2006 Cornell Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscletwitch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting more and more anxious about spots opening up ass we get closer to the May 15th deadline. Cornell is my TOP choice and I will be really relaly happy to get in and go there. Who's with me???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not just stoked for Cornell's curriculum and hospitals. I'm made slightly more desperate by the fact that my fiancee (I'm a non-trad, out of school for a while) will be entering a graduate program at Columbia - and not in Chicago or San Diego - this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in. anyone know how many they usually take off the waitlist?? i'm not too sure of my chances, but i would love to be at cornell next fall.

So glad someone started this thread! I'm in this boat too. When I called th office I was told that 1/4 of the incoming class comes from the waitlist. Since there's about 100 in the class, that probably means they will choose about 25 from the waitlist. However, they seem to be very secretive about how many people are actually on the waitlist.

good luck guys :thumbup:

Well, at least the activity on this thread tapered off after a while. I was a little concerned when about a half dozen posts turned up in the first hour. Now I think it's safe to infer that there are only about 6 or 7 of us on the waitlist. Phew. See y'all in New York.

:laugh: I agree. I was pretty bummed to see all the thread activity last night.

I have to say that I really wish they could tell us how many people are on the waitlist. IMO it's too late in the game for them to not be as upfront as possible about our chances of admission.

Where are you all headed if not Cornell?

argonana said:
:
Where are you all headed if not Cornell?
Pritzker, you?

I really love Chicago and had a fantastic experience when I interviewed there. The UChicago hospitals are consistently on the honor roll and I was impressed with the UChicago students I met. I'm sure I'll be happy and get a phenomenal medical education there.

Nonetheless, NY Presbyterian is awesome and I think PBL is a good way to constantly gauge my learning. And it'd be nice to be in the same zip code as my fiancee in the year before our marriage. So, I continue anxiously trying to figure out what I need to do to move into Cornell's class. Anybody out there learned the password yet? I keep calling and trying... but they keep hanging up on me. For the record, the password isn't any of the following: "latkes," "dumptruck," "ranger," "panda," "goose," or - despite what mom says - "please."

MrJordan said:
Pritzker, you?

I really love Chicago and had a fantastic experience when I interviewed there. The UChicago hospitals are consistently on the honor roll and I was impressed with the UChicago students I met. I'm sure I'll be happy and get a phenomenal medical education there.

Nonetheless, NY Presbyterian is awesome and I think PBL is a good way to constantly gauge my learning. And it'd be nice to be in the same zip code as my fiancee in the year before our marriage. So, I continue anxiously trying to figure out what I need to do to move into Cornell's class. Anybody out there learned the password yet? I keep calling and trying... but they keep hanging up on me. For the record, the password isn't any of the following: "latkes," "dumptruck," "ranger," "panda," "goose," or - despite what mom says - "please."

have you written a letter of intent? maybe you should call the admissions office too...Ms. Montano is really nice, and if you explain your situation and how you'd give anything to go to cornell, they just might put you at the top of the list!

oh btw, a friend of mine is withdrawing from there today! so there's at least one spot now ;)

good luck to all of you! hopefully i'll see you on 69th st next year!

somewhere2010 said:
have you written a letter of intent? maybe you should call the admissions office too...Ms. Montano is really nice, and if you explain your situation and how you'd give anything to go to cornell, they just might put you at the top of the list!
I wrote a letter detailing what I've been doing since I interviewed. In that letter, I made it clear that Cornell was my first choice, but I never mentioned the geographical imperative of living near my fiancee. I thought it was a better argument - and no less sincere - to say that I would choose Cornell based on its hospitals, diverse patient population, and innovative curriculum. I also got in touch with my pre-med advisor who subsequently spoke with and sent an email to Ms. Montano (I agree, very sweet woman. I interviewed with her when the Doc couldn't make our appointment).

I'm always hesitant to call and harrass the admissions office. I know that some schools really like it when applicants show interest, but others get bogged down answering phone calls from whiny pre-meds. So, I called to verify that they got my letter, and that's about it. Anybody know whether or not this particular admissions team likes to field phone calls from applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm also in this boat

somewhere2010 said:

oh btw, a friend of mine is withdrawing from there today! so there's at least one spot now ;)

good luck to all of you! hopefully i'll see you on 69th st next year!

How do you get in touch directly with Ms. Montano? I have written an e-mail letter of serious interest, addressed to Ms. Montano and the Committee (basically reiterating my inteerst to attend Cornell in the fall), along with an update letter with what I have been doing since January. I called the admissions office to verify that they got it. Is that OK for now, or will anything more be overkill?

I wish I had answers to these questions, but I don't! I wrote LOI's to Dean Bardes and Ms. Montano (she also interviewed me) and I sent an LOR from my current employer to Dean Bardes. I'm too chicken to call and ask to speak to someone. Did anyone do this successfully?

I feel like getting in would be a little bit of a long shot for me (my GPA and MCAT's are below Cornell's average and I'm not a URM), but I'm still hoping for the best. If I don't get in I'll be going to GW. Good luck everyone!

how do you write directly to Dean Bardes or Ms. Montano, other than addressing them in the letter itself? Is there a separate address/email for either one?

muscletwitch said:
how do you write directly to Dean Bardes or Ms. Montano, other than addressing them in the letter itself? Is there a separate address/email for either one?

Send emails to the general admissions email: [email protected]

If you're writing a letter, they say to send it directly to the admissions office, attn. to whomever you are sending it to. That way they can add it to your file...

Good luck!!

muscletwitch said:
I am getting more and more anxious about spots opening up ass we get closer to the May 15th deadline. Cornell is my TOP choice and I will be really relaly happy to get in and go there. Who's with me???

i just withdrew from this school yesterday, so there is one more spot for one of u guys. good luck!

localgirl said:
Kasha - you have an amazing profile!

thanks. i dont know what went wrong though... i know my interviews went well and that my letters are excellent. i have some ECs but other than a little bit of shadowing and research, not so much medically related. i guess i thought being an officer in the army and teaching for so long would make up for it.

guess not...

cornell was my top choice and i hope i get in.

what a ****ty process

argonana said:
Hey guys--

I just got in!!!!! (Found out by email). Send in those LOIs if Cornell is your top choice!!!! Good luck!!! :luck:

Just got the email also! I'll definitely be there in the fall!
-Josh

Josh1105 said:
Just got the email also! I'll definitely be there in the fall!
-Josh

Hey, when did you guys get the e-mail??? Thanks so much.

NickWiz said:
Hey, when did you guys get the e-mail??? Thanks so much.

5 pm EST. I'm positive there will be another wave (if not several), given that it's not even May 15th yet. Hang in there everyone; try to be persistent in showing your interest. Good luck to you all, especially to MrJordan.

Congrats argonana and Josh! I'm slightly jealous, but happy for you!

Argonana & Josh:

Do you guys mind posting some more relevant information about yourselves?
Something that might help us gauge where ourselves might stand...

Where you guys well above, above, on average, below average, well below the average "numbers" for Cornell?

Either of you URM?

Come on now, this is an anonymous forum!

Mutt said:
Argonana & Josh:

Do you guys mind posting some more relevant information about yourselves?
Something that might help us gauge where ourselves might stand...

Where you guys well above, above, on average, below average, well below the average "numbers" for Cornell?

Either of you URM?

Come on now, this is an anonymous forum!

about average, maybe slightly higher MCAT, not URM..try this:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=4503
-josh

I'm pretty sure we're all qualified to get in at this point, so I doubt it's really about numbers anymore. But anyway, for what it's worth:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4002

On a more important note, I was looking through the Class of 2009 Cornell thread, and I found that there were two waves of acceptances in May: one in early May (around 5/13) and one at the very end of the month. Happy writing, you guys! :luck:

muscletwitch said:
I am getting more and more anxious about opening up ass. Who's with me???

just take it slow, lube up.

sorry, i'm immature, good luck everyone!

Just curious - did both of you write letters of intent? Thanks.

diosa428 said:
Just curious - did both of you write letters of intent? Thanks.

sure did. three of them! they also included updates of what i've been doing at work in the lab.

kasha said:
thanks. i dont know what went wrong though... i know my interviews went well and that my letters are excellent. i have some ECs but other than a little bit of shadowing and research, not so much medically related. i guess i thought being an officer in the army and teaching for so long would make up for it.

guess not...

cornell was my top choice and i hope i get in.

what a ****ty process

Well - with 4 waitlists, it seems likely that at least 1 of them will come through. If not, Albert Einstein's not too shabby either. The process can be random, but with those scores I think you're definitely in the running for coming off a waitlist.

localgirl said:
Well - with 4 waitlists, it seems likely that at least 1 of them will come through. If not, Albert Einstein's not too shabby either. The process can be random, but with those scores I think you're definitely in the running for coming off a waitlist.

yeh, problem is i was told the same thing when i was invited to 6 interviews and look what happened.

we'll see, thanks for the support though

how frequently do you send updates/LOIs in? I sent one two weeks ago (letter of interst + big update on activities since january), and I will defiently keep at it, but 1.) i don't want to come across as harrassing and annoying, and 2.) im afraid i wont have much new stuff to update them.

muscletwitch said:
I sent 3 updates between when we received our waitlist letters and 5/1
First one was more or less just an LOI. In the last 2 I reemphisized my intent and included a couple of fairly significant updates.

hope that helps.
-josh

I removed myself from the waitlist today.

Anyone hear about the status of the waitlist post-May 15?

localgirl said:
Anyone hear about the status of the waitlist post-May 15?

They said it was active and would be untill august sometime

Wanted to keep this thread alive... Anyone else hear anything? Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hang in there guys. In my lab last year so many were only on waitlists at the NYC schools. They were so scared and depressed. Everyone came off most in June July with one in August. They will come.

akaz said:
Hang in there guys. In my lab last year so many were only on waitlists at the NYC schools. They were so scared and depressed. Everyone came off most in June July with one in August. They will come.

i'm losing hope

akaz said:

actually, i can deal with the lack of hope. its more the patience that i'm losing that i cant deal with!

Yes, I know the feeling of losing hope and patience, but my friends keep telling me not to give up on waitlists yet. I guess it's trying to find a balance between accepting what you've got (and it is an amazing gift to get into any medical school) and hoping and trying for what you really want. Not that I've ever been really good about having balance in my life...

judging from previous posts in this thread and others, it looks like they take people off the waitlist every two weeks. the last acceptances went out on 5/11, so that would make 5/25 - this thursday - the next wave to come out. please correct me if i'm wrong so i can stop panicking about thursday!

southpaux said:
judging from previous posts in this thread and others, it looks like they take people off the waitlist every two weeks. the last acceptances went out on 5/11, so that would make 5/25 - this thursday - the next wave to come out. please correct me if i'm wrong so i can stop panicking about thursday!

except that someone posted on the class thread that they were accepted yesterday...

kasha said:
except that someone posted on the class thread that they were accepted yesterday...

Is this "class thread" something on the SDN website?