2006-2007 Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) Book: MD-PhD content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottles999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow amazing that AAMC now has almost 3 full pages of basic information on that an MD-PhD. Didnt expect to see that at all.

Not to mention it has matriculation Stats on MD-PhD, but not the # applied to MD-PhD alone.

Never expected to see that - Go figure!

Members don't see this ad.

bottles999 said:
Wow amazing that AAMC now has almost 3 full pages of basic information on that an MD-PhD. Didnt expect to see that at all.

Not to mention it has matriculation Stats on MD-PhD, but not the # applied to MD-PhD alone.

Never expected to see that - Go figure!

can you post some of the pertinent stats for our viewing pleasure? Thanks.

This was somewhat anticipated since the MD/PhD Directors Association is now part of the GREAT subgroup of the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
sluox said:
can you post some of the pertinent stats for our viewing pleasure? Thanks.

There isn't much. Only two schools really jump out at ya and I mean REALLY jumpout, to the point that one wonders its not typos:

1. U. of Washington matriculated over 200 MD-PhDers
2. Duke matriculated over 100 MD-PhDers

Of course not all MSTPers for either school and in the 2004-2005 year. Still... does this sound right?

bottles999 said:
1. U. of Washington matriculated over 200 MD-PhDers
2. Duke matriculated over 100 MD-PhDers

Are you sure the first one is not Wash U? 100 MD/PhD students at one time is not too surprising. Schools on average matriculate ~10-12 per year, assuming an average of 8 years, that's about 100. Wash U matriculates over 20 per year. They might have over 200, but mos def not U Wash (10-12 per year).

Don't forget UPenn either. From what I recall, they have a pretty big MSTP program (although, when I applied, I don't think all the MD/PhD fellows had full MSTP funding).

gwang said:
Are you sure the first one is not Wash U? 100 MD/PhD students at one time is not too surprising. Schools on average matriculate ~10-12 per year, assuming an average of 8 years, that's about 100. Wash U matriculates over 20 per year. They might have over 200, but mos def not U Wash (10-12 per year).

I doubled checked and BLINKED!! the first time I read it. Its definitely listed for U of Washington in Seattle and not Washington U in St. Louis. That is whats in B/W for it. I fall more in line with your numbers personally. I just cant see how its that many. I donno though.

AndyMilonakis said:
Don't forget UPenn either. From what I recall, they have a pretty big MSTP program (although, when I applied, I don't think all the MD/PhD fellows had full MSTP funding).

U of Penn's was actually the largest of the "Normal" sized MD-PhD listings. That is aside from the two I mentioned previous. So yea, they are quite large, by MD-PhD standards.

hmm, as far as I know we have the second largest class behind WashU. This year I think we took 20. Everyone has been funded for the past 3-4 years (not sure exactly when the switch occured). In those days I hear the MD/PhD dropout rate was quite high (25% - 50% depending on who you ask), but that's come down dramatically with funding everyone.

gwang said:
It must be a typo then. See this page: http://www.mstp.washington.edu/program/students

Currently 82, plus 2005 incoming class minus 2005 graduating class (assuming their names haven't been wiped out), it'll be no more than 100.

Personally, I believe it is a typo. However, they dont make the MSTP (Funded) vs. Non-Funded MD-PhD distinction in the stats. All just lumpped in as MD-PhD, so that was the only doubt I still had. The numbers were way off from what I understood them to be too.

Neuronix said:
hmm, as far as I know we have the second largest class behind WashU. This year I think we took 20. Everyone has been funded for the past 3-4 years (not sure exactly when the switch occured). In those days I hear the MD/PhD dropout rate was quite high (25% - 50% depending on who you ask), but that's come down dramatically with funding everyone.

That was the # in there for U of Penn, 20 matriculates.