USMLE/COMLEX 20% off & FREE Shipping on First Aid for the Wards!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrawHillMed

MH Medical Test Prep
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
20% off and FREE Shipping on First Aid for the Wards!

0071597964.jpeg

The perfect primer for the core clerkships written by students who excelled!

Don't begin third year medical school without reading this book! Written by students for students, this high-yield guide helps you move smoothly from the classroom to the wards. Thoroughly revised and updated, this comprehensive book explains what to expect in each required rotation and includes sample notes and reports, key facts, formulas, and protocols, and answers to "pimp questions" you will be asked on rounds.
  • Student-to-student advice on everything from what to wear to how to impress the attending physician
  • Know what to expect in every core rotation: medicine, surgery, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, neurology, psychiatry, and emergency medicine
  • Advice on presenting cases to attendings
  • How-to guides for common procedures
  • High-yield facts on the diagnosis and treatment of common diseases
  • Sample patient notes, clipboard and note-card patient templates
  • Updated student ratings of popular clinical handbooks, reviews, and texts
Click here to get the special price and shipping offer!* Offer is good until Friday, February 6th.

Leave us your thoughts and questions on this incredible First Aid resource!

:xf:McGraw-Hill Companies will be giving away one copy of this title to one lucky member! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Join our Mailing List for your choice of free e-newsletters and special offers.

*Discount only applies to books ordered directly from McGraw-Hill website

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How is this book organized? Does it include sections like "internal medicine" or subsections of larger fields, such as "cardiology"?

I'd be concerned that this is detailed enough to find the answers to pimp questions. Is this more of a preparation for shelf exams/in-house exams or is it a quick read to help as a reference?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be concerned that this is detailed enough to find the answers to pimp questions. Is this more of a preparation for shelf exams/in-house exams or is it a quick read to help as a reference?

I share similar concerns...

I have heard that this is a great text to use in preparation for third year of medical school. is there a section in here that discusses expectations of medical students on the wards?

my second year preceptor highly recommended it and I would like to give it a try

Hi McGrawHillMed,
Is this text to be taken as a prerequisite "primer" for third year, or rather, a guide to be read during third year?
Thanks!

My concerns are the same as the above.

Would this be more of a supplemental outline text to be used to get the general feel of a rotation while a more detail oriented text should be studied when approaching the shelf or does this give you everything you need?

This book is meant to be a survival guide rather than a comprehensive source of information for all possible pimp questions (although it will help with the most common questions). It provides some essential background for each core rotation in one resource.

The book begins with a guide for wards success and practical information for all clerkships.

It is a good overall guide to the wards, along with specific information for each core rotation, thus can be used as an intro of what to expect before starting rotations and an overview before and during each rotation.

It is a good overall guide to the wards, along with specific information for each core rotation, thus can be used as an intro of what to expect before starting rotations and an overview before and during each rotation.
I agree with this. Second years, this book is *not* enough for you to pass your shelfs, and it does not cover all the info you need to learn on your rotations. But it is very good as a primer or intro kind of book. Each of the sections offers an outline at the beginning that you can use to guide you on what to study. Some of the items from the outline are briefly discussed in the chapter for that specialty, and others are not. You will have to read about those topics from another source.

McGraw rep, it would be hugely helpful if your authors could beef up the section on outpatient medicine. There is all of half a page on preventive medicine, and that's the whole of it.

Are there questions in the end of each chapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.