**2008 Pedo Match Results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here when you find out!

Name:
Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:

Members don't see this ad.

Specialty/Where: Pediatric Dentistry / Miami Children's Hospital
Dental School Attended: UCLA / Program for international dentists
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
Match/Non-Match:Match

Specialty/Where: Lutheran Medical Center - Providence, RI
Dental School Attended: Boston University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (hopefully)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/havent taken pt II yet
Class Ranking: 7/112
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: Boston Medical Center, private practices
Research: non dental at Beth Israel in Boston
Extracurriculars:lots of volunteering, Special Olympics, a few school club officerships

Whoever else is gonna be in Providence, PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Name: Jude
Specialty/Where: Pedo/Temple University-Episcopal and Nova (but I declined Nova to stay in the Match)
Dental School Attended: Nova Southeastern
Match/Non-Match: Temple Match and Nova Non-Match
Externship(s)/where: VCU, OHSU, Miami Children's, and Temple
Research: Pit and Fissure sealant studies using glass ionomer (two publications)
Extracurriculars: 2 mission trips, pedo clubs, ASDA, volunteering at outreach pedo clinic

Name: Taylor
Specialty/Where: Children's Hosp. - Cincinnati
Dental School Attended: Pacific
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008?
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89/havent taken pt II yet
Class Ranking: 5/139
Externship(s)/where: Children's Hosp. of CO
Research: pediatric related, in progress
Extracurriculars:the usual

Specialty/Where: Pedo/ U of Minnesota
Dental School Attended: U of Michigan
NBDE Part I/II scores: 83/?
Class Ranking: top half
Externship(s)/where: 1 week each at Ohio State, VCU, Primary Childrens, and at Denver Childrens
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Various Pedo dental clinics, Operation Smile trip to Philipines

Specialty/Where: VCU/Medical College of Virginia (my number 1!)
Dental School Attended: U. Oklahoma
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91/?
Class Ranking: top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 1 week each at Rochester, and VCU
Research: 1 yr Pediatric Medicaid Research and Access to Care
Extracurriculars: Lots

I love this program!

If anyone matches at a Program in or around Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, I just matched at Temple for Pedo and am selling my house that is close to Nova Dental School. Let me know and I'll get you more info: [email protected]

Thanks and Congrats,
Jude

Congrats everyone! just out of curiosity did any programs not fill their spots?

Specialty/Where: pedo/Jacobi Medical Center (my #1)
Dental School Attended: NYU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2003
NBDE Part I/II scores: 87/81
Class Ranking: top 1/3
Externship(s)/where: nope
Research: nope
Extracurriculars: 2 years work, a ton of CE, volunteering with special olympics, lecturing etc

I love my life !!!

Here's what it says on the rolic system:

HOWARD UNIVERSITY Openings: 1
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO Openings: 1
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY Openings: 1
BOSTON UNIVERSITY-GOLDMAN SCHOOL Openings: 2
LUTHERAN MEDICAL CENTER BROOKLYN, NY Openings: 2 ANCHORAGE, AK Openings: 1
CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY Openings: 1

Specialty/Where: Pedo / Tennessee
Dental School Attended: VCU
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/
Class Ranking: Top 25%
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: 2 projects
Extracurriculars: plenty

Anybody know what's going on with the UCLA San Diego pediatric dental residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at RCHSD and we don't even know what's going on. If anybody knows anything please let us all know.

Name: T. Lam
Specialty/Where: Pediatrics/Tennessee
Year Earned DMD/DDS: DDS 2006
NBDE Part I/II scores:88/84
Class Ranking: top 10%
Match/Non-Match: Matched
Externship(s)/where: 2 years private practice
Research: predoc
Extracurriculars: step 5, give kids a smile, community outreach NY,

For RCH do you know what kind of scores and applicants they are looking for?

Specialty/Where: Cincinnati
Dental School Attended: ASDOH
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (hopefully)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 93/who cares? (haven't taken it yet)
Class Ranking: 10/54
Externship(s)/where: Cincinnati, Baylor, Primary Children's
Research: Heck No
Extracurriculars: Tons of Pedo Stuff

Name: Dr.BadVibes
Specialty/Where: UCLA Pediatric Dentistry
Dental School Attended: Temple University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (hopefully!)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 86/??
Class Ranking: 78/112 (yah Im dumb)
Externship(s)/where: Temple, Lutheran
Research: nothing published yet
Extracurriculars: typical pedo stuff, ASDA

phew...glad I saved the money and didnt pay for an expensive Ivy League school to get into an amazing specialty program

:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

Here's what it says on the rolic system:

HOWARD UNIVERSITY Openings: 1
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO Openings: 1
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY Openings: 1
BOSTON UNIVERSITY-GOLDMAN SCHOOL Openings: 2
LUTHERAN MEDICAL CENTER BROOKLYN, NY Openings: 2 ANCHORAGE, AK Openings: 1
CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY Openings: 1
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY Openings: 1 NO STIPEND

Hey guys, I just talked to the Chief Resident at VCU and another resident and there is NOT an opening at VCU for a non stipend position. They are just taking the four stipend spots. I just wanted to tell whoever did not match so they can focus on the other open positions. Good luck to all!

Name: Jude
Specialty/Where: Pedo/Temple University-Episcopal and Nova (but I declined Nova to stay in the Match)
Dental School Attended: Nova Southeastern
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (if I can get some SRP comps done)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 84/? (still havn't taken it)
Class Ranking: bottom third (but a winning personality)
Match/Non-Match: Temple Match and Nova Non-Match
Externship(s)/where: VCU, OHSU, Miami Children's, Temple, Lutheran Rhode Island (site visit)
Research: Pit and Fissure sealant studies using glass ionomer (two publications)
Extracurriculars: 2 mission trips, pedo clubs, ASDA, tons of hours volunteering at outreach pedo clinic, and basically anything else I could do to get an edge on those top academic applicants

Hey guys, I just talked to the Chief Resident at VCU and another resident and there is NOT an opening at VCU for a non stipend position. They are just taking the four stipend spots. I just wanted to tell whoever did not match so they can focus on the other open positions. Good luck to all!
Thanks Austin1, I was just going with what the Rolic system said. I'll remove VCU from my post.

Thanks Austin1, I was just going with what the Rolic system said. I'll remove VCU from my post.

Hey no big deal at all man. I am just trying to help everyone focus on the programs that have the openings. I am just relaying what I heard. Good luck to everyone!!!

Matched at UCLA! :thumbup:
Name: Shana
DDS: Pacific (UOP) '08
Not going to get specific with stats.
Research: Pedo related, to be published and presented at CDA and CSPD
Extracurricular: Lots of leadership positions in various clubs and organizations.

Matched my #1

Name:
Specialty/Where:U of Maryland
Dental School Attended:USC
Year Earned DMD/DDS:2006
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:GPA 4.0
Externship(s)/where:N/A
Research:2
Extracurriculars:3-4

Name: Dr.BadVibes
Specialty/Where: UCLA Pediatric Dentistry
Dental School Attended: Temple University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (hopefully!)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 86/??
Class Ranking: 78/112 (yah Im dumb)
Externship(s)/where: Temple, Lutheran
Research: nothing published yet
Extracurriculars: typical pedo stuff, ASDA

phew...glad I saved the money and didnt pay for an expensive Ivy League school to get into an amazing specialty program

:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:
See you there!

Matched my #1

Name:
Specialty/Where:U of Maryland
Dental School Attended:USC
Year Earned DMD/DDS:2006
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:GPA 4.0
Externship(s)/where:N/A
Research:2
Extracurriculars:3-4

Maryland was such an amazing program!!! Good Luck with Dr.Easton....she is super cool, incredibly smart and friendly and she is really easy on the eyes :p

Whats up with the lack of posts? 2500 views and still on the first page? Cmon people....u should post your stats and results, cause its very helpful to future applicants. I remember looking at last years results thread a lot, so I know what those future applicants are feeling.....

Specialty/Where: Pedo/Baylor
Dental School Attended: UCLA
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (if those last two partials come through)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/studying right now
Class Ranking: our school doesn't rank
Externship(s)/where: Baylor
Research: Post-op IV sedation study and pedo OHI study
Extracurriculars: Community pedo clinics/school government/snowboarding

Whats up with the lack of posts? 2500 views and still on the first page? Cmon people....u should post your stats and results, cause its very helpful to future applicants. I remember looking at last years results thread a lot, so I know what those future applicants are feeling.....

I couldn't agree more. If anything this thread helps everyone see the differences in what programs are looking for in an applicant. I would have applied to half as many programs and saved tons of time and money if I had checked the stats from SDN last year.

What are some common interview questions that are asked on pedo interviews?

I am looking to apply next yr and really concerned that by board scores arent up to par. I studied for them as hardest I couldnt but I am just not a good test taker. To those who got it, any suggestions? should i retake boards? what are some tips?

Board Score: 75 (cut it close)
GPA: 3.05

I really want to do this, but not sure even if i retook boards if i could do better.

I am looking to apply next yr and really concerned that by board scores arent up to par. I studied for them as hardest I couldnt but I am just not a good test taker. To those who got it, any suggestions? should i retake boards? what are some tips?

I really want to do this, but not sure even if i retook boards if i could do better.

Im gonna be honest. You need to retake boards. At most programs numbers are what get you in the door. Pedo is getting more competative by the year as are a lot of the specialties. At most of my interviews all of the applicants were awesome people too. I think you need to study harder and at least shoot for the mid eighties and hope for a ninety. Sorry. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but you seem like you really want to do this so go for it. You can do it, I promise. Good luck.

If you know your not a good test taker, then i wouldn't bother taking part 1 over again. I would concentrate on your pedo extracurriculars, such as externships, research, volunteer work etc. You can also do either a GPR, or a special patient care fellowship which will help out your application. Realistically with a part 1 score that low, your going to need to blow them away with your resume and the rest of your application to get interviews. The rest then depends on you. Good luck.:thumbup:

You definitely need to retake the boards.......the fact that you think you wont do better shows that you lack confidence and thats not something you want.

Honestly, in my opinion, to get a decent score in the 80s on the boards is achievable for anyone who can get through 4 years of dental school.....to get a high 80s-90s score might be tough for many people, but to get a mid to low-80s score is completely possible for anyone.

suck it up and take it again......

Specialty/Where: St. Barnabas Hospital
Dental School Attended: UOP
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2006
Class Ranking: Don't know! I had my rank blacked out every quarter
Externship(s)/where: Boston University
Research: periodontal disease
Extracurriculars: Delta Sigma Delta, Pedo Club, I currently work with a pediatric dentist

I agree, you should retake it. We all know that grades and board scores don't make a great pediatric dentist, but more and more people apply every year, and the programs have to have away to weed through all the applications. The easiest way to do that is Class rank and Board scores. Some programs won't even look at the extra curriculars with a board score below a set level, and that level seems to be going up every year. I would say matching with a score below 85 or so would be a rarity in the future. But by retaking the exam you will show your dedication and desire to enter the field, and that will count for a lot. You can do it!

Specialty/Where: University of Rochester/ Eastman
Dental School Attended: THE Ohio State University
NBDE Part I/II scores: 92/86
Class Ranking: 17/105
Externship(s)/where: Cincinnati, Baylor
Research: 2 projects
Extracurriculars: ASDA, Pedo stuff, sports

I would really work on making your resume look as good as possible with research, externships, community service, etc. If you really feel you are not a strong standardized test taker I wouldn't risk taking it again and (worst-case scenario) not pass this go around. You might try applying to an AEGD first, and then apply to pedo, or work for a year or two and apply. There is a current resident at our school who did just that. She graduated in 2005 and applied after working. There are definitely ways to overshadow a low board score and GPA, you just have to go about it the right way, and apply to the programs that will give you a shot.

Extracurriculars: 2 years work, a ton of CE, volunteering with special olympics, lecturing etc

I love my life !!!

Glad that you've got it this year. :thumbup: I remember reading your posts last year. Did you change your essay? What do you feel you did right this time?

Congratulations!

I love my life !!!

CONGRATULATIONS ! I just noticed this was you ... I am not sure why, but I'm so happy it worked out for you, after turning down that pre-match spot ! :thumbup:

I love my life !!!

Good Luck at Jacobi!! I was sad not to get an interview there, because I want to work with a lot of special needs patients and be involved in special needs advocacy and I was told your director Dr.Dougherty was one of the major leaders in the field......congrats!!!

I don't know what I did different this year, but I did change my essay, and I committed myself to volunteering, continuing ed, and anything else pedo. It was sheer determination over the past year. I risked a lot giving up a non-match spot, but thank god it worked out for the best.
DrBadVibes: I am absolutely thrilled to be a Jacobi resident. Special Patients are something that is close to my heart and I could not be happier then to work with Dr.D. Sometime this spring, I believe there is going to be a Special Patient care mini-residency in Rhode Island. I went to the pedo one last year, and it was very good. If you're interested, PM me and I'll cntact you as soon as I hear something. Tanks for all your good wishes, I wish you the best as well.

Congrats to you too and all the people who matched. I wish the best for all the other people who are trying to get into Pedo!

Maryland was such an amazing program!!! Good Luck with Dr.Easton....she is super cool, incredibly smart and friendly and she is really easy on the eyes :p

Sorry for the delay ...... busy busy busy

Specialty/Where: pedo/UCSF
Dental School Attended: UCSF
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88/
Class Ranking: NONE
Externship(s)/where: San Antonio, two in SF, Browning MT
Research: METHMOUTH
Extracurriculars: TONS!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!! We've now made it behind the velvet curtain.

Name: JT
Specialty/Where: Pedo/Temple
Dental School Attended: The Ohio State University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2004
NBDE Part I/II scores: 86/can't remember part II
Class Ranking: top third
Externship(s)/where: GPR (VA Denver), private practive at pediatric office
Research: none
Extracurriculars: all the usual

Congrats DrBadVibes3 on getting into the CHAT program at UCLA! I loved the program while interviewing. I'm sure we met on interview day. The taxi ride and drivers were interesting eh? UCLA was my second choice ONLY because of proximity, or lack there of, to family. Oh yeah, you're going to be working with Dr. Ramos-Gomez as he's coming down from UCSF as your new director at the Venice program. Congrats again! Look forward to meeting with you again at meetings.

Cheers,
Paul

Good Luck at Jacobi!! I was sad not to get an interview there, because I want to work with a lot of special needs patients and be involved in special needs advocacy and I was told your director Dr.Dougherty was one of the major leaders in the field......congrats!!!

Hey...... is this you Paul? If so, congrats! I'm still working on the "French drop" with the coin you taught me at the UCLA interview!
Keep in touch.
Paul

Specialty/Where: Pedo/Baylor
Dental School Attended: UCLA
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (if those last two partials come through)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/studying right now
Class Ranking: our school doesn't rank
Externship(s)/where: Baylor
Research: Post-op IV sedation study and pedo OHI study
Extracurriculars: Community pedo clinics/school government/snowboarding

Specialty/Where: Pedo/Ohio State University
Dental School Attended: University of Iowa
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/94
Class Ranking: 6/74