20 on Mcat , WILL I STILL GET IN TO A OSTEO SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I got a 6-V, 6-P 8-B
I have a 3.31 GPA and a 3.25 Science GPA
I have alot of EC.
I am currently gonna be a senior in the fall. But i dont wanna retake this exam I wanted to relax this summer. has anyone ever gotton into a DO school with a 20. any help or idea will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah Let us know! My score nasty too...20! I have a 3.8 overall, and a 3.5-3.6 science...I'm only applying DO (and this was a decision before the MCAT!)

me too i always was applying only D.O.
I even took a osteopathic principles and practice class at NYCOM thru my college NYIT. I really want to become a D.O. I just hope I can make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I found out that I was meant to be a physician, I didn't think twice...I KNEW I wanted to be a DO..

I would suggest that you retake the MCAT. Although there are stories of people getting into osteopathic schools with a 20 or 21, I think it is very difficult to get in with that score. Especially since one of the 6's was in verbal. The first time I took the MCAT I got a 6 on verbal and I was asked about it at my interviews (but I had a 9 and an 11 on the other sections that took up the slack for that low score). I didn't get in the first time, and I think part of that was my low MCAT verbal score. I retook the MCAT and got a 10 on the verbal (by reading passage after passage after passage) and I got in the second time despite going down a point in the other two sections. I think you should aim for at least a 24 (then you would average 8's on each section) to have a better chance.

Good luck to all of you. Don't let anybody tell you you can't become a doctor. My pre-med advisor in undergrad told us we would be screwed and wouldn't get into medical school if we didn't get in right after we graduated (such a great motivator, huh?). I got in after I graduated, so I wasn't screwed! You can do it! :clap:

I agree. Take the exam again. Relax after you get accepted. To get into medical school it takes work and I hate to say it but you have little chance of getting an interview, let alone accepted with a 20.

To put things in perspective for you, I earned a 28, 3.2 GPA, 3.4 science GPA. That got me interviewed at only 4 out of 11 DO schools. I went to 3 of the interviews and got waitlisted at all 3. It wasnt until about 2 months later that I got accepted at 1 school. I'm only telling you guys this to let you know how difficult it is to get in. Take some time off, then begin studying for the August MCAT, because with August, if you get a decent score, you can still apply this year.

Best of luck to you guys and don't sweat it. My roommate took the MCAT 4 times because of his verbal score until he was able to well enough to get interviewed.

So now what should i do? I was gonna send in my application this week to AACOMAS. But now I have a 20 on my mcat. Im gonna retake and get a friggin 30 (i wish) but when do i send in my application????? help me please

i got in with a twenty, 6 on both science sections and 8 in verbal, i am african american so that is probably why. I would still apply, I too had some years of medical experience as a PT, all this will come into play in determining your admission

I am a native american indian, which I think will ehlp me a bit too, I also have volunteer time in physical therapy settings and in a emergency room. What school did u apply too?

I applied to TCOM, OSU-COM, NOVA, and WVSOM. I recieved an interview at all of them but TCOM.

A 20 on the MCAT is low. Schools usually have preliminary cut-offs. Some schools may not even look at your application.

The August MCAT is coming soon. I would commit myself to studying 6 days a week for 5 hours or so. Make a plan and stick to it. If you can raise your scores then that shows some major effort on your part.

I suggest that you still apply because you never know what will happen but also prepare for the August MCAT. Don't give up

ANTGOD22, I am sort of in a similiar situation as you. I spent close to three months preparing for the April 2002 MCAT at Kaplan. I made sure that I utilized ALL their resources. People joked about how I lived there! Did it pay off? Sort off, all for except 1 measly section called the Physical Sciences. I got a 9 on the Bio. section, an 8 on the verbal, a Q on the writing sample (all average to above average), BUT a 6PS! But you have to make the necessary sacrifices to go to medical school. I sure as hell am not thrilled to have to ditch my summer to go to Kaplan (esp. after spending the spring there), but that is what it takes to fulfill my dream. I have a 23 and I am unsure how DO adcoms will look at me b/c of the 6 in PS. I am taking NO CHANCES. I would advise the same for you! GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey njdesi,
I was shooting for a 23 to 24 on my MCAT. Let me tell you why. I go to NYIT and if I graduate with a 3.3 GPA and a 3.0 science GPA, and a 24 on my MCAT with a N on the writing sample, you get a guranteed interview. The chair of the science department told me I could even get in with a 23. I heard that other people have made nycom with 22's and 21's. So I think even if you dont get a better grade in august and you cant do better then 23 I say you still have a very good chance of making nycom. Well hope to meet you there august 2003.

I can't believe that such ridiculous posts still exist.

I'm never mean to anyone on the Student Doctor Network unless they respond inappropriately to my posts; but it's a RIDICULOUS assumption that you might stand even a slight chance of admission to any medical school in the United States--osteopathic or otherwise--with such an embarrassing score.

There are people that score higher than the standardized national average on the Med.CAT (~24) without even studying, and here you students are SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL with a combined score of 20!?!

I doubt anyone on earth cares about your whimpering excuse that you "...just don't perform well on standardized exams." Nobody's obliged to choose you over someone else with a much more convincing MCAT score. PUT THE EFFORT IN, AND YOU'LL GET RESULTS.

It continues to disgust me that Osteopathic Medical Schools attract students that try to "manipulate" the system by expressing a dishonest interest in a particular medical program simply because that program accepts an undisclosed number of students with low entrance exam scores.

I've read it mentioned above that "...probably the minority applicant might be accepted with a deplorable 20 MCAT score." If you've given any effort towards studying for the MCAT and still manage to get such a low score, you probably will be DISMISSED from the medical program that takes a RISK by accepting that applicant--minority or otherwise--due to poor academic performance. The New York College of Osteopathic Medicine was also mentioned above: whereas some students in the entering class might have low MCAT scores in the BARBARIC size of each year's class, there are also a substantial number of students that are DISMISSED due to failures (probably a higher percentage of dismissals than advertised by other medical schools) due to the corrupt effort of the school to provide too many physicians in the New York area. The students that are DISMISSED are not reimbursed the tuition that they were required to pay before failing out of the school.

Retake the MCAT and DO NOT APPLY WITH LESS THAN A 27.

Good luck.

My two cents-go ahead and apply with your scores...study hard over the summer and retake the MCAT in Aug. If medicine if what you truly want do not let anyone stop you. And by all means do not listen to the jacka$$ in the previous post. Some people are just ignorant. Prime example why there are many people with high MCAT/GPA's who are rejected. Would you want some sef-centered ignorant A$$ as your Doctor??

I vote for apply, study hard and retake the August MCAT. You may be able to work on secondaries and submit the applications while waiting for August MCAT scores. If you have any further questions, I suggest you call the admissions offices of the schools you are applying to. I found if you ask questions, someone will make a point to answer with honesty. YOu might as well get the answers from the people who review your applications!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by [email protected]:
•I can't believe that such ridiculous posts still exist.

I'm never mean to anyone on the Student Doctor Network unless they respond inappropriately to my posts; but it's a RIDICULOUS assumption that you might stand even a slight chance of admission to any medical school in the United States--osteopathic or otherwise--with such an embarrassing score.

There are people that score higher than the standardized national average on the Med.CAT (~24) without even studying, and here you students are SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL with a combined score of 20!?!

I doubt anyone on earth cares about your whimpering excuse that you "...just don't perform well on standardized exams." Nobody's obliged to choose you over someone else with a much more convincing MCAT score. PUT THE EFFORT IN, AND YOU'LL GET RESULTS.

It continues to disgust me that Osteopathic Medical Schools attract students that try to "manipulate" the system by expressing a dishonest interest in a particular medical program simply because that program accepts an undisclosed number of students with low entrance exam scores.

I've read it mentioned above that "...probably the minority applicant might be accepted with a deplorable 20 MCAT score." If you've given any effort towards studying for the MCAT and still manage to get such a low score, you probably will be DISMISSED from the medical program that takes a RISK by accepting that applicant--minority or otherwise--due to poor academic performance. The New York College of Osteopathic Medicine was also mentioned above: whereas some students in the entering class might have low MCAT scores in the BARBARIC size of each year's class, there are also a substantial number of students that are DISMISSED due to failures (probably a higher percentage of dismissals than advertised by other medical schools) due to the corrupt effort of the school to provide too many physicians in the New York area. The students that are DISMISSED are not reimbursed the tuition that they were required to pay before failing out of the school.

Retake the MCAT and DO NOT APPLY WITH LESS THAN A 27.

Good luck.•••••ya know nycom, you are such an insensitive idiot

[email protected],

I had a friend in undergrad with one of the highest GPA's of all the Bio majors -- he took the MCAT twice -- scored a 20 and 21.

So, here's a guy that was prior Special Forces in the Army, did research during undergrad, and was respected by his peers and professors alike -- and you would deny him an opportunity to attend medical school solely based on his MCATs?

Good thing you're not on any admissions committees -- my friend just finished his first year in the Top 25% of his class.

I suggest taking it again, but relax this time. I still haven't found my score out, but if I get a low score I will retake. As for NYCOM@JUNO

I suggest taking it again, but relax this time. I still haven't found my score out, but if I get a low score I will retake. As for NYCOM@JUNO, GROW UP YOU FRIGGEN *****. WHAT, ARE YOU 12 YEARS OLD? LIFE IS MORE THAN JUST A STUPID TEST! I feel sorry for people who are so empty inside they have to harrass people who are in need of some compassion and good advice. You are not a doctor I would want to see.

Thanks guys for your advice I will retake it and study harder then I every did before for a test. I spent 3 hours yesterday and 3 hours today studying bio. I'd like to know if you guys ever used the berkeley review materials or nova's review material for the MCAT??

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctortobee:
•Yeah Let us know! My score nasty too...20! I have a 3.8 overall, and a 3.5-3.6 science...I'm only applying DO (and this was a decision before the MCAT!)•••••--With a 20 your chances are quite low. A respectable MCAT score is a 24. If your score is not higher than that you dont have much hope.
Sorry.

[email protected],
must you write such an elaborate response to the 20 MCAT score? I mean I agree it is low, but you dont have to put people down like that. Do you have a problem with New Yorkers? Try to do better things in your time fool instead of picking on those that perform poorly.
-l8r

I agree with the posters that state you need to take the MCAT again. 20 is fairly bad. The only other input I have may be un-PC. Don't rely soley on URM status to get you in....do you want to be accepted because they think you will be a good doctor, or because they want to fill a slot with a URM? If you have the mentality that you will slide by with low scores because you carry a tribe's card, you may not be the type the tribe wants representing it. Just a point...I'm not saying thats what you're doing, but ponder what you're doing/saying before you do it.

Although it's true that some are accepted with low MCATs, they usually have something else in their application that is outstanding. I only know of one person who was accepted with a 21, but she had a 4.0 science GPA. Although Nycom may have been a bit harsh, his statements are fairly accurate. The fact is, just because someone wants to become a physician does NOT mean that they can or even should become one. Good intentions will not help you if you can't handle the curriculum. The first two years of med school are comparable to taking 20-24 credit hrs per semester! Not an easy task! Believe me, the topic HAS been analyzed and it's been shown that those with a verbal score of less than 8 will have a VERY difficult time keeping up with the workload. They're usually the ones who are dismissed for academic failure. Also, you often hear people say..."but I just don't do well on standardized tests". Unfortunately, that excuse doesn't carry much weight. If you can't get an acceptable score on the MCAT, how are you going to pass boards? I try not to discourage applicants, but at the same time, it's not fair to give them false hope. If the original poster really feels they have what it takes then they'll do what is necessary to prove it. If they can't prove it then perhaps they should consider other options.

Neurogirl DO, MPH

have any of you guys used exam krackers ???

also what was your studying time for this test?

give me a rough estimate please

whatever you do, do not give up until you feel you have exhausted ALL of your possibilities to better your MCAT and your overall application.....

I'll be starting DO school in August.....I first took the MCAT in 1995 and sat for the test 4 times...best scores were 25P and 24Q.....I did fairly well in my undergrad and grad programs and just kept plugging away, taking post-bacc/grad courses (take some tough courses and do well) .....I first began studying for the MCAT (self-study) in 1994 and am just now entering med school....bottom line.....don't ever give up!!

I finished podiatry school with a 3.6. The first two years are very comparable to the first two years of medical school (determined in a study by an MD and PhD....one was named Franklin Medio). Our courses mirror the basic sciences for all intents and purposes.

Point is I got a 6 on my VR (which I'm still having trouble grasping) and I did quite well in my first two years of podiatry school.

The MCAT's not fool proof.

If I were the person, I would go ahead and apply. I'm not sure of your experiences or gpa, but I personally know people that are current med students (DO) with MCAT scores in the range of 18-22. Don't listen to this 27 crap.

I think I've seen the statement "I'm just not good at standardized tests" accompanying most posts on low scores, and I always wonder "WHY??". Why are you not good at standardized tests? And why do some people seem so willing to accept this fatalistic opinion of their test taking ability, and thus continue to perform poorly on standardized tests all the while hiding under the umbrella of "Well, I'm just not good at those kinds of tests."?

If you haven't done so already, take some practice tests, and tear them apart afterwards. What did you get wrong, and WHY??? Did you not know enough background material? Do you always get certain types of questions wrong? Do you often select the "attractor" answers? Do you get burnt out near the end of a passage, doing worse on questions 6-9 than on 1-5? It's usually not random, there's usually a pattern, and if you can figure it out, you can break it and get an awesome score. Prep courses are fine, but unless you interpret information the way the instructor does, the "how" they teach you in the course my not be helpful for you (although the review of the material is helpful for most people anyway). Do passages with other people, and talk out why you picked certain answers before you look to see what is correct. I used to hate studying with other people, but in Australia I started doing it, and was surprised at the paths that other people took to get to the same, or a different, answer. If anything, by doing this you can learn different approaches to questions and that can help too.

If you have a good GPA, you are definitely capable of doing well on the MCAT, you just need to figure out why you're not and apply it. If you have a bad GPA, you have two things to figure out. But, like others say on here all the time, it CAN be done. Take the damn thing again, it's a bitch, but I think it's necessary to show that you weren't willing to accept a 20.

I got a 21 on my MCAT, had a 3.4 gpa and I will be entering medical school this fall at the University of Health Sciences. I think the reason I was accepted was for the fact that I have participated in so many extra curriculars and also have multiple other certifications, that was my foot in the door.

I do not believe that a person should be judged and determined what kind of doctor they will be by simply examining their numbers. There are a lot more to a person than their scores. I have personally spoke to physicians that said they eitehr had low MCAT scores or that they had to take the test multiple times. So because they took the test three times, does that mean they are any less of a physician? No it doesn't!

That is my 2 cents worth

Bottom line, if you want to be a doctor and work your tail off, you will become a doctor!

Chris

We had someone come to our school from the West Virgina school of Osteo and they said that they have seen people accepted with as low as 18-19 mcat's... My guess is that these people were probably nontraditional applicants affected by one section of the test.. You have to consider the entire application, including your gpa, extracurriculars, volunteer experience, etc.. If you a serious about becoming a doctor, you may want to consider taking the mcat again, but there is always hope!

You gotta take it over...sorry man... I was a BS/DO at NYIT. Now, I am MS-II at NYCOM. Fortunately, I fulfilled all my requirements. Unfortunately, some of my undergrad colleagues didn't, and were forced to apply for class of 2006. They still didn't get in this year (after taking the MCAT over and scoring anywhere from 20-23). You are NOT guaranteed anything just because you are an NYIT student. Besides, a score of 20 will probably get you nowhere in terms of NYCOM admissions process because believe it or not, the standards are definately rising for admission into NYCOM. Just dishing you the truth, even though it may hurt.

MS II FINALLYYYYYYYYYYY

WOO HOO

WHOS YOUR DADDY

Thanks JP,
I defintily will be taking them over in august

Posted by Doc Oc

I think I've seen the statement "I'm just not good at standardized tests" accompanying most posts on low scores, and I always wonder "WHY??". Why are you not good at standardized tests?

It's not fair to judge people until you have walked a mile in their shoes. You can't understand, because you don't have the problem.
I have a friend who I studied with through college, some times she had difficulty understanding things that came very easy to me. Some times, she would have to study much longer to get things I could get really quick. I never understood this because she did awesome on her SAT! Over a 1300. I asked the same question you did, Why? She should be kicking my butt academically, but she didn't. Well, she took her MCAT and scored substantially higher than myself. It's very simple, different people have different ways of illustrating their talents. It is called diversity. I know it is ideal to have everything very strong and perfect academically,like many other applicants do. But med school applicants are not robots, they are people. I applaud all of those who recieved high MCATs with high GPA's, but don't look down upon those who struggeled with the MCAT just because you can't understand why.

Some people simply should not be physicians no matter how many miles you walk in their shoes. As Ive stated elsewhere, the MCAT is not a predictor of you academic ability but it is a VERY good indicator of your ability to overcome an obstacle that is in the way of a goal. To suggest that it is unimportant is absurd. It is EXTREMELY important to determine how someone reacts in the face of stress and struggle. Its part of daily life for a physician and if you cannot overcome a challenge as the rest of us have, you simply have no business being it medical school. Sounds harsh and it is...Life is harsh sometimes. It doesnt help to give someone unrealistic expectations and false hopes. 20 is far too low, at least shhot for the mean of 24, then consider applying. I wouldnt want a physician with scores less than that, not because I doubt their scholastic ability, but because I would question their dedication, resolve and mettle in getting through tough circumstances. The playing field is level for us all and we must all overcome the same obstacles (e.g. the MCAT).

BTW, you also realize that national boards during medical school also have to be taken and believe me thay are no picnic. If you cant do well enough on the MCAT, what makes you believe youll do well enough on the boards??

do u know how to read thru the posts dude. I said im gonna retake them. I also know there are boards but the boards are a different story ill worry about that road when I get there.

I thought the title here was "will I still get into an Osteo school" I was simply trying to give my piece about it and now you have it. o offense to you.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mgambolini:
•If I were the person, I would go ahead and apply. I'm not sure of your experiences or gpa, but I personally know people that are current med students (DO) with MCAT scores in the range of 18-22. Don't listen to this 27 crap.•••••18??? YOu gotta be kidding! If even this was true, they probably had an extremely special circumstance in their application to be excepted.

Obviously my experiences are anecdotal, but I've seen too many people in my class with low MCAT scores perform excellently (some at the top of the clas) and too many people with high MCAT scores barely squeak through or failing out. In my experience, it's hard for me to see MCAT performance as a predictor of academic success in med school. Personally I got below the so-called magic number of 8 on the verbal and yet I've had no problem performing well in my class. I must say, however, that the strongest correlation I've seen to academic success in my class is GPA. Maybe it's because GPA is a stronger measure of one's ability to work hard over a longer period of time, which is what med school is--a marathon. All of this leads me to think that the MCAT is more of a measure of instant reading intelligence, which is not an undesirable thing but it won't carry you far in med school. To succeed in your first two years of med school you must put in the time to cram seemingly endless facts into your head. This is for the most part a lot different than the abstract nature of the MCAT.

I agree with apgar7. JimDO, I love all your posts in the other forums, they are great! But I will have to agree to disagree with you on this one. Please take no offense.

Jerseygirl,
No offense taken! I have no problem at all with people that disagree with me. Im happy you do so eloquently and respectfully. Glad you like my posts, I get a kick outta yours too.

Doc Oc
You've inspired me. I have been having a bad attitude about the MCAT. My diagnostics show that I can't even break a twenty. I go to UC Davis and I have a pretty good GPA, which means I'm capable. I know I need to rip apart my tests question by question. I feel like distributing my time is a struggle though. How much time should I spend on passages, how much time studying science, how much time working on my reading skills and how much time going through my old tests question by question. It would really help me out if you had some suggestions. I feel like I spend all day studying but I only get my prep course homework done and a little science reading accomplished before I hit "the wall" and need to sleep. I'm an active body and need to exercise, I like to get up early, but have a hard time studying late. Could you suggest a daily plan for me? I want to ACE this baby

Not kidding Mesentary, 18. I'm not sure if he invented a small pox vaccine or what, but that gentleman is a medical student.

18?! WOW, for once Im speechless.