2008-2009 Columbia College of P&S Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted yesterday off of the waitlist as well! It was surreal.

congrats! and so jealous!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who have gotten in so far! Still hoping for similar good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I sent him a LOI and then he called me a few weeks back to invite me to interview with him. He printed out the letter right after the interview and signed it. I keep pulling out the letter to make sure it's real. Two Columbia students came by to say hi because they got in off of hte waitlist last year. It was really nice!

Are new people notified about acceptances *ON* May 15th, or is there some lag time as they make decisions based on the number of people that withdraw on May 15th? Thanks.

There has already been some movement, but I think it will pick up at around May 15 and end at around June 15. Then movement will be more sporadic if there is any.

Been lurking for a while now; got accepted off the waitlist today!! I wasn't expecting it - at least not this early. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
Been lurking for a while now; got accepted off the waitlist today!! I wasn't expecting it - at least not this early. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congratulations!!!!

Did you have a 2nd interview too? And would you mind sharing with us what you've done to express interest (if anything) since being put on the waitlist?

Congratulations!!!!

Did you have a 2nd interview too? And would you mind sharing with us what you've done to express interest (if anything) since being put on the waitlist?

I did not have a second interview (and I'm not in the Northeast). I wrote Dean Frantz 3 times - once after my interview, once in March, and once in April. In my letters I tried to illustrate both what I liked about the school and what I would contribute to it based on what I've done. I also called him once, although our conversation was very brief.

off the waitlist!

sent dean frantz a letter, got a call-back and was offered a spot

Congrats guys!
Waitlist seems to be moving earlier this year.
Also, does anyone else find it interesting that on this page right now there are four threads on the topic of School A vs. Columbia P&S?
I can't help but hope they ALL choose School A.
School A's the best.

Hi guys,

I called Dean Frantz earlier and he told me that the waitlist is "unusually slow this year." I've read past posts that that is not a good sign...

Do you know anyone that has heard this "bad news" and still was accepted later on?

I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can...

So I called him yesterday and he said that a lot of people were holding on to multiple acceptances and he expects a fair amount of movement (but could be wrong). It's looking pretty good guys :) :luck:!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooooooo...... did you guys call him directly?

I just called the office, but I was too nervous to ask to speak to him. And now I feel like if I call his number, I'll look like a flake or stalker or weirdo or something.

I need some closure!!!!!!!!!! This is agonizing.

Better to wait than to receive an early rejection, no? We'll find out a lot this month I think...

I'm proud to say that I just got taken off waitlist.

I sent a thankyou letter, a LOintent, and a copy of my undergrad thesis on ant behavior and recognition. I just sent the thesis a couple days ago, and Friday found out that I was going to be my school's equivalent of valedictorian. Since I just had sent a letter, I used it as an excuse to call Dean Frantz (through the admissions office). After confirming that Columbia was my top choice, he accepted me on the spot. Dream come true! It was a close race between Columbia and WashU but there's no looking back now :)

congrats!!!!

just wondering, is EVERYONE who is being accepted off the waitlist right now PROMISING to withdraw from all other schools? So basically if you are not sure about committing, you are not accepted off the waitlist right?

If that's the case, and everyone is accepting and promising to commit, there must be, like, almost no more seats left.... :(

I wouldn't worry. Even if they do commit to go, financial reasons can be quite compelling if they get better aid from someone else. I'm pretty sure that finances are always a valid loophole for this stuff. And the original admits may not have all withdrawn yet.

thanks tiare. I actually have a question for you. I am going to private message you...

I wouldn't worry. Even if they do commit to go, financial reasons can be quite compelling if they get better aid from someone else. I'm pretty sure that finances are always a valid loophole for this stuff. And the original admits may not have all withdrawn yet.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm committed, I've given my word in writing and verbally to Dean Frantz. He was very specific about it when he asked me if I would attend Columbia despite all other potential acceptances and offers. I interpret offers as also being financial offers. I agree that you should not worry at this point though, most of the waitlist movement is yet to come. However, I've heard over and over from students at Columbia that if you want in off waitlist you're going to need to commit. The faster the better it seems like :D

Yes, I agree that this is what Dean Frantz WANTS to have happen. However, I don't think that this is a particularly ethical procedure on his side. Therefore, I think that it is still valid to take a full scholarship or whatever. Applicants have rights too.

Yes, I agree that this is what Dean Frantz WANTS to have happen. However, I don't think that this is a particularly ethical procedure on his side. Therefore, I think that it is still valid to take a full scholarship or whatever. Applicants have rights too.

It's as ethical as EDP. It saves both them and us time and hassle. I'm willing to give up my "rights" to other opportunities because I have made the decision that I would not go to any other school given the option, that's what a letter of intent is. I know all of my financial deals at this point, and I doubt that one of my waitlists is going to offer me better than what I've already gotten. You don't make a firm commitment and back out of it. All we have at this point is our integrity, why soil it by gaming the system and offering letters of intent to multiple schools. If people who don't commit don't get in, that's simply because so many other thought it was a great deal to get into Columbia now rather than risk it later. This is just another EDP for those who are sure of where they want to go.

Last edited:
I disagree, but I'm willing to concede the point. Each to his own! Congrats on your offer.

I disagree, but I'm willing to concede the point. Each to his own! Congrats on your offer.

No need to concede, I was about to say something similar :). Will I most likely be seeing you next year? First round on me, especially if you know your way around NYC.

You'll almost certainly be seeing me next year barring a bizarre accident. We definitely need to explore NYC! I plan on spending a lot of weekend afternoons in Central Park, at least before winter starts. I just discovered the Shakespeare Garden!

You'll almost certainly be seeing me next year barring a bizarre accident. We definitely need to explore NYC! I plan on spending a lot of weekend afternoons in Central Park, at least before winter starts. I just discovered the Shakespeare Garden!

Its American Ballet Theatre all the way for me. I spent too much time trudging through Russian websites trying to piece together a biography of Alexei Ratmansky to not see his work in person.

just got a second interview for next week! he wouldnt ask me to come in if i didnt have a chance right? for people who've been back for second interview, did you do the whole suit thing again?

Yeah, he interviews and gives you a slot on the spot or maybe later if he likes you. I wore a suit, but you could probably get away with business casual?

Is he mainly calling you guys for these interviews/acceptances or is he mailing stuff in?

Is he mainly calling you guys for these interviews/acceptances or is he mailing stuff in?

I was the call initiator when I got accepted. I didn't ask for a second interview, as I interviewed with him already the first time around.

i've never met him - sent a loi, and he called me a little after that

So I come to you guys today with a very important question. I have a regulation length and width beer pong table, which I rarely use but am very fond of. What say you, should I bring it to Bard Hall with me, or would the sight of me carrying a green beer pong table into my room be a tad... uncouth? :D

Haha, I'd say to bring it except I doubt it'll fit in your room. It looks to be about the size of my college dorm bedrooms, which had enough room for a bed, a desk, a bookshelf, and a 2' square rug in the rest of the open space.

So I come to you guys today with a very important question. I have a regulation length and width beer pong table, which I rarely use but am very fond of. What say you, should I bring it to Bard Hall with me, or would the sight of me carrying a green beer pong table into my room be a tad... uncouth? :D

Dude, do it. For undergrad, I made a beer pong table out plain wood and had it marked up throughout the years with random crap (e.g. "John got trolled", obligatory penis outlines, etc.) We gotta do one for P&S '13 !!!!

So I called Dean Frantz yesterday afternoon.

He said he appreciated my interest, then went on to describe the process: every med school over-accepts at first, movement starts happening in April, moreso in May after the 15th. It varies dramatically from year to year. So far this year there hasn't been as much movement as in past years, but it's still early. In other words, there wasn't much he could tell me at this time, but he wanted to assure me that he would keep me very much in mind.

Sigh.

So I called Dean Frantz yesterday afternoon.

He said he appreciated my interest, then went on to describe the process: every med school over-accepts at first, movement starts happening in April, moreso in May after the 15th. It varies dramatically from year to year. So far this year there hasn't been as much movement as in past years, but it's still early. In other words, there wasn't much he could tell me at this time, but he wanted to assure me that he would keep me very much in mind.

Sigh.

Keep trying!

And lol at Dean Frantz's catchphrases! He's got admissions down pat.

Dude, do it. For undergrad, I made a beer pong table out plain wood and had it marked up throughout the years with random crap (e.g. "John got trolled", obligatory penis outlines, etc.) We gotta do one for P&S '13 !!!!

Only if you help me sneak it in!

About a week ago a friend of mine that doesn't post here was accepted following the second interview. Everyone should request the second interview imo. Not wait for it, but actively ask if they can have one.

Complacent Carls and Waiting Wendys are at a disadvantage relative to Aggresive Andys or Hard-working Harriets, assuming some degree of tact and social skill.

Hi everyone, I was accepted off the waitlist last week. I had written Dean Frantz an update letter a week earlier, and he called me a few days later, saying that if P&S were my top choice, and if I committed, he had a definite offer of admissions for me. I thought about it (had a full ride somewhere else, so it was a really tough choice), called him back a few days later, and he accepted me. I am happy about my choice, and I am going to be withdrawing from everywhere else.

So it's not necessary to have a second interview; I actually think that it may only delay the process because he does accept straight off the waitlist without meeting the candidate. And the number of open seats might be decreasing by the day... at least that's what I think.

Good luck to all those waiting :luck::xf::luck: Hang in there!!!

sneak it in? we should get Frantz in on a game...

I'm wondering if it would just be simpler to by a fold up one so I can hide it from the disapproval of my parents for the week I'll be at home. :laugh: I'll figure something out, maybe I'll make it my project to convert it into something adjustable in size. I'm totally going to be reinforcing the stereotype of my University...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.