2006 Ireland/UK Applicant Timelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastofnorth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the non-trad board, and I thought it would be fun for us as well. For all of us who are sending in applications now for a 2006 matriculation, where are you in your timeline? Keep us updated!

Members don't see this ad.

Right now, I am working on my applications to both Ireland and the UK (mainly Scotland).

Definitely applying to:
IR: Trinity
IR: UCD
UK: Glasgow

Not sure, but probably applying to:
IR: UCC
IR: RCSI

I have no clue but I'm also looking at the following UK cities:
Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, London

I feel completely useless when it comes to UK schools, because I haven't spent a fraction of the time researching them as I have Irish schools. I don't feel as comfortable applying to England schools as I do Scotland ones, probably because I have had a number of Scottish and Irish friends. Reputation and familiarity precedes itself. But, since we're allowed to apply to four, I want to at least make sure I am interested in three more besides Glasgow.

Now, if only their websites worked...

Good Idea

I have sent in my apps for these schools:

IR: Trinity, UCC, UCD, RCSI

UK: St George's Hospital Medical School
UK: University of Leicester
UK: King's College London
UK: University of Dundee

I am only interested in 4 or 5 year programs so I wont accept any of the 6 year offers. On the downside i dont think i will have the MCAT for any of the apps so that will basically rule out UCD, UCC and RCSI

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike MacKinnon said:
UK: St George's Hospital Medical School
UK: University of Leicester
UK: King's College London
UK: University of Dundee

I am only interested in 4 or 5 year programs so I wont accept any of the 6 year offers. On the downside i dont think i will have the MCAT for any of the apps so that will basically rule out UCD, UCC and RCSI

How did you narrow down your UK schools? Based on which ones offered 4/5 year programs only? Receptive to international and/or non-trad students? Reputation outside UK?

I am in the midst of applying to a few Canadian schools, so next week will be Irish apps for me!

I am planning to apply to Trinity, UCD, RCSI and UCC is debatable.

Hey

I called the admissions people direct and asked about my specific situation and if, in the medical admissions advisors opinion I should apply. I had a number of people tell me directly that I would not be competitive in their program and then these four who considered my nursing degree and research background as an extreme bonus.

I found the people on the phone to be very straight forward about my chances. Something you mostly will not find in the USA, especially with for profit private schools. After all, they make money off you simply with the app and the secondary.

I have also found that all of the admissions people I have talked to at many US schools very evasive when you ask the "is it worth it to apply" question. They tell you the story of the one applicant in probably 10 years who barely made the "offical GPA minimum" and made it in. Whereas I found the UK admissions people quiet frank with me using phrases like this "If I were you I would not apply in your current application state". Good advice and honest.

I would say, however, that in general UK schools dont take many north americans. Every admissions person had about the same numbers 10-15 people TOTAL yearly. So chances are slim regardless of qualifications. For the cost of applying I decided it was worth the money for a 10% chance of admission.

Basically I felt the same way with Ireland. Being that I wont have the MCAT for the 2006 app. I instantly narrowed the schools that will offer me 5 year programs down to ONE, Trinity. That would leave me with a 10-15% chance of admission. Not good, but realistic. If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is realism. Better to be prepared for any outcome but expect the worst, I find it allows me to continue on with the same interest.

Good Luck!

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

I called the admissions people direct and asked about my specific situation and if, in the medical admissions advisors opinion I should apply. I had a number of people tell me directly that I would not be competitive in their program and then these four who considered my nursing degree and research background as an extreme bonus.

I found the people on the phone to be very straight forward about my chances. Something you mostly will not find in the USA, especially with for profit private schools. After all, they make money off you simply with the app and the secondary.

I have also found that all of the admissions people I have talked to at many US schools very evasive when you ask the "is it worth it to apply" question. They tell you the story of the one applicant in probably 10 years who barely made the "offical GPA minimum" and made it in. Whereas I found the UK admissions people quiet frank with me using phrases like this "If I were you I would not apply in your current application state". Good advice and honest.

I would say, however, that in general UK schools dont take many north americans. Every admissions person had about the same numbers 10-15 people TOTAL yearly. So chances are slim regardless of qualifications. For the cost of applying I decided it was worth the money for a 10% chance of admission.

Basically I felt the same way with Ireland. Being that I wont have the MCAT for the 2006 app. I instantly narrowed the schools that will offer me 5 year programs down to ONE, Trinity. That would leave me with a 10-15% chance of admission. Not good, but realistic. If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is realism. Better to be prepared for any outcome but expect the worst, I find it allows me to continue on with the same interest.

Good Luck!

What is the real MCAT and GPA range for Irish and UK schools?
Any websites that rank them?

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get into one of the three Canadian schools I'm applying to (Memorial, Toronto, Northern), but I'll also be applying to TCD, UCC, UCD, and St. George's in Grenada (last resort)

I've sent my application to Atlantic Bridge already, with fee, transcripts, statement, CV, etc etc. Just waiting for my last reference to send his letter off. I'm very early with all of this (deadline is Nov 15th?), but I just want to get it out of the way while I'm in "application" mode. At this point, I'm an essay writing machine.

Hoping to get an acceptance at TCD (my first choice for Ireland).

I'm rooting for everyone who has applied this year!

I personally decided to hold my applications until next year. I had a positive experience visiting University of Pittsburgh last month, and I really feel I should give US schools an equal chance by applying to everything at the same time. =) I can't wait to hear all of your acceptances come pouring in next year, though, and the excitement of new enrollment!!

Currently, I am relieved to have more time to research British schools, and I hope to visit the UK next spring!! Thanks to all the forum members who have taken the time to email and chat with me about their experiences. =) I'll be keeping tabs on the forum throughout the next year.

Good luck!!

Hi! What is the earliest you can apply to AB program?

Thanks!

I think their formal applications are sent in mid-September, so if you have all your stuff together, you can get it in as early as late September. But now I think they might have online applications. But I don't know if getting it in earlier means they're sent off earlier - for some reason I think the whole lot of applications are sent to the Irish schools in late November/December. I don't think Irish schools even look at applications until January.

I am just wondering how come you guys choose Irish or UK schools over schools such as Ross or SGU in the Carribean. When you can have two year of clinical rotation in States, which gives you better residency chance after you graduate.
I myself would always love to go to Europe and study there especially in Dublin which I think the best city in Europe, but when I looked at the tuition and the expenses and the debt I would have had after I graduate, made me choose SGU.

Just curious,

Rico