2008 Navy OIS Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Founder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching archives so please don't get mad for my posting this.

I was wondering if anyone knows the dates for 2008 OIS, specifically this summer? I want to get it done this summer but I cant find anything on the OIS web page or anything. I've searched through their FAQ multiple times, gone to Navy training sites, Google searched it, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've been searching archives so please don't get mad for my posting this.

I was wondering if anyone knows the dates for 2008 OIS, specifically this summer? I want to get it done this summer but I cant find anything on the OIS web page or anything. I've searched through their FAQ multiple times, gone to Navy training sites, Google searched it, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Did you ask OH at [email protected]?

No, I didn't. Thanks I will email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case anyone else is wondering, this is the reply I got:

The following information will be on the new website regarding ODS. I
hope it is helpful for you.

ODS is designed to provide newly commissioned Navy officers with the
basic information required to understand Naval culture. It is designed
to help create future Navy leaders who support the fleet. Ideally, the
first annual training undergone by an HPSP or FAP participant is ODS.
ODS is physically located in Newport, Rhode Island and lasts for 5
weeks. For more information about ODS go to the website located at
https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/ .

The dates for ODS in 2008 are as follows:
* 04 Feb 08 - 07 Mar 08
* 10 Mar 08 - 11 Apr 08
* 14 Apr 08 - 16 May 08
* 19 May 08 - 20 Jun 08
* 23 Jun 08 - 25 Jul 08
* 28 Jul 08 - 29 Aug 08

Seats are limited. The earlier that you apply for a seat increases your
chances of being approved for the desired date. The minimum amount of
time required to apply for a seat is thirty days prior to the desired
date. The earlier you contact Accessions for a seat, the likelier you
are to get the class you desire.

Applying for ODS:
* To begin your application process, you must first log on to the
NROWS link, https://nows.cnrf.navy.mil/nrows/.
* The following should be selected for "Operational Support
Codes".
* Support category: select Operational.
* Mission category: select Joint/Unified.
* Individual Development: select Professional Development.
* Funding category: select "HPIP Funding".
* For further questions involving your orders application, please
visit the NROWS Student Application User Guide at
http://nrows.raytheonpns.com.
Ensure that you have a current Annual Verification Form and HIV on file.
Your HIV must be within 2 year and your Annual Verification Form must be
within 1 year from the date of your application.

June to July looks good, IMO (only one I could do in summer, so I guess it has to, LOL).
Is this some cake walk like I've heard or has it gotten "tougher" (like they can call you names now! :eek: ;)

From what I have heard and seen on websites, it has gotten much tougher and is literally a bootcamp with more baby powder. First week or so is a lot of yelling and can be challenging but most begin to enjoy the training after that.

sorry but their website has not been working for the past few months. hmmm...

I went through last July. The experience depends on who your Chief is. There is a new Cpt. running the program that is a little tougher than the past. Also, Newport is now the home of several other OC programs starting over this winter. So things are going to be MUCH tougher. It's not USMC boot( I went through San Diego MCRD back in the day) but it was challenging at times. I think they will be turning up the heat even more this round of OIS. The other programs there are VERY serious, so expect to be watched...dont look like idiots. They are serious line officers and will be all over you.

So here's the lowdown...
Learn to run a 10 min mile(for at least 2 miles) or less before you get there. be able to do 40+ situps and push ups in 2 min before you get there. That is a minimum really. I had people show up way less than that and they suffered... They are going to get you out on the field in front of King Hall in the blazing heat and work you out for an hour or two in the middle of the day (or send you back to the pit). If you don't have a basic level of fitness the heat and tempo is gonna make your life suck. You'll end up puking a lot or get injured/sick. They aren't looking to kill you. Just show up there ready to work, and show good effort and they won't hurt you. Screw around and act lazy/unmotivated and you will pay... You don't want to go to the pit. We went there 3 times. THAT... is like USMC boot camp. They will be running you through a PFT when you get there, so be ready to roll. Dont expect to be able to get up to speed when you arrive.. you'll suffer

Other things...

Cozy cab sucks, don't even bother. Wait for other OIS folkss and share a taxi. Most will give you a flat rate.

Don't talk or screw around at chow. You'll notice it's silent. Don’t talk during in line or during meals until they say you can. And don't watch TV while eating or screw around. It's a sure fire way to visit the pit. I can tell you that from experience. They will be watching you.

You have computer based classes. Dont put them off till the last minute. I did and it sucked.

Don't buy 2 sets of everything. The uniform reimbursement is lower than what they will tell you...beware... Do buy extra socks(white and good black) and tshirts. You can get stuff after the first week at the Exchange. Bring enough stuff to get you though that first week. You dont need much cash, but bring a hundred or two to pay your share of chow

Clean your room a little every day. Dont just wait till inspections. If you do it every day, it's no problem. get lazy and you'll pay during inspection (another awesome way to go to the pit)

Now here is the moneyshot. DO NOT do anything that will make your Chief look bad... like screwing around and talking, or doing something stupid while a senior officer is there. You are officers and your behavior reflects on them. Make them look stupid and you will suffer...seriously... The Pit isn't the only way they can screw your life up. Just go with the program and you'll be fine. This isn't USMC boot. BUT, they do take it seriously. There are several other officer candidate programs living there. Everyone knows who you are and who your Chief is, so don't make them look bad, or else...

Ohh, and look to the prior military for guidance on protocol and simple crap like shoe shines and rack making

Have fun. Make sure you go to Newport as much as you can, and do the bars and the Cliff Walk.

I went through last July. The experience depends on who your Chief is. There is a new Cpt. running the program that is a little tougher than the past. Also, Newport is now the home of several other OC programs starting over this winter. So things are going to be MUCH tougher. It's not USMC boot( I went through San Diego MCRD back in the day) but it was challenging at times. I think they will be turning up the heat even more this round of OIS. The other programs there are VERY serious, so expect to be watched...dont look like idiots. They are serious line officers and will be all over you.

Ohh, and look to the prior military for guidance on protocol and simple crap like shoe shines and rack making

Have fun. Make sure you go to Newport as much as you can, and do the bars and the Cliff Walk.

I can't believe you left the best part of the Newport experience out. The thousands of huge geese that seem to have a refuge on the base. Ah, I miss those early mornings doing 8-count bodybuilders, push-ups, and flutter kicks in mountains of geese turds! I always tried to find a spot to PT that wasn't covered in goose sh#t, and failed. Are they still there? I mean to return one day with a nice 12 gauge and take a few of the big ones home with me. A little payback for the messed up PT gear! :D

The thousands of huge geese that seem to have a refuge on the base. Ah, I miss those early mornings doing 8-count bodybuilders, push-ups, and flutter kicks in mountains of geese turds! I always tried to find a spot to PT that wasn't covered in goose sh#t, and failed.

Wow, that sounds even worse than Pensacola where we were trying to find a sticker free spot to PT on the parade deck. I didn't even know what a "goat head" was until I was trying to scrape them out of my body. Starting during the sixth week we were allowed to PT wearing gloves so at least we weren't pulling thorns out of our hands anymore - a reward for passing inspection. :D

I can't believe you left the best part of the Newport experience out. The thousands of huge geese that seem to have a refuge on the base. Ah, I miss those early mornings doing 8-count bodybuilders, push-ups, and flutter kicks in mountains of geese turds! I always tried to find a spot to PT that wasn't covered in goose sh#t, and failed. Are they still there? I mean to return one day with a nice 12 gauge and take a few of the big ones home with me. A little payback for the messed up PT gear! :D

Ahhhh yes the Geese... still have some of that nasty stuff on my running shoes I'm sure. Nothing like plopping down for a pushup and landing in 4inch long nasty green turd.

And that leads me to another (should be) obvious thing. DONT FARK WITH THE GEESE... they are protected on base and have right of way (and they know it)

And you probably wont need an alarm. Damn psycho seagulls woke me up 30min before my alarm everyday. Do bring a laptop or something small to play music on. Do not use it until they say you can.

Ohh before I forget. learn how to work with your roommate. Yes you will have one. Learn how to make a rack together and dust/clean together asap. We had a little drill we did every day as far as rack and mini cleaning session. Took a few min, and aced every inspection. I think we actually put in 1/4 the time of other people. Even if you think they are a prick, learn to get along and work together. Other than working out, that's the best piece of advice I can give you.

You'll have a good time. Just work hard. You'll meet cool people. I met a dental guy that goes to my university. small world. We're really good friends now. Newport can be fun, so enjoy your time there.

Okay I am signing up for Navy HPSP and was wondering what the difference is between OIS and ODS(sp?) do I go through both one or the other what the fark? Thanks for any feedback.

Okay I am signing up for Navy HPSP and was wondering what the difference is between OIS and ODS(sp?) do I go through both one or the other what the fark? Thanks for any feedback.

ODS replaced OIS this year. I'm not real sure about the substantive changes other than the fact that in addition to doctors, dentists, etc., warrant officers also go through ODS.

It is just a name change. They are the same thing (OIS and ODS) but they probably consolidated a couple of training classes and needed a fresh new name to go with the program. So they are calling it ODS now. I think I saw this site earlier on here but check it out.

https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ODS/index.htm