2006 California Accept/Reject/I Don't Know Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I get this going. I have a few queries. WTF is up with UCLA, they are hella slow. Also, can someone post the UCLA/Drew secondary questions. Thanks.

Let the sunshine children vent!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Faust said:
I figured I get this going. I have a few queries. WTF is up with UCLA, they are hella slow. Also, can someone post the UCLA/Drew secondary questions. Thanks.

Let the sunshine children vent!!!!!!

Ahh hola mi amigo de california, from your enthusiastic use of hella I see you are a fellow nor-cal-er, are you transplanted in the south or attending a school near our hometowns? Good luck

yea, UCs are definately painful, have heard from everywhere except UCLA, they are uber slow, secondaries from all others except a UCSF rejection, uuurrggh my taxes pay for your facilities, non-californians stay out! (but out of state schools please accept me) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
2 questions:
1) anybody get an invite from UC Davis yet? and if so how long after complete?
2) ucsd- how long do they take to confirm you for a secondary. they got my amcas like 6 weeks ago, still nothing. thanks

-mota

I'm waiting on UCSD...has been months. It seems like they must have lost my application because everyone else has heard from them :confused:

I would be really happy at any UC School. I have heard back from all school except for UCSD and UCSF. I know UCSD is very competative as far as grades/mcat... I am still hoping I'll get the UCSF sec soon (hopefully my extracurricular activities/involvements will help me get this one)...

Anyone applying to the PRIME-LC program at UCI?

I have heard from only one UC - UCLA-Drew (which is one of my top choices, so at least I heard from them!). To the poster that was rejected from UCSF, when did you submit? I am wondering when that giant batch of us that was verified on 8/15 is going to be looked at.

Flopotomist said:
I have heard from only one UC - UCLA-Drew (which is one of my top choices, so at least I heard from them!). To the poster that was rejected from UCSF, when did you submit? I am wondering when that giant batch of us that was verified on 8/15 is going to be looked at.

I know that there already some ppl that have gotten sec from that 8/15 batch at UCSF. They applied mid July, so hopefully they are going in order. I applied late late July...

Flopotomist said:

UCSF verified that they had my primary on 7-18, just got the rejection this past weekend in snail mail although on their website it says i am still under review :rolleyes: **** em

doublepeak said:
I'm waiting on UCSD...has been months. It seems like they must have lost my application because everyone else has heard from them :confused:
Same here--verified since late June and not even a confirmation email from UCSD, let alone a secondary. When I go to the site, it recognizes my amcas #, so they must have my app. They're just too lazy to tell me, I guess.

Dr2010 said:
Ahh hola mi amigo de california, from your enthusiastic use of hella I see you are a fellow nor-cal-er, are you transplanted in the south or attending a school near our hometowns?

Actually, i am not from no cal, went to berkeley though, and hung out in oaktown. I will be making my way over to LaLa Land--the golden land-- next week. Gotz to get out of the east because the beastly weather is creeping into NYC, Yo!

Flopotomist said:

Hey flop, can you post drew's questions, thanks, or pm me?

MIKE G said:
I would be really happy at any UC School. I have heard back from all school except for UCSD and UCSF. I know UCSD is very competative as far as grades/mcat... I am still hoping I'll get the UCSF sec soon (hopefully my extracurricular activities/involvements will help me get this one)...

Anyone applying to the PRIME-LC program at UCI?

Hey Mike G,

I applied to the PRIME-LC program. In fact, I just submitted the application on Sunday and overnighted my payment and pictures today. I'm hoping to be complete soon because I heard the first interviews for PRIME are 10/22 and 11/14. It took me forever to finish this secondary because I thought the PRIME essay questions were pretty difficult. Or maybe it was because Irvine is one of my top choices and I was afraid to turn it in for fear of rejection! :laugh:

What did you think of the PRIME essays?

DaMota said:
2 questions:
1) anybody get an invite from UC Davis yet? and if so how long after complete?
2) ucsd- how long do they take to confirm you for a secondary. they got my amcas like 6 weeks ago, still nothing. thanks

-mota

1) I noticed that one person in the interview thread mentioned receiving a Davis interview. It was about 3-4 weeks after their complete date.

2) I received UCSD about 3 weeks after they intially received my AMCAS data. They are probably still busy going through thousands of primary apps, though, so don't be discouraged yet. Apparently, they heavily screen pre-secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
titoincali said:
1) I noticed that one person in the interview thread mentioned receiving a Davis interview. It was about 3-4 weeks after their complete date.
That was me, complete 8/30, invite 9/20, interview 9/30 (this Friday). This appears to be the beginning of their interview season so I wouldn't worry about it yet if you haven't heard from them. I know waiting sucks though!

AMCAS verified 07/06/05

Still no word from UC Davis, UCLA, UCSD and UCSF. I'm not really expecting a secondary from these schools anymore. +pity+

I am now complete at UC Irvine and Loma Linda.

We'll see how it goes..

jrdnbenjamin said:
That was me, complete 8/30, invite 9/20, interview 9/30 (this Friday). This appears to be the beginning of their interview season so I wouldn't worry about it yet if you haven't heard from them. I know waiting sucks though!

Good luck on your interview! I just started getting complete notices from schools two weeks ago so I'm not too nervous yet. Give me another 2 weeks and I'm sure I'll be a wreck!

titoincali said:
Hey Mike G,

I applied to the PRIME-LC program. In fact, I just submitted the application on Sunday and overnighted my payment and pictures today. I'm hoping to be complete soon because I heard the first interviews for PRIME are 10/22 and 11/14. It took me forever to finish this secondary because I thought the PRIME essay questions were pretty difficult. Or maybe it was because Irvine is one of my top choices and I was afraid to turn it in for fear of rejection! :laugh:

I applied to the PRIME program, but now am having second thoughts. It seems like it might be harder to get into, and I want to maximize my chances at a UC...should I call and withdraw my application to PRIME? Does anyone know how those applications are evaluated?

anystream said:
I applied to the PRIME program, but now am having second thoughts. It seems like it might be harder to get into, and I want to maximize my chances at a UC...should I call and withdraw my application to PRIME? Does anyone know how those applications are evaluated?

You go through the regular MD evaluation first and if you are given an interview, then they pass you on to the PRIME evaluation team. It seems to me that if you don't get a PRIME interview you might still get the regular MD interview, but I'm not sure.

My understanding is that they got around ~85 PRIME apps last year, interviewed ~35, not sure how many accepted, but they have about 11/12 students each year.

Secondaries from all UC's except UCSF. I was in the 8/15 verified batch of theirs. Have had one interview at UCI and hopefully will hear back from the rest pretty soon.

titoincali said:
Hey Mike G,

I thought they were easier than the other questions. I have been very involved in the Latino community, so I have a pretty clear understanding on what I want to contribute etc. I really hope I get an interview...That summer in Mexico before med school begins looks like fun, and I wouldn't mind doing the extra Masters as well...

I am still unclear if its "easier" to get into as opposed to the regular M.D. Program...anybody else know for sure?

So I got the rejection letter from UCSF pre-secondary as well. Do you guys think writing them a letter is going to make a difference? Or is that only helpful if they reject you after granting a secondary?

you can call them ask for status. i was passed over from uci & ucsd, still hope for ucla, ucsf, and ucd (not much though) :(

Anybody know what's up with UCLA, Geffen? I complete my amcas in early July but UCLA hasn't acknowledged my existence yet. I'm worrying that I've slipped through the cracks.

J'kwan said:
Anybody know what's up with UCLA, Geffen? I complete my amcas in early July but UCLA hasn't acknowledged my existence yet. I'm worrying that I've slipped through the cracks.

i submitted amcas late june (took agust mcat), they sent me a letter in the mail sayin they had received my amcas, but wont be reviewing my app. until they get mcat scores... i think they have a website where u can check ur status. hope that helps

Verified first week of July. Got all secondaries from UC except from UCSD and UCSF. On hold at UCI (damn it!)

For all those on hold at UCI, when were you complete?? I've been complete for a while and it still says Pending Review...so can you guys please let me know!thank u! :)

coco said:
For all those on hold at UCI, when were you complete?? I've been complete for a while and it still says Pending Review...so can you guys please let me know!thank u! :)

I've been pending review since 9/14.

BTW, I've been checking the Geffen status page periodically (read as: at least once a day) and mine's blank. Anyboy who's AMCAS was done mid-July or so have different results?

Also, I notiiced that someone got a UCSD invite. Maybe things are starting to pick up in cali. :)

p.s. Thanks for the earlier response Quetzal.

J'kwan said:
I've been pending review since 9/14.

BTW, I've been checking the Geffen status page periodically (read as: at least once a day) and mine's blank. Anyboy who's AMCAS was done mid-July or so have different results?

Also, I notiiced that someone got a UCSD invite. Maybe things are starting to pick up in cali. :)

p.s. Thanks for the earlier response Quetzal.

UCI: I also have been pending review since early September.
UCD: Finally received a secondary, yesterday!!!!
UCLA: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)
UCSD: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)
UCSF: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)

Do you guys think that getting a secondary late from a school is bad news? (As is the case with UCD)..

did someone say something about how we should contact UCSD if we haven't gotten a secondary yet? something along the line of you hadn't taken one of the pre-reqs yet so they withheld reviewing your application? i could be wrong. i got my davis and UCI secondaries within 2 weeks of being verified but its been almost 8 weeks for ucsd. anyone?
-mota

DaMota said:
did someone say something about how we should contact UCSD if we haven't gotten a secondary yet? something along the line of you hadn't taken one of the pre-reqs yet so they withheld reviewing your application? i could be wrong. i got my davis and UCI secondaries within 2 weeks of being verified but its been almost 8 weeks for ucsd. anyone?
-mota

Yeah, in another post, someone said that they had problems with prereqs and called ucsd and then ucsd sent them a secondary. You should give them a call.

What is up with UCLA or UCLA/Drew (added to amcas two weeks ago) I have not heard a peep from them. I also have not heard from UCD (they verified my app 8/29), I am complete at UCSF. Weird stuff. LA seems to been moving at a snail's pace. I sent my amcas and was verified late June. Maybe they are awaiting my August Scores? All this got damn money we pay these amcas folks and it takes them 60 days to return scores in this modern day world, they can all lick my balls, rat bastards.

I was lucky enough to recieve a secondary from UCSF (no word from UCLA) but still haven't heard back...and tomorrow is my 8 week mark. So, I think I'm rejected. :(

Too bad, I thought the school seemed so...cool.

Just got an email from UCSD -- hold for possible interview. :(

Booooooooooooooooo.

(maybe I'll get drafted in the 2nd round :))

just thought i'd join the fun... on hold at UCSD and UCI (BOOO!). waiting and wondering if i'm ever going to get a secondary from UCLA... anyone know if davis does the "on hold" thing too??? best of luck to everyone here!

firebird69guy said:
UCI: I also have been pending review since early September.
UCD: Finally received a secondary, yesterday!!!!
UCLA: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)
UCSD: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)
UCSF: no word yet (AMCAS verified early July)

Do you guys think that getting a secondary late from a school is bad news? (As is the case with UCD)..

I wouldn't sweat it getting it this late. Just get complete ASAP. I was complete around this time of the year, interviewed at UCD in LATE March (after a couple of update letters), got in early off the hold/waitlist in May, and am having the time of my life (currently taking a break from anatomy...) Turns out a decent number of my class interviewed kinda late (at least 4-5 from my interview group are here!). Good luck with the secondary, I know it's a monster, but UCD did a good job picking us out - my classmates are awesome, awesome people.

nairay said:
I wouldn't sweat it getting it this late. Just get complete ASAP. I was complete around this time of the year, interviewed at UCD in LATE March (after a couple of update letters), got in early off the hold/waitlist in May, and am having the time of my life (currently taking a break from anatomy...) Turns out a decent number of my class interviewed kinda late (at least 4-5 from my interview group are here!). Good luck with the secondary, I know it's a monster, but UCD did a good job picking us out - my classmates are awesome, awesome people.

When do you suggest the best times are to send update letters? I'm very tempted to send out updates to the schools I haven't heard from yet.

TicAL said:
When do you suggest the best times are to send update letters? I'm very tempted to send out updates to the schools I haven't heard from yet.

Do you mean schools that haven't sent you a secondary yet, or have not notified you about an interview?

Please note that this is purely my opinion and others may have different ideas of timing/content.

If you haven't received a secondary, it depends on when they received your AMCAS application. I think if you haven't heard from them in 10-14 weeks since submitting your application, maybe an update would be appropriate.

If you are complete and waiting to hear from them about an interview, I'd wait until December/January to send in an update so you can fully update the committee about what you've been up to (activities, grades, etc). I also sent them an update letter a few weeks after the interview to continue expressing my interest.

As for format, i had basically 3 paragraphs:
(1) pre-interview: why i'm interested in the school, including some specifics
(1) post-interview: why i'm still interested in the school, any experiences during the interview that stood out.

(2): update on activities (work, school, volunteering, clin experience, etc)

(3) thanks and hope they consider the app for further consideration.

Good luck!

I know a lot of people are upset about getting put on hold by UCSD, but I just wanted to say I got off the hold pile and was offered an interview! I was really worried at first, but now I can say that it is definitely not something to be super concerned about.

Oh, and if anyone can give me advice here: I submitted AMCAS in JUNE, and I have yet to get a UCLA secondary. I would really like to hear either way, since its my last secondary. Should I call them/ email them?

anystream said:
I know a lot of people are upset about getting put on hold by UCSD, but I just wanted to say I got off the hold pile and was offered an interview! I was really worried at first, but now I can say that it is definitely not something to be super concerned about.

Oh, and if anyone can give me advice here: I submitted AMCAS in JUNE, and I have yet to get a UCLA secondary. I would really like to hear either way, since its my last secondary. Should I call them/ email them?

OH MY GOD. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on your interview, anystream! It does seem like a lot of people get taken off hold; that's awesome.

anystream said:

Thanks for the news about UCSD! I was also waiting on the UCLA secondary (Geffen) for a long time and got the secondary request late last week. I found on via the status page so it seems like things there are starting to move.

I think one problem with UCLA is that they rely heavily on snail mail. My interview invite was posted on the website a good 1-2 weeks before it actually came in the mail. And then on the invite, you have to mail in your preferences and wait for them to mail back an interview date. No phone numbers, emails, etc.

J'kwan said:
Thanks for the news about UCSD! I was also waiting on the UCLA secondary (Geffen) for a long time and got the secondary request late last week. I found on via the status page so it seems like things there are starting to move.

This is great news. I had given up hope on getting the UCLA secondary because I've heard nothing from them since they received my application. Maybe there is still hope!

titoincali said:
This is great news. I had given up hope on getting the UCLA secondary because I've heard nothing from them since they received my application. Maybe there is still hope!

if you applied as an disadvantage applicant to ucla, the disadavantage committee looks at applicants late, so be patient. they take forever, they should get to disadvantage folks late oct if they are lucky but for sure in november--this is just for the awarding of secodaries.

also, it looks from previous years and this year that ucsf sends secondaries to most disadvantage folks, perhaps all...

Any august MCAT peeps hear from ucla or ucla/drew?

yeah
i am anaugust taker and got a secondary from them. pretty long but i wish you all the best

Faust said:
Any august MCAT peeps hear from ucla or ucla/drew?

yep, im an august mcater, and i got sec. from both.. if u want i can send u drew's so u can start workin on it (PM if u want)

btw... i love ur avatar!!!

Primary in late June, secondaries granted mid July to mid August
I received secondaries from all cali schools except UCI and UCLA... sucks!!! :scared:
I received a "hold for interview email from UCSD today"
Cal schools take forever!!!!!
I've been excepted out of state at a top school.... but school starts in July.... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh.......... and california schools have been known to call in August.... "your in, show up next week!"... but by then... it will be too late.... wa wa wa wa wa wa wa

mamd2be said:
Primary in late June, secondaries granted mid July to mid August
I received secondaries from all cali schools except UCI and UCLA... sucks!!! :scared:
I received a "hold for interview email from UCSD today"
Cal schools take forever!!!!!
I've been excepted out of state at a top school.... but school starts in July.... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh.......... and california schools have been known to call in August.... "your in, show up next week!"... but by then... it will be too late.... wa wa wa wa wa wa wa

I hate CA.

The rest of the country looks a lot more appealing now than it did a few months ago...

Did you all know that the Dean of Admissions at UCI reads through EACH person's file before granting him/her an interview?? Crazy stuff...I think that's why they take so long.

BTW mamd2be, CONGRATS on your acceptance to case!!!!

Anybody received a secondary from UCSD lately? My application was received mid-august and still haven't heard a word. I'm considered out of state though so I don't know if they might be holding off looking at out of state applicants?