2001 US-MD Unmatch rate in Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bigfrank, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Hi all, I know that the 2000 US-MD unmatch rate for EM was 6%. This was gotten from medschool.com when it was up and running. I was wondering, does anyone know the results from last year? Meaning, what percentage of US-MD seniors failed to match?

Best wishes, Frank.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. A little elf

A little elf Member

I think that last year it held at around 6.8% for US seniors...pretty stable in regard to the previous year. Who knows what it will be this year...probably not a lot higher, although it sounds like people are still bailing out of surgery in huge numbers...these people have to go somewhere.

4. carddr

carddr Senior Member

On the other side, 9 programs were unfilled. the breakdown was:

Mississippi(Univ Hosp-Jackson-Ms)3
    Missouri (Surprise-Barnes-Jewish)4
    Pennsylvania (York) 1
    Puerto Rico (Univ of PR) 1

Total: 9

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    You can obtain the yearly match results in the September issue of JAMA - usually the 2nd or 3rd week issue. Has lots of interesting info for all specialties.

6. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Hi,

The Barnes Jewish question came up on medschool.com last year and it appears that they reserve 4 spots ever year for transfers into the program (from surgey, etc.). So I guess it was even less than that.

I know that UMiss is a 2,3,4 program, which is VERY unappealing to some people.

Thanks for the GREAT info.

Best wishes, Frank

7. vandelay

vandelay New Member

I wouldn't be so sure about the info on WashU. I interviewed there for Emergency Med. and asked them about their unmatch rate. They told me they only ranked about 25 highly competitive applicants last year, and when those students matched somewhere else, they got burned and were left with several unfilled spots.

8. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

That's a good point Vandalay,

I, too, was suspecting that it might be someone's way to rationalize that fact (that Barnes only matched 2/3s of their spots).

I'm very excited to see the path that EM takes for the upcoming match day.

Thanks, and best wishes, Frank