2003 application process Questions & Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoblasts

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I had a couple of questions regarding the application process as i am clueless and learning as i continue reading the posts. I would be very glad if you guys could help me answer some of the following questions. THANK YOU

1) aacom:
-How is the science gpa calculated? I mean do they include repeats/withdrawals/pass/no pass in calculating your science gpa. For repeat classes, do they take the higher grade or average both. I am saying this because i repeated one class.
-Is math and statistics considered part of the science gpa?

2)letters of reccomendations:
-are these only requested during the secondary application and not on primary application

3)Can you finish your primary application without Mcat:
-I mean i would like to fill out the applications as early as june or july and then take mcat in august. Or, i should wait for my mcat score before i apply.

4)What is the difference between a secondary and a primary application interms of content

5)My first choice osu-com......why do they have the least # of applications?

6)Other 2004hopefuls, if you guys have additional questions please post them as it could help others like me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
I'll try to answer these, but I only can help with a few of them.

1. AACOMAS
Science G.P.A. is calculated like any other G.P.A. in terms of dividing quality points by credits; however it only includes classes that fall under the categories of biology, physics, chemistry and math (including statistics). Some classes are a bit shady as to whether or not they fall into one of those categories (eg. biopsych) It's your call as to whether or not you should label it science or non-science, but don't try to overpush your boundaries because aacom will check over your application and fix anything they think is wrong. Withdrawals are labeled accordingly and not factored in to a numerical g.p.a. Also, pass/fail courses, AP courses, and other ungraded courses are in a separate category that shows how many credit hours you took. For repeated classes, both classes are factored into your g.p.a., even if the first class was erased from your transcript, you're supposed to report the original grade.

2. LOR's are sent in only with your secondary applications, but it's a good idea to have your pre-med advisor start a file for you way before then. All through your 4 years you should be adding letters to your file from professors/employers/etc. so that when the secondaries come in, your advisor can send them out without you scrambling.

3. You can finish your primary app. without your MCAT score. Infact, I would say get on it as early as possible so all you have to do is wait for your mcat score, type it in and hit the send button. I'm not sure, but I think it becomes available in march or april (make sure you're using the correct year's version - it will be 2004 for the starting cycle). Go to www.aacom.org then select "apply to medical school". You should find some information there.

4. Primaries and Secondaries can be very similar or very different. Some secondaries just ask you to regurgitate you primary application in a format they like better. Most ask for additional essays and more qualitative info that they couldn't get from your aacomas. Usually a "why do you want to go to our school" type of question is included.

The rest i don't know, but all the best of luck!!

Originally posted by Osteoblasts
1) aacom:
-How is the science gpa calculated? I mean do they include repeats/withdrawals/pass/no pass in calculating your science gpa. For repeat classes, do they take the higher grade or average both. I am saying this because i repeated one class.

The AACOMAS application system gives you info on what does and does not qualify as science GPA (It was in a help window when I did the app). Yes, math and stats count. abw said that they count all grades for re-taken classes. I don't believe that is true. You do have to list all grades, but I believe that they only count the most recent one in computing your GPA. Maybe Fenrezz will get on here and clear that up for us. :D

-are these only requested during the secondary application and not on primary application

abw's advice here is excellent. Get going on these now so that they'll be ready when those secondaries come in. Be sure the profs hold on to them so that they can send them directly. You will not be able to send them in yourself.

-I mean i would like to fill out the applications as early as june or july and then take mcat in august. Or, i should wait for my mcat score before i apply.

Yep, get it in and the MCAT scores will be sent to AACOMAS (as long as you put their code on your MCAT test form). It is a good idea to check back with AACOMAS to make sure that your application is complete...maybe sometime in mid-late July. This way you'll know that they have your MCAT and all of your transcripts. I had all of my things in early, but they mis-filed my app as incomplete. I called them & they corrected the error, but they said that they wouldn't have caught it if I hadn't called because an incomplete file is only pulled when something new comes in (and mine had nothing left to come in).

4)What is the difference between a secondary and a primary application interms of content

Each school's secondary is different, so this is hard to answer. When I applied, OSU-COM's was just a front/back sheet. You also do the LORs at this point.

5)My first choice osu-com......why do they have the least # of applications?

Probably because we're a small school (only 88 slots) and accept mostly in-state applicants (I hear differing stories, but either 15% or 15 slots are usually allotted to out-of-state applicants).

I'd be happy to answer any questions about OSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Mom is right. When you type in each course, you have to say whether or not the course is pass/fail, credit/audit, or if it is a retake. I retook two classes and the grades were removed from the calculation and only the most retake grades were used. There is a tally at the end of all of the types of courses.

It helped me to actually print out the help screen for the science courses and just leave it next to the computer so that I could have quick reference to it.

Good luck!

Originally posted by DrMom
You do have to list all grades, but I believe that they only count the most recent one in computing your GPA. Maybe Fenrezz will get on here and clear that up for us. :D

Why would I be able to clean that up. It's not like I ...ummm.. replaced any grades or anything.... ummm.....

(ahem) ;)

As far as why so few people apply to OSU, well...... I mean, it is in Oklahoma, after all. :D

Definitely send in your primary app even if you are taking the August MCAT. Most of the schools will still send you secondaries even without an MCAT score. I took the August MCAT and was able to get all my secondaries turned in before my scores came back. Granted the schools will not process the secondary until your scores come in, but at least they will have everything ready to go.

Originally posted by stacyg
I took the August MCAT and was able to get all my secondaries turned in before my scores came back. Granted the schools will not process the secondary until your scores come in, but at least they will have everything ready to go.

Stacyg,

So AACOMAS forwarded the app without the MCAT scores? Did you have any problems with them saying that your file wasn't complete? Did you have to do anything special?

I am curious about this because I am trying to apply early decision at MSUCOM, and their deadline for getting primary is end of august.... I'll be taking the august MCAT....

Thanks,

*Soleil*

I would like to clear up one issue with regards to calculating the science gpa. AMCAS and AACOMAS DO NOT calculate them the same. As such all MATH and STATISTICS are considered NON-SCIENCE when calculating a gpa.

This is directly from the instructions for the application: "The Science category would include all courses with the subject codes of B, O, T, S, P and I. Non-science would include courses with the subject codes of M, E, H and N."

These codes are

B- Biology
O - Organic Chemistry
T - Biochemistry
S - Other Science
P - Physics
I- Inorganic Chemistry

M - Math
E - English
N - Non-science
H- Social/Behavioral Science

Also, Soleil, you had better check on the EDP at MSU. I don't think they will consider you for EDP with out an MCAT score and if you aren't taking the MCAT until Aug. then you won't get a score until October. Most EDP decisions are made before the first week of October.

Here's advice different from most others:

1) aacom:
Don't worry about this junk. It's a waste of your time - either spend it studying or chilling, but do not worry about miniscule details.

If your school has a premed committee, get them forwarded ASAP... tell the profs you would appreciate it if they could do it within the next three months. If not, tell profs you intend to apply this fall, and you were hoping they could write a rec. over the summer - also, you might have a few forms that you would get with your secondaries that you might need them to fill later.

DO NOT waste your time filling out the apps if you can be studying for the MCAT instead. The more you study, the better you will do. It is THE most important part of your application - more important than your GPA, so STUDY for it. Start studying ASAP and study as much as possible. Don't get distracted and waste a lot of time applying - it's really not worth it, tracking transcripts and writing the next Pulitzer-winning essay. Here's why:

After your August MCAT, you will have a 2-month lag period where you will have nothing special to do. You should fill out your AACOMAS ASAP after your MCAT, and send it in - you'll get your secondaries before your MCAT score (takes 2 months). Don't worry about being anal retentive regarding applications - BE ANAL RETENTIVE in your studying for the MCAT... I wasn't and I regret that a little.

I waited until November to submit AACOMAS, applied to 7 schools and still got 5 interviews with 0 rejections so far (I haven't heard anything from PCOM or NJ yet). I held my secondaries for a few weeks and made sure that I wrote the best essays that I could - sent them in February. I SHOULD have applied in late August and I should have been done with the secondaries in late October, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to enter medicine. I was encouraged by my MCAT score in October, and decided what the hell in November. Again, MCAT studying over applications and choosing schools during the summer - got it?

Again, do not waste your time with this junk right now. It's meaningless. You'll find out when you need to think about this. You WILL NOT get any interviews without a decent MCAT score - think about that, not knowing junk that is meaningless in the application process. You will not somehow fill out better secondaries because you know what's on them months ahead of time. You get plenty of time to write them when you get them, sport.

My first choice osu-com......why do they have the least # of applications?

Again, you will waste a lot of time like I did to "research" schools and think you're somehow doing something positive during the summer, when you should really be studying for the MCAT and worrying about this stuff AFTER it in August. If you haven't gotten this from my earlier responses, here's another shot: STUDY FOR THE MCAT, because if you do well, you will have a much smoother process. Your numbers are more important than other stuff, especially like "how will this class be recorded" or "how will this differ from that" types of questions.

If you're taking the August MCAT, you are going to be reviewed later than a lot of other applications - just accept it and be at peace with it. And don't let any ***** convince you that this eliminates you from consideration, because that's simply not true. If you're good, you're good. If you're not, you're not... it's too late to worry about wishing you had taken the earlier MCAT, wishing you had done better in a class, and other such stuff. Just free your mind, brother, and look to the future.

While I agree that it is important to prepare for, and do well on the MCAT, you don't have to monopolize all your time studying. Hopefully, you will be able to multitask and so, perhaps in your free time, you could work a little on your application. Good MCAT scores are important, but I felt that turning my apps in early helped a lot too (though I took the April MCAT). I interviewed and was accepted at most schools (osteo and allo) before the end of the year. Having acceptances removed a lot of stress and burden.

Therefore, in conclusion, my personal advice would be:

You have 4 months until the August MCAT. Study and learn the material so that you will do well--but don't ONLY study for the MCAT. There is such a thing as over studying. When you have some free time, try working on your primary application and getting that completed too. Good luck!

Oh, I forgot to add this to my personal propaganda: when you're not studying for the MCAT, RELAX! SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

;)

I want to add that your personal statement should also be on your list of priorities. If you haven't started it, do it now. I agree with irish79 that working on your primary is important, because if you make errors on it, it will slow you down even more than waiting for your August MCATs to come out. And, even if you get a good score, it won't help if you come off as an idiot in your personal statement. This, as well as your ECs and LORS, will make a huge difference because there are tons of applicants with good grades and scores and you need to find your own way to stand out.

Good Luck!