20 Questions: Diana Marie Padgett, MD

I am a lab technologist, and I am always glad to see stuff related to lab or pathology. One thing about the article I would have liked to know wht she meant exactly about "reinbursment". So is she saying pathologists arent being compensated for the work they put out? I am not sure how to take that because every test/case is billed, so maybe she meant something else. I am always glad to see a happy face in patho! I did some shadowing with a pathologist. I liked the work he did. Clinical work can be mundane sometimes but I dont like the thought of working with a bunch of hazardous chemicals on the gross path side.

I am a lab technologist, and I am always glad to see stuff related to lab or pathology. One thing about the article I would have liked to know wht she meant exactly about "reinbursment". So is she saying pathologists arent being compensated for the work they put out? I am not sure how to take that because every test/case is billed, so maybe she meant something else. I am always glad to see a happy face in patho! I did some shadowing with a pathologist. I liked the work he did. Clinical work can be mundane sometimes but I dont like the thought of working with a bunch of hazardous chemicals on the gross path side.

She means that CMS has steadily been reducing the reimbursement levels for path services. Its' not that she isn't getting compensated for what she bills, she just gets less and less.

Also, anyone else think she looks vaguely like Ellen Pompeo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Path is interesting to me, but the job market outlook is so bleek I couldn't.

Loved the article, but it's annoying that every person that SDN interviews doesn't have loans (i.e. paid by their parents or spouse).

Somewhat off-topic, but I have noticed over the years that a seemingly disproportionate number of the physicians SDN interviews for these articles say the took out no loans for school. I don't know anyone at my school that hasn't taken out loans, even the HPSP students have taken out a little bit. Is this just a function of the fact that in the not so distant past med school was cheap enough that people with money saved up, a working spouse or parents willing and able to pay for it could just fork up the money and live frugally and come out without debt?