20 schools-too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
how many allopathic schools do applicants usually apply to? i have 20 (4 public ones in my own state). is that too much?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certainly no expert, but form what I have heard, people apply to anywhere from 5-25 schools. (give or take, of course)
Someone told me "12ish" was an everage. But then again, that's second hand knowledge.
I also heard someone say that you can never apply to "too many" schools, as long as you can afford it. If you apply to 50 schools and get into 1, then I suppose applying to 50 schools was a good idea. Had you applied to 49..... well, who knows.

Good Luck!!

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

I applied to 34 via AMCAS and completed about 20-25 secondaries. 20 sounds like a good number.

I am also a CA resident, so that was a disadvantage because CA schools get so many applications.

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
20 is certainly reasonable given the unpredictable nature of med school admissions. There are so many variables in the process.

Personally, I did not want to take a chance on having to reapply, so: 26 apps, 3 acceptances, 5 waitlists, 18 rejects.

Please do yourself a favor and complete your file ASAP -- I did not (August MCAT, etc.) and it hurt.

Good Luck!

1918: what were your MCAT and GPA? just curious?

I applied to around 31 on my AMCAS-E, and completed 20 to 22 secondaries. I ended up getting interviews at most of the schools (rejected from 3 w/o interview). 20 may be overdoing it a bit, but you'll be glad when you get that thick envelope, no matter the cost!

Good luck to you...

jpc

20 schools is fine, just remember that each of them should be someplace you would be happy attending if accepted there.

34 Schools!!! Thats over a quarter of all the American medical schools! I only applied to 8 because I only found 6 that I would be really happy at, and then had 2 "safety schools." Just know that filling out 20 secondaries is gonna take a s---load of time.

I also applied to 34 schools. I thought (stupidly) that my application would be screened at the primary, and that I'd get maybe 20 secondaries at most. Of course, most schools don't screen at the primary; why would they, when they can squeeze another $40-$100 out of you in secondary fees! 34 secondaries is insane. From that pile, I whittled down to 16 secondaries that I returned. Had I read my MSAR more carefully (if it says just "secondary fee = $x", then they send secondaries to any idiot with a PO box; if it says "secondary fee after screening = $x", then you can take some pride in having made it that far!), I would have saved myself some big dollars. 20 schools seems reasonable to me.

I didn't read the MSAR that carefully either - had no idea they provided that info!

Still, 20 secondaries makes me tired just thinking about it. I guess I'm the laziest med student around. Speaking of that, my endocrinology can wait - where's my guitar?....