• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cast128

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
  1. Medical Student
    eee gads! :eek:

Anything pulling you towards Georgetown? Do you mind staying in Texas for medical school? I'm sure if you penny pinch and stick to a budget you could bring that 70k down to 65k or less. What fields of medicine are you interested? ROADs/Surgery or Primary Care?

I really enjoyed the feel of Georgetown and the opportunities available to their students (overseas rotations, NIH research in summer) and I have some family nearby. I am not actually from Texas and would just be going there purely for medical school. I'm not big on the location (temple, tx) and I really loved D.C. when I visited. I have no interest in primary care and see myself in a specialty (I done a lot of work in radiology). Will Georgetown help with that more than another school? I just don't know how to weight $40,000 on a pro con list haha.

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Aug 16, 2005
    1. Medical Student
      I really enjoyed the feel of Georgetown and the opportunities available to their students (overseas rotations, NIH research in summer) and I have some family nearby. I am not actually from Texas and would just be going there purely for medical school. I'm not big on the location (temple, tx) and I really loved D.C. when I visited. I have no interest in primary care and see myself in a specialty (I done a lot of work in radiology). Will Georgetown help with that more than another school? I just don't know how to weight $40,000 on a pro con list haha.

How is the texas option so cheap if you aren't a resident? Did they give you grant aid? I see UT Galveston's OS cost of attendance as 51225 in MSAR, and Texas A&M at 48036. I think Georgetown's COA is a high estimate to be honest. 12000 for living expenses is if you plan on living by yourself (which you may want). But graduating 4th years have been sending emails about bedrooms available in houses with other medical school roommates for around 900 a month. Plus you have to consider if you are covered under your parent's insurance plan if that's possible. They also give high estimates for food and traveling expenses. I think it could be doable at 60,000 a year (that's assuming no outside grants), and 60,000 would easily be doable if you applies for federal work-study.

Post Hill

10+ Year Member
      May 19, 2008
      WV
      1. Pre-Medical
        Well I got my financial aid today and was yet again treated to nothing but loans. I am not sure if I can stomach $70,000 a year for 4 years when I have a $30,000 dollar option in Texas. I hate how this all has to come down to money! Hope the rest of you get better news than I did.

I'm in the same situation, with a state school only being about $36,000. Despite how much I really love Georgetown and all the opportunities it has, I'm not sure if I can go there without any aid. I mean, I'm not leaning towards family practice right now, but if I get two years in and want to go that direction, it'd be a serious pain trying to pay off that kind of debt.

Meh.

About the Ads

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Aug 16, 2005
        1. Medical Student
          I picked Georgetown over a cheaper choice (SUNY Buffalo) and haven't regretted it. But I had some pretty compelling reasons (undergrad at Georgetown, long-term SO going to Georgetown Law). If I were in either of your positions, I would seriously consider Georgetown if I felt like it was the best place for me, especially if I was interested in the more competitive specialties since Georgetown's match list favors the competitive specialties. But....if you liked your state schools just as much, no one would think you are crazy for picking them.

Man, I wish Georgetown wasn't so expensive. It would be so much easier being a Gtown troll.

cast128

10+ Year Member
          Sep 27, 2008
          1. Medical Student
            How is the texas option so cheap if you aren't a resident? Did they give you grant aid? I see UT Galveston's OS cost of attendance as 51225 in MSAR, and Texas A&M at 48036. I think Georgetown's COA is a high estimate to be honest. 12000 for living expenses is if you plan on living by yourself (which you may want). But graduating 4th years have been sending emails about bedrooms available in houses with other medical school roommates for around 900 a month. Plus you have to consider if you are covered under your parent's insurance plan if that's possible. They also give high estimates for food and traveling expenses. I think it could be doable at 60,000 a year (that's assuming no outside grants), and 60,000 would easily be doable if you applies for federal work-study.

Both Texas schools ended up giving me a scholarship which brings my tuition down to in-state levels (~$10,000). Do current students like the new curriculum? What do you feel the downsides of Georgetown are besides the price.

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Aug 16, 2005
            1. Medical Student
              Both Texas schools ended up giving me a scholarship which brings my tuition down to in-state levels (~$10,000). Do current students like the new curriculum? What do you feel the downsides of Georgetown are besides the price.

I would imagine that Georgetown has a more national match list than the texas schools you are admitted to, and this could be an important thing to consider if you don't want to wind up in Texas for residency. Georgetown has a very national match list. In 2009, we placed graduates in 32 different states in very good programs. Georgetown graduates can be found all over the nation.

I don't know anything about the location and opportunities around the Texas schools you are considering, but I really feel that you can't put a price on Georgetown's location (proximity to NIH, cultural and governmental hub on the east coast, lots of young smart graduate students and professionals, lots of great bars/restaurants, free cultural/music festivals, free museums/zoo....I can go on and on. If you felt the "vibe" at Georgetown, don't think you are crazy for picking the more expensive choice. You will like your time more and wind up doing better. Especially of you are interested in more competitive specialties, you will be able to pay off your loans. People speak of loans on here as if they are sinful to accept. It's a fact of our private education system.

Last edited:

Enroh

10+ Year Member
              Nov 19, 2008
              1. Medical Student
                Just got into Georgetown today!!!! I interviewed in March and they told me in April that my decision was being deferred until May 12 and I just got an email today!!

blurryLines

10+ Year Member
                Jul 30, 2008
                  I really loved Georgetown. It seems like an awesome place! Being from the DC area, though, I decided to try somewhere different for medical school and withdrew a couple of days ago. Good luck if you're CAP'd. :luck: I'd just keep sending letters if it's where you really want to be. I got the impression from the interview and second look that desire to attend is one of the biggest factors for Georgetown post-interview - definitely moreso than a lot of other schools I've seen.

Post Hill

10+ Year Member
                  May 19, 2008
                  WV
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Good luck to all you CAP's folks. I withdrew my acceptance today. In the end it came out to money matters. With ~200 students in each class at Gtown there isn't very much aid to be spread around. Good luck if you go there...it's a really nice place and I wish I could've gone.

About the Ads

GolfMustang07

10+ Year Member
                    Sep 30, 2008
                    Maryland
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      Accepted today 5/22!!! So @#@$!# pumped

Congrats! thats great. I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

For all those still on the waitlist you should keep sending letters! I know they will be accepting students almost up until the day of matriculation.

To anyone set on going to Gtown, PM me is you are interested in trying to find housing/potential room.

Enjoy you summer

funfetti

10+ Year Member
                      Mar 20, 2009
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        quick question - I just received an e-mail from AMCAS saying that a school has requested to run a background check on me. Now the only schools that I have pending decisions at that are on that list are Penn State and Georgetown. Given that I haven't spoken a peep to Penn State since I was placed on their hold list back in December, I can't see it being them (but who knows, med schools are wacky). What do you think this means/ Did anyone else receive a similar e-mail prior to getting into a school, particularly Georgetown? :D

kgb71385

10+ Year Member
                        Jan 16, 2009
                          I got that e-mail today as well, and was super excited!!! But then I googled and found this website:

http://som.georgetown.edu/documents/Criminal Background Check.pdf

Scroll down to the last paragraph on the first page and it states that those who are waitlisted will get their background checks in May so that if they are accepted close to the beginning of school, they will have this all done. Such a bummer, but hopefully things will work out for us :)

About the Ads

kgb71385

10+ Year Member
                          Jan 16, 2009
                            I'm really not sure. The wording is confusing:

"In addition, the School of Medicine may request that the AAMC vendor conduct background checks on a limited number of applicants in a Select Pool, who have not yet been offered admission, but may be offered conditional admission just prior to the start of classes."

My guess from that would be that it means they can only do a certain number of background checks on applicants that are not accepted yet. So they probably do up to their limit. But, that is only a guess, I don't want anyone to think that just because they didn't get a background check, they won't get off the waitlist. Blah, SO STRESSFUL, I was thinking on calling the admissions office and asking. Have you called them?

kgb71385

10+ Year Member
                            Jan 16, 2009
                              So I called the school to inquire about the e-mail and check my status, and they let me know I was accepted!!! So Good Luck to you and everyone else still waiting!!!! I hope we can be fellow classmates =)

About the Ads
                              Status
                              Not open for further replies.