2008-2009 WashU Secondary Application Thread - Pt 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The original thread may be found here

This thread is for the discussion of WashU application issues.

Secondaries, Interviews, Waitlists/Acceptances/Rejections/etc.

Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the new thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in late November/early December. Do you think I would be notified in the next batch in January?

I interviewed in late November/early December. Do you think I would be notified in the next batch in January?

Hope so! The good (also bad?) news is that as the season rolls on, it takes less and less time to notify you.:xf::luck:

Hope so! The good (also bad?) news is that as the season rolls on, it takes less and less time to notify you.:xf::luck:

Oh man. Now I'm anxiously waiting for January 5th:thumbup:

and does anyone know about the midwest? I think a few people have been accepted, but only the best of the best (1 exceptional URM, 1 MD/PhD) have gotten in as far as SDN goes. Sadly for me, SDN probably represents only a small fraction of WashU interviewees.

Did you guys ever think about this -> looking at MDapps, ~15 people have been accepted. There some people who have been posting in the secondary thread who do not have (or do not link to) MDapps. MDapps and SDN only represent a tiny fraction of the number of applicants/interviewees.

For all we know, WashU has already accepted 2-300 people and we are screwed. Let's hope that's not how it is.

Seriously though, I'll bet they've already accepted 100-150 people and a lot of them just don't get on these threads how we do.

Crap.

I interviewed Nov. 11th. I'm wondering if anyone had an interview after this date and has already heard back from Wash.

Any takers?

and does anyone know about the midwest? I think a few people have been accepted, but only the best of the best (1 exceptional URM, 1 MD/PhD) have gotten in as far as SDN goes. Sadly for me, SDN probably represents only a small fraction of WashU interviewees.

Did you guys ever think about this -> looking at MDapps, ~15 people have been accepted. There some people who have been posting in the secondary thread who do not have (or do not link to) MDapps. MDapps and SDN only represent a tiny fraction of the number of applicants/interviewees.

For all we know, WashU has already accepted 2-300 people and we are screwed. Let's hope that's not how it is.

Seriously though, I'll bet they've already accepted 100-150 people and a lot of them just don't get on these threads how we do.

Crap.

Wow you need to calm down. They said they'd get back to us anytime between now and April--are you really going to be this stressed until April???

Members don't see this ad :)

I doubt it. On the acceptance threads, there are some schools that have a bunch of SDN acceptances reported. Those seem like the schools that would have most of their seats filled already. In addition, SDN seems to be more concentrated with "higher achieving" pre-meds (I can't think of a better way to say it) than an average sampling of the applicant population, so I actually think you probably are hearing from more WashU applicants than you think. Overall, I think that there is nothing to worry about right now.

They still had a few spots left when I interviewed last February. Relax!

I doubt it. On the acceptance threads, there are some schools that have a bunch of SDN acceptances reported. Those seem like the schools that would have most of their seats filled already. In addition, SDN seems to be more concentrated with "higher achieving" pre-meds (I can't think of a better way to say it) than an average sampling of the applicant population, so I actually think you probably are hearing from more WashU applicants than you think. Overall, I think that there is nothing to worry about right now.

I agree. Some of my friends who are also applying this year also interviewed at WashU and haven't heard anything yet. They're incredibly strong applicants, so I think that's a sign that WashU has not sent out that many acceptances yet.

Only 2 people on SDN were accepted mid-November, and 3 more were accepted in mid-December.

There might be others who were accepted and posted on the secondary application thread but not on the acceptance thread. I'm not going to go through it to see if I missed anybody.

Anyway, the bulk of acceptances will probably come later.

Wow you need to calm down. They said they'd get back to us anytime between now and April--are you really going to be this stressed until April???

lol. Yes. Yes I am. It is my last chance. Not that I will get in, but it is the only hope I have for avoiding the WL craziness in May/June, combined with a rapid and stressful move to city X.

I interviewed 10/9 so they've been sitting on my app for almost 3 months. Ugh.

lol. Yes. Yes I am. It is my last chance. Not that I will get in, but it is the only hope I have for avoiding the WL craziness in May/June, combined with a rapid and stressful move to city X.

I interviewed 10/9 so they've been sitting on my app for almost 3 months. Ugh.

Well, I wish you luck then. :)

does anyone know if they've finished sending interview invites out? or how long their interview season is?

unlike other school threads, i haven't seen a lot of "i've been complete for 3 months and i finally got an interview!" but rather "i've interviewed 3 months ago but..." :p

does anyone know if they've finished sending interview invites out? or how long their interview season is?

unlike other school threads, i haven't seen a lot of "i've been complete for 3 months and i finally got an interview!" but rather "i've interviewed 3 months ago but..." :p

They interviewed until the end of February last year, for which an invite was (reportedly) sent to me in Late January. I didn't schedule until 2/1, though, for a date in their last week of interviews.:thumbup:

Is WashU still sending out interview invites or is there no point in sending a letter of interest?

Is WashU still sending out interview invites or is there no point in sending a letter of interest?

just send it man. we don't know if they are still inviting people. don't NOT send it and then regret it later if people get invited in upcoming weeks.

can't hurt.

what are they going to do? throw your app away? i mean, they already haven't invited you so it can only get better :) be an advocate for yourself and tell them if you want to go there. maybe you'll get an invite.

They interviewed until the end of February last year, for which an invite was (reportedly) sent to me in Late January. I didn't schedule until 2/1, though, for a date in their last week of interviews.:thumbup:

If they stop interviewing in February, then it's kind of annoying that they don't make a waitlist until April...

If they stop interviewing in February, then it's kind of annoying that they don't make a waitlist until April...

Oh, don't you worry. I found out about that waitlisting in early March (i.e. 2 weeks).

Oh, don't you worry. I found out about that waitlisting in early March (i.e. 2 weeks).

so what's your story regarding last year? several WL's but no acceptance? that's what I'm afraid of this year.

so what's your story regarding last year? several WL's but no acceptance? that's what I'm afraid of this year.

I think the moral of last year's story is "Don't apply in late November.":laugh: I got a pair of interviews followed by a pair of waitlists.

This year I applied early. I've been to 6 schools (yay!:thumbup:), waitlisted at 3 (c'mooooooooooooooon movement:luck:), and reject at one (gee, thanks:(). Still waiting to hear back from those last two though.:xf::luck:

I think the moral of last year's story is "Don't apply in late November.":laugh: I got a pair of interviews followed by a pair of waitlists.

This year I applied early. I've been to 6 schools (yay!:thumbup:), waitlisted at 3 (c'mooooooooooooooon movement:luck:), and reject at one (gee, thanks:(). Still waiting to hear back from those last two though.:xf::luck:

best of luck to you! i'll hope for some WL movement for both of us :)

...or WashU acceptances, which would be way better!

Ah thanks! Also, when I interviewed, one of the adcoms said there is a scholarship for women with a deadline in February...so they really try to get through the women in time for that deadline. I wonder if that means few males will be accepted this month? I wonder what that means if you're a female who has interviewed and don't get accepted this month. It's always dangerous to speculate, but it's so addictive. :p

Ah thanks! Also, when I interviewed, one of the adcoms said there is a scholarship for women with a deadline in February...so they really try to get through the women in time for that deadline. I wonder if that means few males will be accepted this month? I wonder what that means if you're a female who has interviewed and don't get accepted this month. It's always dangerous to speculate, but it's so addictive. :p
Well, schools are open for business now.... So hopefully we'll find out soon!

Any news? Didn't somebody say there was going to be a committee meeting on the 5th?

I just got an interview invite through email today at around 2 pm. So don't give up!

Just an FYI, a ton of the first year class got in off the waitlist last year. If you are waitlisted and want to get in, make sure that around May 15th you let the admissions office know that you are still interested in coming. In fact, one student called the office on May 16th, told them he really wanted to get off the waitlist, and then 5 minutes later got a call from Dr. Dodson saying he was in.

Also, they definitely still hand out acceptances to students who interview at the end of February. Plus you guys are overestimating the number of people they have accepted so far.

Good Luck & hopefully I will see some of you next year:D

Just an FYI, a ton of the first year class got in off the waitlist last year. If you are waitlisted and want to get in, make sure that around May 15th you let the admissions office know that you are still interested in coming. In fact, one student called the office on May 16th, told them he really wanted to get off the waitlist, and then 5 minutes later got a call from Dr. Dodson saying he was in.

Also, they definitely still hand out acceptances to students who interview at the end of February. Plus you guys are overestimating the number of people they have accepted so far.

Good Luck & hopefully I will see some of you next year:D

Thanks for the info! I hope it's at the very least, a waitlist for me.

does anyone who stayed in Olin Hall know if it's ok to have someone stay there with you? (My husband is making the 7 hour drive to St. Louis with me and we'd really rather not have to book a hotel if its not necessary). Thanks!

does anyone who stayed in Olin Hall know if it's ok to have someone stay there with you? (My husband is making the 7 hour drive to St. Louis with me and we'd really rather not have to book a hotel if its not necessary). Thanks!

I stayed in olin when I interviewed 10/9 and they let my wife and me have a second mattress to put on the floor (no charge). so yep.

Anybody hear any news from WashU this week? I know for a fact that last year some acceptances were sent out during the first week of January. Doesn't seem to be the case this yea, though (at least not on SDN).

Wash U has given out some interviews this week. Complete since June.

Anybody hear any news from WashU this week? I know for a fact that last year some acceptances were sent out during the first week of January. Doesn't seem to be the case this yea, though (at least not on SDN).

It seems like so far, they've been meeting on Thursdays and then sending out acceptances on Fridays/Saturdays so... hopefully there'll be some good news tomorrow or the day after? :xf:

It seems like so far, they've been meeting on Thursdays and then sending out acceptances on Fridays/Saturdays so... hopefully there'll be some good news tomorrow or the day after? :xf:

Friday went by with no news :( You sure they send out acceptances on Saturdays? I feel like there should have been some movement by now!

Friday went by with no news :( You sure they send out acceptances on Saturdays? I feel like there should have been some movement by now!

I've heard of a few people getting status changes on Saturday mornings. Although, it also seems that they've only met once a month so far, at about the middle of the month... so next Thursday is probably more likely based on that pattern. This is all just wild speculation on my part, though, so don't put too much heart into it :laugh:

I don't know if they met yesterday (Jan. 9), but I was told at my interview that the med school adcom is meeting in two weeks from yesterday.

Does anyone know if they are they still granting interviews?

I've heard of a few people getting status changes on Saturday mornings. Although, it also seems that they've only met once a month so far, at about the middle of the month... so next Thursday is probably more likely based on that pattern. This is all just wild speculation on my part, though, so don't put too much heart into it :laugh:

hmm... THE WAITING IS THE WORST PART! Hopefully we'll get some news soon.... like today (yeah right)! or maybe next week!

What does the normal post-interview status page look like? I work at Wash U so I got the friends + family interview invite. It comes by mail, and the interview is scheduled by phone. I never had access to the online interview scheduler.

My point is that my status page looks the same as it looks the day my secondary was marked complete.

Do all of your post-interview status pages have more information? Anyone else that got the friends + family letter have a different looking status page?

What does the normal post-interview status page look like? I work at Wash U so I got the friends + family interview invite. It comes by mail, and the interview is scheduled by phone. I never had access to the online interview scheduler.

My point is that my status page looks the same as it looks the day my secondary was marked complete.

Do all of your post-interview status pages have more information? Anyone else that got the friends + family letter have a different looking status page?
Supposedly there is no change post-interview until you get an acceptance.

How I understand it is that the initial log in screen that says "Welcome to WUMS Apply, <Firstname>" changes to say "Congratulations, <Firstname>" upon an acceptance. No change to the actual "status page"

I'm anxiously awaiting a decision. Come on WashU! I <3 you.

Anyone else reread the disorientation guide? It just gets me more and more excited for the school.

So I hung out with a bunch of M1 and 2s last night, and they have this to say:

SDN, stop being so crazy about WashU and panicking about acceptances. We have the complete list of students accepted, and its only about 1/3 of the usual number.

Status
Not open for further replies.