2008-2009 Columbia College of P&S Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow...two rejections in the same week for me...UCSD (preinterview) and then columbia :mad:...and no i dont have a positive attitude lol..those m*therf*ckers led me on (and apparently others) like ****....my interviewer basically told me i was in, not in those words, but geez...and then they jus flat out reject me! no WL?????? as weezy said "F*CK EM F*CK EM EVEN IF THEY CELIBATE!!!*

:laugh: felt good, love SDN.

I'm loving the bitter reactions. :laugh: I'm more sad and upset than angry and bitter, but the angry and bitter responses are making me feel better. My interviewer also led me on a bit, but not nearly as much as what happened to some other people (he just said he thought I had a very good chance of getting in and that I was a strong candidate, which I've been learning to ignore because they've all been saying that and I haven't been getting in everywhere).

I wonder what percentages are of people who get rejected and people who get wait listed post interview.

As my PI told me the other day: Don't let the bastards get you down!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised that they post-inteview rejected anyone. You'd think that they'd want to play it safe...? I'm sure you all are awesome! And my interviewers have definitely lied to me before. It's lame.

My interview was pretty candid with me about what my chances were. He stopped me in the middle of the interview and said something along the lines that there was a good chance I'd be waitlisted.

And hey, I was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have such a brilliant idea, why don't you suggest to SDN that they make these threads "subscription only" if you think that only people who actually applied to a school should post in the thread?

And aren't you being a tad hypocritical when you question why I am here while simultaneously chastising me for asking someone else why they are posting unhelpful if not hurtful comments here? As for the presumption he has superior insight into admissions decisions, Milkman Al has zero insights into why anyone who made it to the interview stage at Columbia did not get accepted, or anywhere else for that matter.
As I said, I don't have any issue with anyone wanting to contribute to this thread or support people going through the process. But if you're going to question someone's right to post here, you should live up to your own standards.

And back to our regularly scheduled programming of celebration/commisseration :D

Last edited:
I have to say I'm surprised that anyone would be bitter or shocked to be denied by a med school like Columbia. Most of the Ivies end up accepting only 25-35% of those who get an interview, and all of those who interview are probably worthy of admission. I salute all of you who made it to the interview stage. You are all in a very select group.

I have to say I'm surprised that anyone would be bitter or shocked to be denied by a med school like Columbia. Most of the Ivies end up accepting only 25-35% of those who get an interview, and all of those who interview are probably worthy of admission. I salute all of you who made it to the interview stage. You are all in a very select group.

Thank you for that breath of fresh air.

We've all been wound up since mid-February (if not earlier). I think it's time we all just relaxed.........

so.... go back to the admissions.
has anyone applied not get the letter yet? I called today and the lady told me that she sent out my letter last Friday. guess i'll just have to wait till the end of the week. what a slow death.:scared:

As I said, I don't have any issue with anyone wanting to contribute to this thread or support people going through the process. But if you're going to question someone's right to post here, you should live up to your own standards.

And back to our regularly scheduled programming of celebration/commisseration :D

I didn't question his "right" to post here - I questioned his reason (to use your word and on which you challenged me). My intent was to question why he took time from his presumably busy M1 life to come to a "secondary/acceptances" thread of a school he did not apply to, much less interview at, to basically piss down some poor kid's neck with an ******* comment.

My sentiments exactly. I was expecting the waitlist. I was shocked to even get an interview. Although I worked hard on the application, I knew I only had a sliver of hope to get into a school such as Columbia. It really is a numbers game---I don't know why people have such a hard time accepting this. A lot of people I know think that some "killer ECs" are going to bridge the gap between a 30-34 and 37+ mcat score. It's simply not going to fly. Ok, so you have some pretty decent clinincal experience **checks box**. You volunteered a lot either by teaching or some other community project **checks box**. Not to bash any of these things...I have done them myself, but come on, do you really think this distinguishes you? Unless you have done something truly amazing like been first author on a handful of papers (in which case, maybe you should be applying md/phd anyway) I don't think adcoms are going to pay much attention. A negative decision by any top tier medical school does not mean they believe you will not become a proficient physician. To quote Don Lucchesi from The Godfather, "It's not personal, it's business." If you have even one acceptance, thank your lucky stars and be happy......

hey tres i will be attending second look, im pretty excited. im planning to stay over just to see how it is, although i know the area like the back of my hand, i grew up there, and have family around.

So we have achance to request room assignments? that should be interesting. if u havent already join the facebook group too

My sentiments exactly. I was expecting the waitlist. I was shocked to even get an interview. Although I worked hard on the application, I knew I only had a sliver of hope to get into a school such as Columbia. It really is a numbers game---I don't know why people have such a hard time accepting this. A lot of people I know think that some "killer ECs" are going to bridge the gap between a 30-34 and 37+ mcat score. It's simply not going to fly. Ok, so you have some pretty decent clinincal experience **checks box**. You volunteered a lot either by teaching or some other community project **checks box**. Not to bash any of these things...I have done them myself, but come on, do you really think this distinguishes you? Unless you have done something truly amazing like been first author on a handful of papers (in which case, maybe you should be applying md/phd anyway) I don't think adcoms are going to pay much attention. A negative decision by any top tier medical school does not mean they believe you will not become a proficient physician. To quote Don Lucchesi from The Godfather, "It's not personal, it's business." If you have even one acceptance, thank your lucky stars and be happy......

I strongly agree with that, and would like to add something else: just because you feel like you're a perfect fit for the school, it doesn't mean the school agrees with you. It might be that you didn't stress those qualities enough, or that the school doesn't care all that much about "fit", or (this is the most likely) your idea of what the school is actually like and what kind of students it wants is OFF THE MARK. This is because you don't know the school, don't go there, and can't possibly know anything about it other than what they want you to know (even if you know people who go there, for all you know they might be changing things around this year and looking for a different "feel"- point is, you can't know that). So I don't really see why one should sweat one particular rejection. Call it bad luck, call it bad numbers, call it bad fit, whatever makes you sleep at night, just be happy you've gotten in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn yeah that sucks. I live about 30 minutes away now. lol make columbia roll out the red carpet serikk!! lol just kidding

Or a higher GPA, huh, Milkman?

WTF are you doing on the Columbia accepted thread anyway - aren't you in med school? Regardless, clearly you have no inside information as to how Columbia are any other schools made post interview decisions...
Let me break it down for ya, hot stuff. Chad has great EC's, a great GPA, presumably great letters of recommendation since he's obviously a good person, and is probably a strong interviewer since he has so many acceptances. What does that leave? Figure it out. Also, what are you doing in the Columbia thread? Aren't you not applying to med school yet? I moderate this forum. What's your excuse? Everyone has the right to post in whatever forum or thread he/she wants.

Let me break it down for ya, hot stuff. Chad has great EC's, a great GPA, presumably great letters of recommendation since he's obviously a good person, and is probably a strong interviewer since he has so many acceptances. What does that leave? Figure it out. Also, what are you doing in the Columbia thread? Aren't you not applying to med school yet? I moderate this forum. What's your excuse? Everyone has the right to post in whatever forum or thread he/she wants.

Not that I should be sticking my nose in, but really, everyone is free to post where they'd like. I don't think that it's wrong that Milkman is browsing this thread or posting in it. He is, after all, a moderator.

Having said that, you could have been a little more sensitive to chad's situation, Milkman. He really has been working hard for this, and Columbia was his dream school. I think your curt summary explaining his current situation, the culmination of months of hard work, could have been handled with a bit more tact.

Woohoo! Best thing I ever read in college.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to second look. I REALLY want to. I need some $$.
I second that. :D Call them up and explain that you are THE serikk. Your whims cannot be denied and they simply must fly you out first class.

:DWaitlisted!!!!!

I take the subway home with Dr. Frantz everyday. My plan is to stage a robbery.. and then i'd come to his rescue. Sounds good?

Hey guys, this has all gotten a bit out of hand. Let's try to keep it civil and keep the discussion related to the main topic.

In regards to my situation, I first of all want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support. It's truly encouraging and inspirational for me and I appreciate the sympathy (misery loves company!). Second, I agree with Milkman that it probably was my MCAT that kept me out although I feel it could have been my interview. I have a feeling that my interviewer dismissed my application before meeting me, and he didn't even try to get to know me during the interview. Anytime I'd try to talk he cut me off and went on about how great Columbia was. The interview probably lasted about 20-25 minutes and I said maybe 10 sentences the entire time. Of course at the time I misconstrued this as an interview where the purpose was that of recruitment, but in hindsight I realize this wasn't the case. I wish I had interviewed with Dean Frantz because I'm pretty sure it's because of him that I was invited to interview in the first place. Finally, I haven't taken offense at any of the comments made here about me, so I suggest we all just welcome whoever wants to read/post in this thread regardless of their current educational standing and move on.

Anyway, I'm totally stoked about my other acceptances, and I still can't believe I got into Maryland OOS. Their OOS acceptance rate is actually lower than the overall acceptance rate at Columbia, so :p to them! ;)

Again, who are you to challenge my posting on this thread? Your hypocrisy is quite rich, and yet you are still an *******.

Multiple people have pointed out that your post(s) RE Chad were rude. Not so much as a peep of an apology from you, either.

Chad, good luck to you.

Hey guys, this has all gotten a bit out of hand. Let's try to keep it civil and keep the discussion related to the main topic.

In regards to my situation, I first of all want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support. It's truly encouraging and inspirational for me and I appreciate the sympathy (misery loves company!). Second, I agree with Milkman that it probably was my MCAT that kept me out although I feel it could have been my interview. I have a feeling that my interviewer dismissed my application before meeting me, and he didn't even try to get to know me during the interview. Anytime I'd try to talk he cut me off and went on about how great Columbia was. The interview probably lasted about 20-25 minutes and I said maybe 10 sentences the entire time. Of course at the time I misconstrued this as an interview where the purpose was that of recruitment, but in hindsight I realize this wasn't the case. I wish I had interviewed with Dean Frantz because I'm pretty sure it's because of him that I was invited to interview in the first place. Finally, I haven't taken offense at any of the comments made here about me, so I suggest we all just welcome whoever wants to read/post in this thread regardless of their current educational standing and move on.

Anyway, I'm totally stoked about my other acceptances, and I still can't believe I got into Maryland OOS. Their OOS acceptance rate is actually lower than the overall acceptance rate at Columbia, so :p to them! ;)

Aw Chad, you're such a nice person. :) Best of luck to you with everything!!

I hope people don't actually behave like this when they're on the job in the future....

damn yeah that sucks. I live about 30 minutes away now. lol make columbia roll out the red carpet serikk!! lol just kidding

I second that. :D Call them up and explain that you are THE serikk. Your whims cannot be denied and they simply must fly you out first class.
:laugh: OK. All those who want to be on the Dean-Frantz?-This-is-serikk.-I'm-not-coming-to-Columbia-unless-you-admit-(insert name here) list, please post it here, so I know. :cool:

:laugh: OK. All those who want to be on the Dean-Frantz?-This-is-serikk.-I'm-not-coming-to-Columbia-unless-you-admit-(insert name here) list, please post it here, so I know. :cool:

I guess it's too late for that for me? :laugh:

Don't forget that you also need to demand a full tuition (+ living expenses) scholarship!

Add me to the waitlisted crowd! I'm sorry, let me be more positive, the very highly ranked yet not quite there crowd. :)

Again, who are you to challenge my posting on this thread? Your hypocrisy is quite rich, and yet you are still an *******.

WTF are you doing on the Columbia accepted thread anyway - aren't you in med school?

huh.jpg

Last edited:
Has it only been a week since I heard? I feel like it's time to send another letter.......

Am I the only one trying?

Has it only been a week since I heard? I feel like it's time to send another letter.......

Am I the only one trying?

I dunno. I'm not ready to write anything yet.

I'm going to send four letters - each with a distinct theme.
The first one denying my waitlisted status, and then the second one unleashing my anger at the committe, followed by a desperate plea, and lastly trigger their sympathy with a letter portraying my depression.
By then, I'll have earned my acceptance.

have accepted students received any emails? i'm away from my mail and have to wait until spring break is over until i get my decision!

no i didnt recieve an email just a packet for now

Can anyone verify that E00117 is the code for P&S?

Hi y'all. Just wanted to give a bit of info (and maybe some hope) to the people who are on the waitlist. I know how arduous a process this can be, and how it can feel like absolute torture to continue playing admissions game past March.

I am a happy first year medical student at P&S, and I got off the waitlist. In fact, many of my classmates got off the waitlist as well, and aren't ashamed to admit it. Columbia is really great because you don't feel like second class citizens, and just as a plug, I personally think that was have some of the most interesting and well-rounded people here.

So what's the deal here, and how should you plan your extra couple of months?

1. If you don't really want to go to P&S, and you're happy/satisfied where you are, don't sweat it, save yourself the extra stress and withdraw.

2. Show interest! Dean Frantz is exclusively responsible for picking people from the waitlist; make sure you research P&S and provide thoughtful and enthusiastic LOIs that highlight how artistic you are, well-rounded, how this relates to medicine, why you'll be a good fit blah blah blah. It's no secret that he loves rugby, shakespeare, classical music and history but if you do not boast of the achievements mentioned above do not fake it. Just make sure you proffer a compelling argument about why/how you would contribute to the class of 2013.

3. Do not show TOO much interest. To be fair, there is a girl in our class who was apparently told that she sent the most letters Frantz had ever seen, but I suspect that too much of a good thing is not always awesome. Space your letters out at least a few weeks and try to make up random reasons or calling/writing. For instance, if you sent one immediately after you got a WL letter (I think this is a good idea because it shows you really want to be here), wait until the beginning of April at least to send another one in, preferably with some new letters of reference, updates, etcetera. Within a couple days of sending it, you could possibly call to "make sure they got there."

4. Speaking of which, make sure you call him. Give him every opportunity to give you an interview if you have not interviewed with him before. People who have--I'm sorry, it's not likely he'll interview you again. This CERTAINLY doesn't mean that your chances are less than your colleagues, but that there are less things you can do within these coupe months. DO NOT request an interview. Use common sense. Give him opportunities, but do not push him or you'll likely just rub him the wrong way.

5. Try to be patient. It's hard, especially when the timeline is soo variable. This is what I had gathered last year and my own experiences:

A. Whoever posted earlier that you have movement of 35-60, I would guess that is in the ballpark. I don't know if it was as high as 60 last year, but it may have well been. Nice thing about Columbia is (for those on the waitlist) that because it is a top 10 (or 11) school, it seeks all the same students that the top 1-5 schools do. Those students may have gotten acceptances from Columbia, and then get into hopkins, penn and harvard. Give them a chance to get into other schools (next week?) and withdraw their acceptances. (1-3 weeks later)

B. I think I was able to score an interview in mid-late april. I lied and said that I was going to be in New York anyway. (Not a bad strategy) If you're from California, do not do this. He may very well just interview you on the phone. If it's possible/easy for you to get to New York, mentioning that you'll be in the area is another way to give him an opportunity to see you.

C. I really wanted to be accepted at my interview. I was not, and was kinda bummed. Sometimes he will give outright acceptances, but I believe those do not happen until later in May.

D. I called up a week or two later (early May) to ask if he had gotten my 'thank you note.' It was then that I was accepted. He'll ask you if it's your first choice and that you would go there rather than anywhere else (obviously say yes. obviously mean it.)

E. This is on the EARLY side. Most movement will happen in the middle of or late May. You do not need to visit him. You do not need to call him necessarily. I know a lot of people who got calls from him to interview, and were much less proactive. However, then you have to wait longer, and subsequently you risk being overlooked.

F. From talking with people in my class and the threads from last year, I think that early-mid June is when this process starts winding down. So if May is done, don't lose hope, but your chances become considerably diminished. I believe he goes on vacation sometime in June too. If you ask him what your chances are in late May, June, he'll give you an honest answer. Do not ask him in April what your chances are. He'll give you some standard spiel about needing to have a better idea of how many openings he'll have. If you interview with him, he'll give you honest feedback, so you have a better idea of where you stand.

I hope that this is thorough and helpful for you guys--just wanted to give back a little bit because I found this information very useful when I went through the process myself. Good luck and I will look forward to meeting some of you next year!

Wait, we can ask for a second interview? I actually AM going to be in the area in April some time...

By which I mean: if our interview during interview season was with a faculty member and not Dean Frantz.

OK so you're saying to send extra LOIs and ALSO call? Do you mean call him directly to express your interest in the school, something like that? Or to call the admissions office and have them transfer you? Also, if he isn't available, would leaving a voicemail be acceptable in this case?

I was thinking of mentioning a second interview in my LOI but now you're saying not to push it. Would that not be a good idea? Also, based on recent posts it's looking like you need to have had at least one interview with him to get off the WL. Is that a correct assumption?

Sorry the bombardment of questions :rolleyes:!

Okay, some clarification.

1. You should NOT ask for a second interview. If you will be in the area, you might want to mention it later in April.

2. No flow if you've already had an interview with Frantz.

3. Do what feels natural for you in terms of LOI and calling. If you call the office and tell them you are a waitlist student, they will ask you who you are and put you through to Frantz, or tell you that he will call you back (which he does pretty quickly). Do not start bombarding the dean with desparate calls and 7 LOIs. But a couple of well placed ones that have NEW information in it (think about this while you're writing them) can keep your application conspicuous (which you want it to be).

4. Remember that these are ALL suggestions. You do not NEED a second interview with Frantz, sometimes he'll just call you. (This would definately not occur until middle mayish unless there were extenuating circumstances) The notes I mentioned above are simply my own personal experience and the cumulative information that I remember reading from years past. It may work, it may not, so take it with a grain of salt. Just trying to reduce the information assymetry between the black hole that is the waitlist.

I see, I see. So calling and mentioning that you'll be in the area in April should only be done in April.

i may be misunderstanding the process, but don't you have to narrow down your acceptances to 1 on May 15th? How do you wait to see if you're off the waitlist for columbia after that time without declining your other acceptances down to zero?

You have to narrow down your acceptances to one by May 15th. While holding on to that one acceptance, you can remain on all waitlists to see if you can get into another school. This is why waitlist movement, although slower in the summer, continues until schools begin classes.

lol, is dean Franz God or something? why does he single handedly select the class? sounds tyrannical to me...

he probably single handedly rejected me too...:mad:

and then you got into harvard, so perhaps you shouldn't sweat this one.

:laugh::laugh:

Harvard AND Hopkins...AND every other school in the country :p

No seriously, you'll be fine.

lol yea i kno im jus bein a brat...it was kinda harsh tho, im sure you heard about the less than tactful letter of rejection that they sent...columbia kids were really cool too, as were hopkins kids; hms kids on the other hand -meh. lol...

lol yea i kno im jus bein a brat...it was kinda harsh tho, im sure you heard about the less than tactful letter of rejection that they sent...columbia kids were really cool too, as were hopkins kids; hms kids on the other hand -meh. lol...

I thought their rejection letter was pretty nice actually.

It's a form letter, though. Don't take it too personally.

Hi y'all. Just wanted to give a bit of info (and maybe some hope) to the people who are on the waitlist. I know how arduous a process this can be, and how it can feel like absolute torture to continue playing admissions game past March.
I hope that this is thorough and helpful for you guys--just wanted to give back a little bit because I found this information very useful when I went through the process myself. Good luck and I will look forward to meeting some of you next year!

Thank you so much!

For anyone interested in comparing notes, I sent an LOI with my acceptance of my alternate status earlier this month. I just returned from a week-long vacation to find the acknowledgment letter from Columbia. There was also a hand-written note from Dean Frantz, much as those mentioned in last year's waitlist thread (i.e. "Thanks for your letter... too soon to accept from the waitlist... will keep you in mind").

Status
Not open for further replies.