2008 interns...how did the first month go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just wondering how first month went for everybody...

I can say mine was exciting, stressful, and just overall exhausting! but still a lot of fun. I think wards basically come down to how strong and sincere your senior is...

how was first month for everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, just wondering how first month went for everybody...

I can say mine was exciting, stressful, and just overall exhausting! but still a lot of fun. I think wards basically come down to how strong and sincere your senior is...

how was first month for everyone else?

Well, I haven't killed anyone yet.

Seriously, though, my first month was the same as yours: exciting, stressful, exhausting, but also fun. And yes, if you have a good senior to help you, that makes all the difference. Eventually, though, I'm hoping I won't need the senior so much.

sooooo much easier than my first month last year as an ob resident......can you actually have fun in residency??? ;)

I was on the wards last month, and now for the next three months. All I have to say is if this is as bad as it gets, then bring it on! I can't tell you all the relief I feel going from Ob/Gyn to FP. What a difference!
Wards are all about organization. Keep good cards on your patients, and stay organized. You'll go home earlier this way.

Could have been better for me, however pretty much everything that went wrong was because of bad choices on my part.

I had 2 prematch offers this last match season. One was in an idyllic little midwest town voted something like 20 best places to live in the USA, with average per capita income of about $50K. Great schools. 1 hour from family (brother, sis in law, 5 nieces and nephews) and 5 hours from my parents. The program paid a base of $51K with a matched savings plan. Almost no crime (something like 1 murder in the past decade), great schools, but the program taught basically no procedures.I wanted to learn procedures.

Another prematch offer in a high crime, high poverty area with poor schools. 1400 miles from my wife and kids. Promoted itself as making alot of procedures available, and the program was a big happy family. They actually used the words "big happy family" to describe themselves, and their philosophy for procedures was described as "see one , do one, teach one". I chose to go there, but because of the crappy schools insisted my family stay behind, so my son could finish his senior year. It just did not work out.

Procedures were not easy to obtain. Ex. I had permission from a patient to perform a procedure, approached the hostile attending, who shot it down. First she said it couldn't be done in the hospital, which I proved it could. Then she said i had not watched one yet, which I proved I had. I had watched 2. She then just closed it by saying "these are the type of people to sue you, so I won't let you". Plus if I scheduled it for the procedure office, the senior residents would snake the patients from the interns. I went for procedures, was not going to get them.

I had one great attending, perhaps the best teacher I had ever had. I had one kind of weird attending - good teacher, but at the end of our week together I asked for critique, what I could improve on. Her reply was "I do not think you are a very sincere doctor". There was nothing professional like ; the assessment portion of your SOAP notes is poor, or you need to read up on hyperbilirubinemia or your auscultations skills are poor - just right to the personal level of labeling me as insincere. I am not sure what she meant - I asked her to clarify and she would thereafter just say "Forget I said that". Then I had another attending who was oveertly hostile.

16 years of owning businesses and I would never ever think of talking to an employee the way the hostile attending did. 2 years of teaching public school and never even heard rumors of anyone talking or being spoken to that way. 3 college degrees and I have never known of such an incident. Many years of working menial jobs like Burger King, farm work, restuarants, etc and never known someone like that. She would go from talking pleasantly about her son being drafted to the New York Giants, and then next be yelling loudly about something unavoidable (like the ER failing to inform me a patient had been brought to the floor), or an honest mistake (like when a senior resident called from another service to have me help them admit patients and I went and helped them), to yelling at me because I strayed too far from them (like being 10 feet behind them when they suddenly stormed out of a patients room in anger and I guess i was a little bit slow in following them out the door). I am not a mental health professional and my medical training consisted of a core psyche rotation and 2 psyche electives, but I actually suspicion she was a brittle rapid cycling bipolar. From what I heard she was not as bad as one other doctor (a pulmonologist) who I would have for 4 months of the year. So the worst was yet to come.

Plus my first rotation was on a service that was the busiest. Typically it was the slowest, but for this weird month (what turned out to be my "perfect storm") it was the busiest. I had no senior resident with me ever, and the hostile attending was NEVER on time. We were supposed to meet at 8:30 in the nursery but she sort of showed up whenever. And often, often, if I paged her or called her I was unable to reach her. So most of the day I was alone with these patients.,

So I resigned. Would love to do medicine - probably never will, even if I try to match again. 46 years old, FMG caribbean, going on 3 years post grad, mediocre board scores. But I do not regret my choice of resigning. I regret my choice of residencies. I can't believe I passed by such a great opportunity (the first prematch offer) in order to learn procedures from a place which turns out was misrepresenting itself.

I had the choice of sticking out at least a year in a program with a strong hostile element, not learning what I wanted to learn - what I was giving up years of my life to learn, missing my sons senior year in high school or quitting and going back to either just jobs like teaching or starting my own chiropractic business again.

I really like medicine, really sacrificed alot to get where I got, but was not willing to give up a truly meaningful year for that. Bad choices - in retrospect I probably should have chosen the idyllic setting near family.

Last edited:
Some days I'm having so much fun, then some days it just hits me how much I don't know. Actually, I've been surprised how much I am enjoying intern year. I am a bit tired though!

The first few calls haven't been so bad, it's just sobering sometimes to realize that I'm going to have this call schedule ALL YEAR - you know, not like in med school where you have a crappy schedule for a block then get an easy month or vacation or whatnot.

Also it's been hard to assimilate all the day-to-day intern type learning - how to use the computers, get along with the nurses, read the different attendings, etc. - and still concentrate on improving my physical exam, coming up with a decent A/P, etc. There's just a lot going on!!!

Some days I'm having so much fun, then some days it just hits me how much I don't know. Actually, I've been surprised how much I am enjoying intern year. I am a bit tired though!

The first few calls haven't been so bad, it's just sobering sometimes to realize that I'm going to have this call schedule ALL YEAR - you know, not like in med school where you have a crappy schedule for a block then get an easy month or vacation or whatnot.

Also it's been hard to assimilate all the day-to-day intern type learning - how to use the computers, get along with the nurses, read the different attendings, etc. - and still concentrate on improving my physical exam, coming up with a decent A/P, etc. There's just a lot going on!!!

I am both glad for you and envious of how much you are enjoying it. Can I ask what specialty you matched to, are you AMG and what sort of setting you are in (univ based, univ affiliated, community)?

Enjoying life is important. My experience with medical residency is such that I have really discouraged my son (who wanted to do medicine after observing my medical school experiene) and many high school students I taught and stayed in touch with. My experience, compared with every other field I have worked in is that medical residency is :thumbdown:

I can take being yelled at, and working with people who are sabotaging my best efforts on purpose, its just I won't do it. Life is too damn short. I have had too many crappy years in my life so far, that I am not volunteering for any more. If there is enough money, then the only real choice for me is ; does it make me and my family happy.

Last edited:
I hear you doowai,and understand how you feel .I did have similar feeling and thought during training but I did not quit cuz i knew it's going to be difficult to find another spot.And I was hoping I will have a choice to stay or leave the job or medical field completely.I guess if you like medicine, it may be alittle risky to quit/resign without any back up position waiting. anyway, whatever done is done, goodluck.

Could have been better for me, however pretty much everything that went wrong was because of bad choices on my part.

I had 2 prematch offers this last match season. One was in an idyllic little midwest town voted something like 20 best places to live in the USA, with average per capita income of about $50K. Great schools. 1 hour from family (brother, sis in law, 5 nieces and nephews) and 5 hours from my parents. The program paid a base of $51K with a matched savings plan. Almost no crime (something like 1 murder in the past decade), great schools, but the program taught basically no procedures.I wanted to learn procedures.

Another prematch offer in a high crime, high poverty area with poor schools. 1400 miles from my wife and kids. Promoted itself as making alot of procedures available, and the program was a big happy family. They actually used the words "big happy family" to describe themselves, and their philosophy for procedures was described as "see one , do one, teach one". I chose to go there, but because of the crappy schools insisted my family stay behind, so my son could finish his senior year. It just did not work out.

Procedures were not easy to obtain. Ex. I had permission from a patient to perform a procedure, approached the hostile attending, who shot it down. First she said it couldn't be done in the hospital, which I proved it could. Then she said i had not watched one yet, which I proved I had. I had watched 2. She then just closed it by saying "these are the type of people to sue you, so I won't let you". Plus if I scheduled it for the procedure office, the senior residents would snake the patients from the interns. I went for procedures, was not going to get them.

I had one great attending, perhaps the best teacher I had ever had. I had one kind of weird attending - good teacher, but at the end of our week together I asked for critique, what I could improve on. Her reply was "I do not think you are a very sincere doctor". There was nothing professional like ; the assessment portion of your SOAP notes is poor, or you need to read up on hyperbilirubinemia or your auscultations skills are poor - just right to the personal level of labeling me as insincere. I am not sure what she meant - I asked her to clarify and she would thereafter just say "Forget I said that". Then I had another attending who was oveertly hostile.

16 years of owning businesses and I would never ever think of talking to an employee the way the hostile attending did. 2 years of teaching public school and never even heard rumors of anyone talking or being spoken to that way. 3 college degrees and I have never known of such an incident. Many years of working menial jobs like Burger King, farm work, restuarants, etc and never known someone like that. She would go from talking pleasantly about her son being drafted to the New York Giants, and then next be yelling loudly about something unavoidable (like the ER failing to inform me a patient had been brought to the floor), or an honest mistake (like when a senior resident called from another service to have me help them admit patients and I went and helped them), to yelling at me because I strayed too far from them (like being 10 feet behind them when they suddenly stormed out of a patients room in anger and I guess i was a little bit slow in following them out the door). I am not a mental health professional and my medical training consisted of a core psyche rotation and 2 psyche electives, but I actually suspicion she was a brittle rapid cycling bipolar. From what I heard she was not as bad as one other doctor (a pulmonologist) who I would have for 4 months of the year. So the worst was yet to come.

Plus my first rotation was on a service that was the busiest. Typically it was the slowest, but for this weird month (what turned out to be my "perfect storm") it was the busiest. I had no senior resident with me ever, and the hostile attending was NEVER on time. We were supposed to meet at 8:30 in the nursery but she sort of showed up whenever. And often, often, if I paged her or called her I was unable to reach her. So most of the day I was alone with these patients.,

So I resigned. Would love to do medicine - probably never will, even if I try to match again. 46 years old, FMG caribbean, going on 3 years post grad, mediocre board scores. But I do not regret my choice of resigning. I regret my choice of residencies. I can't believe I passed by such a great opportunity (the first prematch offer) in order to learn procedures from a place which turns out was misrepresenting itself.

I had the choice of sticking out at least a year in a program with a strong hostile element, not learning what I wanted to learn - what I was giving up years of my life to learn, missing my sons senior year in high school or quitting and going back to either just jobs like teaching or starting my own chiropractic business again.

I really like medicine, really sacrificed alot to get where I got, but was not willing to give up a truly meaningful year for that. Bad choices - in retrospect I probably should have chosen the idyllic setting near family.

Family life is the most important but never give up if you have not found another job.

Doowai, I feel for you. I know I interviewed at several programs but I still feel blessed to have ended up where I am. The attendings have been helpful, not malignant, and the senior residents have been kind. I agree that life is too short to spend years being voluntarily tortured.

I'm in family medicine at a community based program. I am AMG but we have several IMGs too. It's actually in a fairly small town, not prestigous really, but I feel that the atmosphere is one I can truly learn in.

We did get a lateral transfer and I don't know what kind of program she came from, but she has already done some back-stabbing, talking down to nurses, and been 'academically dishonest' you might say. She has been under pressure from all quarters to discontinue this behavior, and it is improving. I can only assume her former program fostered these attitudes.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

For me, it has been really tough. I'm in a program that has mostly AMGs and many of the residents did med school there, so I think they were expecting everybody to be familiar with the system. I know it's so immature to wish for someone to hold my hand and guide me through the process, but I just feel it would be waaay more efficient if a senior could just show us how to enter orders in the computer, what forms need to be filled out, what is needed in endorsements, instead of constant trial and error ... I have never felt this embarassed over my performance--'m totally out of my element.

I speak excellent english and yet I find it so hard to grasp the lingo. Someone told me, "Get a clot." And I'm like---why in tarnation hell would I want to get dried blood? :laugh:

I'm fnding it really difficult to fit in. I hate myself for being so intimidated by everyone. One nurse said, "We don't do that in America," and I felt really small. I think the turning point was when a med student shouted at me and told me to go get my own computer (because he's soooo busy reading up-to-date--what the hell?! i would never have imagined doing this to a resident back home. all i tell myself is this guy is paying a ton to be a med student, i shall be compassionate...but if looks could kill, he'd be GCS 3). Self-confidence down the drain, but I'm working to build it up. Sometimes it helps to fantasize that someday I'll be some hotshot awesome MD and people back here would go, "hey, who knew?!" :laugh: Yeah, I do what I can to cope. Quitting isn't an option for me just because at the end of the day, I still want my advance program. I just want to finish internship, and hopefully feel a little more at home here in the US of the A--enough to actually not regret applying here. Yeah, that's my gameplan right now.

I speak excellent english and yet I find it so hard to grasp the lingo. Someone told me, "Get a clot." And I'm like---why in tarnation hell would I want to get dried blood? :laugh:

I don't know what that means either.:confused:

I'm fnding it really difficult to fit in. I hate myself for being so intimidated by everyone. One nurse said, "We don't do that in America," and I felt really small

I'm not sure what you did that was seen as un-American, but I'm sure she was the small one, not you.

I think the turning point was when a med student shouted at me and told me to go get my own computer (because he's soooo busy reading up-to-date--what the hell?! i would never have imagined doing this to a resident back home.

Its pretty unimaginable here too. Are you sure he knew you were a resident? If so, I would be tempted to tell him that a little respect would go a long way and if not, his evaluation might be a tad less honorable than he had hoped for.

I'm a prelim medicine intern.

Internship is going very well. I just finished a month of ICU. Talk about a learning curve! The attendings are all very nice. The head ICU doc is absolutely brilliant and is a big reason why so many categorical residents pursue critical care fellowships. Call was q4 overnight during ICU. Not bad considering there is NO OVERNIGHT CALL for the rest of the year!

The ICU nurses have been amazingly nice. I've become buddy-buddy with many of them. The residents are very nice and the overall atmosphere of the program is VERY benign.

I'm doing a month of radiology/holiday this month so it's been REALLY nice. On my first day, the neuro-rads attendings tells me "you can come and go as you please...just show up sometimes." So I go in around 9-10am, eat lunch at noon and read (lightly) for Step 3 in the afternoons. I needed this break after ICU month!

The rest of the year includes a month of EM (1pm-9pm shift, except Fridays 9am-5pm) and 6 months of wards (7am-5pm) with q4 call but you only stay until 7pm when you're "on call" then you GO HOME (no overnight!) and of course, 2 more elective months.

Lunch is provided everyday at noon conference, you also get meal tickets and $1000 book/PDA/phone fund.

Honestly, I could not have asked for a better experience so far. I'm very happy I came here and can't wait to move back to Philly for residency!

I think the turning point was when a med student shouted at me and told me to go get my own computer (because he's soooo busy reading up-to-date--what the hell?! i would never have imagined doing this to a resident back home

Wait a minute, why are you letting a med student push you around? They're even lower on the medical hierarchy than you. I generally try to be nice to med students, but if one of them pulled that kind of crap with me, I would do one of two things:

1.) Give the student a crappy evaluation if the student was mine and I was responsible for the eval.

2.) Discuss what happened with the student's senior or whomever is responsible for this student's evaluation.

Like I said, I have no problem with med students in general, and I'm nice to them provided they are polite, eager to learn, and put forth their best efforts. But you can't let a med student get away with shouting at you like that. They need to know their place.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

Thanks.

For me, it has been really tough. I'm in a program that has mostly AMGs and many of the residents did med school there, so I think they were expecting everybody to be familiar with the system. I know it's so immature to wish for someone to hold my hand and guide me through the process, but I just feel it would be waaay more efficient if a senior could just show us how to enter orders in the computer, what forms need to be filled out, what is needed in endorsements, instead of constant trial and error ... I have never felt this embarassed over my performance--'m totally out of my element.

Self-confidence down the drain, but I'm working to build it up. .

I did all of my rotations here in the USA, an even then, I felt out of my element in the hospital - having no senior with me. I had to ask where everything is : uhm, can you show me where progress notes are kept? Uhm, can you show me where the ophthalmoscope is? uhm, my log in for the computer is not working, could you log me into the computer so I could check test results? Uhm, what button do you push for "hold" when doing phone dictation? Where do we shred documents on this floor? Where is the 3 hole punch? etc etc etc.

That and being yelled at by one of the attendings in front of nurses over everything from not staying shoulder to shoulder with them when they walked out of a room to not knowing someone had been admitted too my floor made me feel small too. I am sure you are doing better than it feels, and if not screw 'em. You will catch on to all that stuff quickly, and by month 3 looking like a pro (a "pro" is a good thing in US of A lingo). Damaged self esteem sucks - I have been embarrassed plenty of times in my life years ago, and just won't stand for public humiliation any more if I have any say over it.

Stick with it. Don't let the IMG thing get to you. My 3 year old nephew is/was technically an illegal Mexican immigrant until my brother adopted him. Where I was doing residency there was alot of Mexican immigrants, and often I had to stop people where I lived or where I worked mid-sentence to let them know about my nephew. There wouldn't be much to this country if it was not for people immigrating in.

Call was q4 overnight during ICU. Not bad considering there is NO OVERNIGHT CALL for the rest of the year!

The ICU nurses have been amazingly nice. I've become buddy-buddy with many of them. The residents are very nice and the overall atmosphere of the program is VERY benign.

I'm doing a month of radiology/holiday this month so it's been REALLY nice. On my first day, the neuro-rads attendings tells me "you can come and go as you please...just show up sometimes." So I go in around 9-10am, eat lunch at noon and read (lightly) for Step 3 in the afternoons. I needed this break after ICU month!

The rest of the year includes a month of EM (1pm-9pm shift, except Fridays 9am-5pm) and 6 months of wards (7am-5pm) with q4 call but you only stay until 7pm when you're "on call" then you GO HOME (no overnight!) and of course, 2 more elective months.

Lunch is provided everyday at noon conference, you also get meal tickets and $1000 book/PDA/phone fund.

Honestly, I could not have asked for a better experience so far. I'm very happy I came here and can't wait to move back to Philly for residency!

Wow I am happy for you, but I am envious as hell and salivating.

ONE MONTH of overnight call?!?!?!?! How do they manage that?

And call until 7??? Wow, that is just a short day shift I think for most FMG/IMG residencies. How can that be called "call"? Who goes home at 7? Seriously..... are any FMG/IMG in this sort of residency?

And call until 7??? Wow, that is just a short day shift I think for most FMG/IMG residencies. How can that be called "call"? Who goes home at 7? Seriously..... are any FMG/IMG in this sort of residency?

He's an Ophtho resident.

Correction, there are TWO months of ICU.

Everything else is as I stated..:D

He's an Ophtho resident.

What does that have to do with anything! :laugh:

They don't cut me any slack b/c I'm going into ophtho.

Correction, there are TWO months of ICU.

Everything else is as I stated..:D

What does that have to do with anything! :laugh:

They don't cut me any slack b/c I'm going into ophtho.

I'm jess sayin'...

you probably got yourself a cushy TY or Prelim year filled with non-call months. Can't have the Ophtho guy traumatized by call!:p

Besides, I think I know where you're at...nice place. I interviewed for a job there.

Where I was, with all its problems, had pretty easy over night call. Basically 3 a month (1/10). But coming in at 4 or 5 AM and leaving at 9 PM was fairly common. The hours were not much of a problem, but it does sound like there are indeed some nice residencies out there. Maybe I just have heard/read of them less because people in them have little to say.

Well, apparently in our institution, they call type and crossmatch as a "clot" (Seriously, that's what you type on the computer). And of course I had no idea that was how it was.

As for the med student incident, I believe I was too shocked to react. Flabbergasted. My coat's pretty long so I don't think there's any doubt that I'm a resident.

The un-american thing I did was ask for a regular syringe for blood draws. I have no idea how to use that butterfly.

It's just hard to run around unfamiliar territory. I'm not really complaining because I knew it would be hard. I guess I just want to acknowledge that it is hard. Doowai--I know exactly what you're saying. I believe I asked the very same questions too! Hahaha! Even stuff like--where's the nearest restroom? how do i get out of this building? There are people who help though and I appreciate that very much.

So first month down...11 to go! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

Well, apparently in our institution, they call type and crossmatch as a "clot" (Seriously, that's what you type on the computer). And of course I had no idea that was how it was.

Nor should you. That is clearly a term specific to that hospital. In most places its called and Type and Cross or T&C.

As for the med student incident, I believe I was too shocked to react. Flabbergasted. My coat's pretty long so I don't think there's any doubt that I'm a resident.
:laugh:

In case you haven't noticed, in the US, *everyone* and their mother wears a long coat. The nurses, the physical therapists, the respiratory therapists, hell, probably even the janitor. I'll bet he thought you were a nurse. Or maybe he was just an arse.

The un-american thing I did was ask for a regular syringe for blood draws. I have no idea how to use that butterfly.

Well, that's just dumb...(the nurse, not you). You can take blood any darn way you want. I'm sure they have syringes and needles instead of the butterflies (I too learned with a regular syringe and needle, but I had a nice nurse when I was an intern who showed me how to use the butterfly). I'm sorry she gave you a hard time.

It's just hard to run around unfamiliar territory. I'm not really complaining because I knew it would be hard. I guess I just want to acknowledge that it is hard. Doowai--I know exactly what you're saying. I believe I asked the very same questions too! Hahaha! Even stuff like--where's the nearest restroom? how do i get out of this building? There are people who help though and I appreciate that very much.

So first month down...11 to go! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way as I start to work at different hospitals (I have privileges at several). I never know where anything is, what forms I have to fill out to admit or discharge someone, who anyone is. So it never ends, you'll continue to be the new guy at several stages in your life.

Haha...I believe that did make me feel a bit better :)
Good luck newbies! :luck:

That may be the dumbest thing that I've ever heard. I've taken blood with both, multiple times, as a US med student. Maybe your nurse didn't know how to use a regular syringe ;).

tell her that in America the nurses handle the blood draws and not the doctors

First month opinion:

I hate repeating myself in notes. I hate patients who dont know anything about their medications. I wish we had some sort of a universal medical record.

First month was LAME. I found myself on an "experimental" in-pt service, which I think will be dropped soon from the curriculum. On one hand it was nice because I was able to pick up the system at the Uni Hospital at my own pace, but seeing only a patient or two every day without any attending exposure put me behind the learning curve. I did round with a few of the other services and help out in the afternoon when some of my fellow interns had clinic. I also got to take my fair share of naps in the library.

Now this second month . . . much better. I'm at the Spa, and our management of primary diagnosis is so conservative, with all of the services we MUST consult, we make sure you get a pneumonia (no need to thank us)

Gomers truly do not die, they do just go to ground - I think there is a concerted effort by the universe to make sure I never get to discharge and then when I do I'll have the added bonus of a gnarly d/c summary . . . I guess I should get an ID consult tomorrow . . .

In case you haven't noticed, in the US, *everyone* and their mother wears a long coat. The nurses, the physical therapists, the respiratory therapists, hell, probably even the janitor. I'll bet he thought you were a nurse. Or maybe he was just an arse.

This is the most annoying thing in hospitals -- I absolutely HATE that everyone wears long white coats. Our hospital has a policy that certain people must wear white coats, including nurse managers, infection control nurses, nurse educators, and a few others. Thankfully, most of them choose to wear mid-length white coats.

I also find it amusing to look at how people wear their white coats. Some of the residents will only button one button in the middle, while others button every single button (that looks ridiculous, IMO), and others wear it as if it is a cape.

This is the most annoying thing in hospitals -- I absolutely HATE that everyone wears long white coats. Our hospital has a policy that certain people must wear white coats, including nurse managers, infection control nurses, nurse educators, and a few others. Thankfully, most of them choose to wear mid-length white coats.

I also find it amusing to look at how people wear their white coats. Some of the residents will only button one button in the middle, while others button every single button (that looks ridiculous, IMO), and others wear it as if it is a cape.

Why? That's the professional thing to do.

Um, pretty much everywhere I've been, we draw into a syringe, and then transfer into tubes, especially if we have just started a line, since you only stick the patient once, instead of twice. Although those were all in the NYC area, I believe that was still America.

My first month and a half of intership haven't actually been that bad. I ended up matching to a place that was known to be a "hard" internship, so I expected the worst. And it's even tougher this year, because the medicine months are understaffed. But I just finished a month of IM that was quoted to me by a PGY-2 as his hardest, and I got through just fine, but glad its over. Now I'm in the ICU, and while its stressful, and a 12 hour day can be over before you know it while you're thinking to yourself "I got nothing accomplished today" but it also has me considering critical care medicine (but, I think i'll just stay the the ER). And yes, I pretty much put in 80 hours a week, or close to it, but it doesn't seem like that long until I count them up (we log our hours). I put in 17 two days ago because two people coded like 5 minutes before sign out, and actually coded multiple times (yes, some do pull through a code) so I didn't leave until almost midnight. It's like patients know when we are trying to leave.

What I have realized though, is that I would never trade this for anything. As a student, I used to piss and moan about long hours, or having to write up H&Ps or progress notes, feeling as if I were being scutted out. Now I realize how much that stuff helps the interns and residents, while they are busy having every nurse, attending, and service in the hospital paging them, dumping BS admits from the ER on them, or asking them what is going on with their patient that you haven't seen and got a crappy signout on because of everything else that is going on. But, when you step back and tell yourself "the patient comes first, and everything else comes 2nd" its actually ok. You can't make everyone happy, and nurses will get irritated, attendings will yell, and the ER will send up unstable patients that crash on you within 30 seconds of the ER staff leaving the ICU. That's not going to change, and you have to find a way to cope with that, and I think that's the secret to surviving internship (Although, a cush prelim with food and 1000 stipend helps)

Now, Doowai, I am very sorry to hear that you resigned. I hope that you are able to go home and be with your family, and seeing your son graduate highschool will give you the satisfaction you need to be able to give residency another try. Maybe you can give it another try at the place you prematched that was close to home. Just remember, no program is what it sells itself to be, and every program has it's attendings that belittle everyone under them. But, I think that's any job. My girlfriend is a teacher, and she has to deal with Principals and APs that pull that crap too, so if you never experienced similar situations while you taught, I'm amazed. I too, had to ask where everything was, and how to do admits/discharges/orders. In NY, you have to stamp everthing, but not here. My first week, my students were showing me how to do everything. Had to swallow my pride on that one. I realized, there are minor differences from hospital to hospital, even within the same program. You just have to do your best to get acclimated. And yes, your best may not be acceptable to some people, but then again, nothing is to them.

And Buckley, if that were my med student, he would have been doing rectals on every admission the rest of the month.

Oh yeah, the white coat thing bothers me too. But then again, I only wear my coat because my scrubs only have 2 pockets. If our scrub machine gave out cargo scrubs, I would probably leave my coat at home.

Last edited: