2006 US N&WR ENT rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dem4t

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
was wondering if anyone had a chance to look at the 2006 US News and World Report Rankings? I know that some people have trouble accepting the methodology behind the rankings, but that aside, many would agree that these rankings do provide a descent ballpark feel for how highly a program is regarded. Having said that, I was somewhat suprised but some of the movement from 2005 (ie Mt. Sinai #47--> #19!!!, Thomas Jefferson and UVa dropping a few spots, Chicago and Columbia/Cornell moving up...etc.) Anyone with any insight or care to discuss??

2006:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqotol.htm

2005 (pg 92 of 110):
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/methodology/ABH_Methodology_2005.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on whom you ask.

The rankings don't mean anything if you're not on the list. The rankings mean someting if you're on the list. The ranking order doesn't mean anything when you're lower on the list. And of course, if you're number one, the survey is a good survey.

My take is that the ranking reflects research grant $$$ combined with reputation of the department, thus any place that has a ton of research going on and/or has a healthy reputation will be ranked. I think that the quality of care and the quality of resident education is largely NOT RELATED to the ranking. By that I mean that, if you are a patient, you will probably get just as good of care at place #39 as you will from place #9. Similarly, residency education will be similar as well between the two places. In the end, I would not place a huge degree of emphasis on where a program is ranked when making your rank list, unless you are definitely going into academics, because research plays a bigger part of that ballgame.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheThroat said:
My take is that the ranking reflects research grant $$$ combined with reputation of the department, thus any place that has a ton of research going on and/or has a healthy reputation will be ranked. I think that the quality of care and the quality of resident education is largely NOT RELATED to the ranking. By that I mean that, if you are a patient, you will probably get just as good of care at place #39 as you will from place #9. Similarly, residency education will be similar as well between the two places. In the end, I would not place a huge degree of emphasis on where a program is ranked when making your rank list, unless you are definitely going into academics, because research plays a bigger part of that ballgame.

Throat, I noticed your reply on ENT programs and research. From your experience, do you think programs bump applicants up if they believe an ENT candidate is more likely to go into academics? I know Step 1, Clerkship Grades, and Interview makes a big difference. However, since published research is looked favorably, doesn't that imply that programs are looking for candidates to stay in academia?

p53 said:
Throat, I noticed your reply on ENT programs and research. From your experience, do you think programs bump applicants up if they believe an ENT candidate is more likely to go into academics? I know Step 1, Clerkship Grades, and Interview makes a big difference. However, since published research is looked favorably, doesn't that imply that programs are looking for candidates to stay in academia?

Absolutely. If you want to get into certain programs, you have to "sell" yourself as someone interested in research and academics.