Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2007 Barrons New MCAT practice tests

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Hatman, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Hatman

Anyone take these? I just took one and it seemed pretty tough. Any opinions? In addition, what other practice tests are good to take besides the e-mcat ones? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hatman

answer anyone?????

4. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    I've never heard many good things about Barrons. The general opinion is that their questions are not very indicative of what you will see on the actual test.

5. Dr Durden

Medical Student
    Sure Barron's is cheap, but definitely look elsewhere for both your study material and practice exams. Get the real deals from the AAMC; trust me, this is not a time when you want to pinch pennies.

6. SnoPearl

Medical Student
    I have Barron's mcat prep book from 2001 or so, and though the question content was difficult, I was mostly frustrated with the book's constant errors. It's like no one even bothers to proofread anything in that book. When you are getting questions wrong and you can't understand their explanation or when their explanation is flat out WRONG, that's a terrible way to be studying. They also skimp on their review section for orgo, chem, and physics, yet they spend a ton of pages reviewing biology with so much detail that it is ridiculous. I would recommend you look elsewhere for your mcat prep.

7. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, Barrons SUCKS. They do have an insane number of errors. There was only one thing I liked about their books, and that was the knowledge tests after every section in bio. But it was frustrating to see all the errors, especially when I was not 100% proficient in every area of bio they covered (never studied A&P, for example), and so it really made me wonder if the things I was learning were indeed correct.

I wish I had kept the receipt for the book, I want a refund!

8. Hatman

What do you guys think about the practice tests in the back of the book. Took a few of those and I seem to be skimming them by. I mean I usually get an 8 or 9 in verbal and I have hit 13 and 11 on the past two tests! Anyone run into the same problems?

9. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    i personally dont trust barrons at all. from what i hear the information is inaccurate, and from experience I know that the practice exams they offer are much easier than what you actually get. I did a few CBT practice exams from barrons and got no lower than 13 in each section. however, doing an AAMC exam (very close to actual mcat) i got about 9 in the sciences and 11 in verbal. just toss out barrons, do AAMC exams and study from princeton or examkrackers

10. JoOLieSaN

Pre-Medical
    Oh geez! I just took a Barron's Test yesterday and thought that the content was tooo easy! Scored a 32.

My gut feeling told me that their exams aren't actual simulations of the real MCAT and that the score I got would not be indicative of actual scores I'd receive on the MCAT!

Ugh I wish I was did a search before investing 20 in Barron's Book. What a waste of my time.

Thanks everyone.

11. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    I <3 Barron's. Scored SO high on those exams. (I have no idea if they're indicative of my actual score or not -- let ya know in ~10 days, though :p).