<$2000 on living expenses at NYU possible(walking distance)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ddsmd1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I most likely will be attending NYU(only acceptance) and like many others, my only concern is living expenses. I plan on taking out loans and want to live somewhat frugally. However, I still want to live walking distance away from the school. I wouldn't mind even sharing a large bedroom with one other student if I can make that budget. Is it possible to live off of less than 2000/month on living expenses(everything excluding tuition and fees) or am I crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

So I most likely will be attending NYU(only acceptance) and like many others, my only concern is living expenses. I plan on taking out loans and want to live somewhat frugally. However, I still want to live walking distance away from the school. I wouldn't mind even sharing a large bedroom with one other student if I can make that budget. Is it possible to live off of less than 2000/month on living expenses(everything excluding tuition and fees) or am I crazy?
I think that's almost impossible unless you're willing to walk from Queens or live purely on Ramen Noodles. Manhattan is just so expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Possible. If you don't mind living with 2 to 3 other students in a 2 or 3 bedroom w/converted living room to bedroom you could probably expect to pay around 1400/1500. If you cook and try not to eat out much you should stay under 2k.

I myself share a studio w/another dental student and my monthly expenses with rent and food usually come out to around 1300-1400 total. Unique situation though as the other student is my gf so the shared studio space becomes possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're really underestimating the brutality of Manhattan.

Possible. The girl who led my interview there told me she lives 10 minutes walking distance from school and pays 1500/month for her own room. She lives with 1 or 2 other people i think.

Possible. The girl who led my interview there told me she lives 10 minutes walking distance from school and pays 1500/month for her own room. She lives with 1 or 2 other people i think.
Leaving you with $16 a day for food clothes transportation and entertainment.

I would recommend you to contact NYU and ask a counselor to give you an idea of your tuition fees. I imagine $2000 would cover a small part of the tuition alone and I am able to relate to you because I graduated from NYU back in 1993. It's a really expensive school.