20 practice MCATs 20 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have about 20 days till my MCAT on Sept 11 and about 20 practice MCATs. I have all of Kaplan's and all of AAMCs. Which ones and how many should I do? Should I try to do one a day or one every other?

Members don't see this ad.

One a day? NO
I did one every other day and I'm pretty damn drained right about now.

Bad idea. I say do at most 3 a week. I stuck to that rule, and whether I did them all on three consecutive days or back to back, I consistently did well, but was dog tired after the third one.

Also never take a practice MCAT after an 8-hour day of work standing on your feet. Bad idea...

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahha 20 in 20 days? HAAAAAHAHAHa

i would be impressed if you did them and scored consistently.. i can do one every 2 days at most, if i try to do a test on back to back days my scores suffer significantly..

I did one a day for 7 days. It worked for me. I was able to perfect my timing, get a very consistent score (within plus or minus 1 point) and a great feel for the test.

I didn't do any practice tests during the last week before test date. I think I did two practice tests two weeks prior to the actual MCAT and one practice test per week throughout June and July (aug 19 was the test date). I ended up with a nice score (12-13-13).

Its always good to do practice tests but you need to analyze and learn something new about your preparation after each test. No point just doing practice tests if you keep making the same mistakes. I say do one every other day so that you can use the off days to work on your mistakes from previous tests and prevent burning out.

Do the 8 AAMCs and focus on reviewing every answer, right or wrong. And just look at the solutions for Kaplan exams (note down any main concepts, equations, etc). In my opinion, the real exam wasn't like either AAMC or Kaplan but more like AAMC.

I recommend taking the 8 AAMC exams timed. If I could do it over again, I would have completely skipped my Kaplan timed exams and focused more on memorizing content/reviewing AAMC answers.

i even taught for kaplan and i wouldnt even recommend taking the practice kaplan tests within 2-3 weeks of your test date. all they are good for is timing and familiarity with taking the test. do aamc tests, but only as many as you need (which is not 8)

Okay so is the general opinion not to do any more Kaplan tests or maybe just look at their answers? Thanks for all the help you gals and guys have been giving. So far I'm leaning towards doing all the AAMC (while spreading out the days so about one every other with some two days off) and just looking over the answers to the Kap tests.

I would suggest every other day too. Keep in mind that you actually have to go over the tests too. I did about 6 tests every other day up til 2 days until the MCAT and it wasn't too bad. I used the off day to go over my test review material that I was weak on.

I thought there was a free practice test on that e-mcat website but now i'm not seeing it. Am I crazy?