking forward to the 18th and just getting this thing out of the way. I have spent nearly every for the last three months getting ready for this damn test. I even gave up a killer summer internship in Minneapolis (where the girls are just crazy hot, by the way). So I figure I got a 30+ comin' to me from good karma and devotion alone.
I wish everyone good luck on this thing, and if all else fails then get mad dog mean and kick the living crap out of that son of a ***** they call MCAT. Don't forget to party rock-star style later that night!

-daveyboy

16 days to go! Hope everyone's still sane and doing well to break that MCAT!

Finally... I am a senior member - now, I feel so special :D :cool: :) ;) :p

Here's a hopefully inspiring story. I took the MCAT 3 times doing OK each time. I somehow managed to get into Med school. My MSI class just took the USMLE Step 1 Shelf exam and I would have passed if it were the real deal. Point being, I think the MCAT is actually a harder test than the USMLE, and this is your biggest speed bump. Good luck and knock-em dead.

Here's a little something to remember. Ultimately, your patients will not give a whig what you make on the MCAT. In fact, fancy gpa's and great scores are NO measure of how you can perform as a physician. Patients care about how you treat them emotionally and physically. Warm and caring attitude goes a lot farther than cold insensitive facts.

I know that this test is really important because it serves as a hurdle you must jump before attaining your goal. I was very nervous about the MCAT I took last August. And my score was not fantastic but I did fine. In fact I'm just finishing my first week of medical school.

So plug ahead, study hard, do your best and then let go of the stress. Be positive and you'll do great. ;)