2008 Ortho Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OG1

OrthoGunner #1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ready? Go!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I matched at MONTEFIORE!!! So excited and thankful!!! Congratulations to everyone:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan, GO BLUE!

:)

Got into St. Barnabas. I'm so grateful someone believed in me.

just curious how many (and which) programs didn't fill all their spots... didn't that happen to San antonio last year that they didn't fill any of theri spots? How the heck is that even possible with ortho?

Does anyone have a list of 2008 post match positions available for ortho?

NEW YORK STATE UNIV OF NEW YORK - BUFFALO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE DEPARTMENT OF ORTHODONTICS 140 SQUIRE HALL BUFFALO NY 14214 Telephone: (716) 829-2845 Director: DR. C B PRESTON Program: ORTH-3 YR Code: 6724 Openings: 3

Can this be true....3 unfilled positions in Buffalo....AGAIN?

Congrats to all those that matched...good luck.

bob arm

Louisville!!!! Couldn't be happier!! :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Has someone that called Buffalo for postmatch heard something back?? What's the protocol in these cases?

NEW YORK STATE UNIV OF NEW YORK - BUFFALO SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE DEPARTMENT OF ORTHODONTICS 140 SQUIRE HALL BUFFALO NY 14214 Telephone: (716) 829-2845 Director: DR. C B PRESTON Program: ORTH-3 YR Code: 6724 Openings: 3
That's insane - I really enjoyed Buffalo and would be very happy there. I think they just interview too few people . . .

That's insane - I really enjoyed Buffalo and would be very happy there. I think they just interview too few people . . .

I think they rank too few people... If they ranked more than 10 the past few years I would be surprised. For a program to only match 1/4 of its positions is not going to help them in the future either.

Does anyone have the stats with how many people applied and how many matched from this year?

Matched to Columbia... Can those who also matched to columbia message me.

congratulations to the matched applicants - being an orthodontic resident is great, and being an orthodontist is even better :D

Congratulations! I hope to be in your shoes next year at this time. I don't suppose anyone would like to post their stats, or what they would attribute their acceptance to. Any insight would be much appreciated, especially regarding scores with the new Part I format and what is now considered competitive.

I don't suppose anyone would like to post their stats, or what they would attribute their acceptance to. Any insight would be much appreciated, especially regarding scores with the new Part I format and what is now considered competitive.

Agreed. :thumbup:

I heard there were only about 450 applicants this year.

No need to speculate. Just go to the match website, click on the "Results" section and look at the "Statistics" section on there. You'll get all kinds of stats.

http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/

There were 494 applicants who entered the match, and 252 successfully matched while 242 did not match. However, keep in mind that the 252 number of accepted applicants does not include those who accept positions at non-match programs. These days there are about 50 positions available outside of the match at non-match programs. Otherwise, the match statistics look very consistent with the stats I've seen over the past 6 years.

Congrats to those who matched. To the others, if this is what you really want, don't give up and try again.

After seeing the potential number of unmatched students... here are some suggestions

1: have a copy of your applications/grades/scores/ and recommendations ready to send to a program.

2: look at post-match open programs - i.e. Buffalo, this year - call them, fax (will be unofficial) the packet you had together (see #1)

3: Look for alternatives: an AEGD? a GPR? a special grad program in special needs/disabilities? pvt practice? - many grad programs would like to see additional educational experience.

4: Once you make up your mind - pursue it... even though it is late. Many GPRs, AEGDs will also have post match opens. Several non-match programs, like ours, generally keep a stop open until after the match. So look at PASS programs as well.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE, just take a little time, relax, and enjoy life long learning and the best you can be...

If I can help any one, just let me know: by -email, or cell.

Congrats again to those who got into programs.

first trys did not have my phone #s will try again ... sorry for the repeats

After seeing the potential number of unmatched students... here are some suggestions

1: have a copy of your applications/grades/scores/ and recommendations ready to send to a program.

2: look at post-match open programs - i.e. Buffalo, this year - call them, fax (will be unofficial) the packet you had together (see #1)

3: Look for alternatives: an AEGD? a GPR? a special grad program in special needs/disabilities? pvt practice? - many grad programs would like to see additional educational experience.

4: Once you make up your mind - pursue it... even though it is late. Many GPRs, AEGDs will also have post match opens. Several non-match programs, like ours, generally keep a stop open until after the match. So look at PASS programs as well.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE, just take a little time, relax, and enjoy life long learning and the best you can be...

If I can help any one, just let me know: by -email, or cell.

Congrats again to those who got into programs.

Robert N. Arm, DMD
Vice Chair, Dept. of Oral&Maxillofacial Surgery and Hospital Dentistry
Program Director, General Practice Dentistry Residency Program
Christiana Care Health Services
Wilmington Hospital
Wilmington, DE 19801
(302) 428-6468
(302) 428-4814(fax)
cell - (302) 530-6788
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:
I believe Buffalo didn't match 2 spots two years ago, 1 spot last year, and now THREE this year. I was wondering what was going on, so I called someone who was a resident in Buffalo not too long ago. So, the info isn't from a primary source, but it's all I've got at the moment.

This person told me he heard the director only ranked a few students (under 10). This is insane, even for the most competitive school on the planet. They probably should have ranked 15-25. Buffalo is a good program from what I've gathered, but why would you gamble with less than 10 on your rank list? Insane. You're literallly begging to have open spots.

Further, my source said that the director has gotten increasingly frustrated with the Match recently. I wonder why. In fact, I was told they may abandon the Match next year and join the ranks of non-Match schools. This way, they can pick from the pool of applicants before the match day and not continue this current streak. A streak like this is kinda embarrassing. Indeed, 3 in a row may be a record.

I just don't get the director. Does he not understand how the Match works? It's not rocket science. Did he want to have empty spots so his post-Match rage would leave nobody to question his decision to leave the Match forever? That last question doesn't make sense either, though. If he's wanted to ditch the Match, why not abandon before another round of open spots?

Most everybody else seems to do fine with the Match, despite its occasional screwiness. It gets the job done most efficiently by offending the fewest people possible.