2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Another question. I know there was some discussion about this before but I am not clear on this.

"I understand that I must request a letter from the Dean of Students or Registrar at my undergraduate college stating that I was a student in good standing."

As a post bacc, I graduated and earned baccalaureate degrees all this is on my transcript. Are they referring to my main undergraduate college or my current one?
spacer.gif
This school requests something from the dean? i don't remember reading something about that..

Members don't see this ad.

This school requests something from the dean? i don't remember reading something about that..

Yeah, they do. I had forgotten about it too. But we had to tell them which Dean they should expect a letter from on our secondary (go back and check.)

It's from you UG institution, not post-bac. And it has to be sent via the AMCAS letter service. I just had this done about a week ago.

Yeah, they do. I had forgotten about it too. But we had to tell them which Dean they should expect a letter from on our secondary (go back and check.)

It's from you UG institution, not post-bac. And it has to be sent via the AMCAS letter service. I just had this done about a week ago.

Oh okay. Thanks, I believe it is only for post-bac students correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to AECOM rather late. For those with a committee letter, how many of you added additional letters of recommendation? I wonder if this will improve my chances, but I do not think I have time to wait for them.

Einstein Invite this morning! For those interested:

Secondary Submitted 7/2
Application Complete 7/29

Einstein Invite this morning! For those interested:

Secondary Submitted 7/2
Application Complete 7/29

congrats truebelief :) wow they seem to be back in july.. you gave me a little hope there :thumbup:

congrats truebelief :) wow they seem to be back in july.. you gave me a little hope there :thumbup:
i was complete same as u remember!! so there is hope. besdies you have 2 awesome interviews coming up :)

Seems like quite a few people are worrying about interview invites.

Don't worry when you actually interview, decisions are not released until January. Quite a few people get interviews late in the process (we go until April in fact!) so it's still early in the game. Good luck and feel free to PM if anyone has Einstein queries

Cheers

I just called to ask if I was complete and the lady said they still have thousands to go through for anyone wondering!

I submitted in 9/11 just for reference!

AH interview invite! complete 8/18! love love love the school and the facilities, very excited!

Since AE doesn't make decisions until January, does this mean that early interviews (i.e. September) do not play any role in the decision. For example, I interviewed in September. Do I have the same chance of acceptance as someone who interviews in December? Do they tend to interview people they are very interested early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 09/01. Invite 10/19!

Since AE doesn't make decisions until January, does this mean that early interviews (i.e. September) do not play any role in the decision. For example, I interviewed in September. Do I have the same chance of acceptance as someone who interviews in December? Do they tend to interview people they are very interested early?

my guess would be that it doesnt make too much difference when you interview. i would think the reasoning behind not accepting until january would be so they can see most of the applicants and decide how we stack up. im not sure or anything though, so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in:)

is anybody else interviewing tomorrow and spending the night with a student? i need a dinner buddy...or just a buddy in general.

Not sure the exact answer, but in general, I think that there is no real advantage to a September vs a December interview at Einstein. Einstein is a semi-roller (halfway between rolling and non-rolling), I guess, as opposed to schools that start accepting people Oct 15. At rolling schools, the early interview can make a huge difference in chances.

Does anybody else feel like they're interviewing for a spot on the waitlist? :/

uh...

How could they have already filled all of their spots already? They still interview until at least March so I hope for their sake that people aren't interviewing for waitlist spots in October.

So this school does send out complete emails right? I was complete 9/5 and haven't received one yet. Is this normal for this school? Or have I not received a complete email because they don't send them?

you are most definitely not interviewing for a spot on the waitlist! no acceptances have gone out yet, so i'm not even sure why you got this impression. i would assume that pretty much everyone who interviews before january has an equal shot, since that's when they start accepting people.

How is the interview here? Relaxed? This will be my first interview of 6 and I am a little nervous.

How is the interview here? Relaxed? This will be my first interview of 6 and I am a little nervous.

SUPER relaxed. seriously, everyone in my interview group said that their interviews were conversational and very chill. don't be nervous; you'll do fine. check out SDN's interview feedback. it helped me prepare.

theyre not all relaxed...

i don't wanna scare you, but prep for some hard questions just in case
You'll need to do this for other schools anyway. Prep for general healthcare questions, and the common ethical situations. I was asked numerous times (not at AECOM) "tell me about an ethical situation, and describe how you would deal with it." It's a little strange when they tell you to ask your own question.

I had an interview here today. I was really really impressed with the school! I wasn't really expecting to like it for some reason, but now I'm not sure whether I'd go here over Tufts or not.
As for the interview, it was reasonably relaxed, but he did ask me some kind of hard questions. It was with a psychiatrist, and I got the feeling he was kind of psychoanalyzing me the whole time. Asked me stuff about why I thought some doctors were arrogant, whether I was closer with my mother or father, among other kind odd things. I think it went well though.

I had an interview here today. I was really really impressed with the school! I wasn't really expecting to like it for some reason, but now I'm not sure whether I'd go here over Tufts or not.
As for the interview, it was reasonably relaxed, but he did ask me some kind of hard questions. It was with a psychiatrist, and I got the feeling he was kind of psychoanalyzing me the whole time. Asked me stuff about why I thought some doctors were arrogant, whether I was closer with my mother or father, among other kind odd things. I think it went well though.

Ha! that was probably the same guy I had. We ended up talking about my parents' divorce, drug abuse in my family, really personal stuff...but i think it went really well and I really enjoyed AECOM.

what the hell. I submitetd this secondary 8/28. I got their complete email this morning. I thought i had been complete all along..

what the hell. I submitetd this secondary 8/28. I got their complete email this morning. I thought i had been complete all along..

Haha. Never assume if you're complete, unless you're applying to a few schools that don't send out complete e-mails. They usually take a month after you submit your secondary to file you as complete.

Haha. Never assume if you're complete, unless you're applying to a few schools that don't send out complete e-mails. They usually take a month after you submit your secondary to file you as complete.

Since I submitted really early my complete was within a week :)

Didn't help when I got my interview though.

Man, I submitted on 9/15, so it's gonna be 3 more weeks before I'm even complete eh?

Woah. Submitted back in July, and just got an interview.

Yeah. Submitted in mid-July, complete August 4th. I thought I was done for, but I guess they came around!

I just wanted to say that I interviewed at Einstein earlier this month and the students there are absolutely AWESOME! They help each other out so much and it's really not a competitive atmosphere at all, which is something I really look for in med schools. Good luck to everyone interviewing and still waiting to hear back :luck: It's just too bad I have to wait til January to hear back, I wanna know already :p

Same here.
I was surprised to hear complete note few weeks after I finished secondary.
This means I have to wait longer till their decision to whether interview me or not.

hey guys,
I'm interviewing tomorrow at Einstein and was wondering if there is a place for me to put my suitcase and backpack at Einstein for the day while I walk around for the tour and go to my interview. Also is it tough to get a cab from Einstein to LaGuardia at like 4pm? Thanks.

hey guys,
I'm interviewing tomorrow at Einstein and was wondering if there is a place for me to put my suitcase and backpack at Einstein for the day while I walk around for the tour and go to my interview. Also is it tough to get a cab from Einstein to LaGuardia at like 4pm? Thanks.

Yes. The admissions office will hold on to your bags for you during the day. And no, it's never hard to get a cab to LaGuardia, just have the admissions office call one for you.

hey guys,

not tough to get a cab. but a word of warning, even in a cab, the traffic is horrendous. took almost 2 hours to get from manhattan to laguardia, what normally should be less than 20 mins

not tough to get a cab. but a word of warning, even in a cab, the traffic is horrendous. took almost 2 hours to get from manhattan to laguardia, what normally should be less than 20 mins

Einstein's in eastern Bronx tho, closer to LaGuardia than Manhattan, I think.

I got my complete application email 10/22. Looks like I have a while to wait.

Has anyone been able to check their status post-interview (being reviewed by committee, decision made, etc)? I interviewed back in mid-september and am getting kinda anxious about not knowing what's going on. I know final decisions aren't sent til January, but just wondering if anyone has gotten a status update.

Has anyone been able to check their status post-interview (being reviewed by committee, decision made, etc)? I interviewed back in mid-september and am getting kinda anxious about not knowing what's going on. I know final decisions aren't sent til January, but just wondering if anyone has gotten a status update.

What kind of status update are you expecting?

I think Jan 15 (actually a few days later for snail mail) is the next time you will hear anything from AECOM...I am in the same boat.

I submitted beginning of sept and still has not gotten a complete yet, is that normal? should I start calling?

Submitted mid to late August (but I didn't send them the Dean's letter -- i'm a post bac -- until three weeks ago.) I just got the complete email, and they specifically ask you to please not call the admissions office for status updates.

I hope one of you guys gets my interview spot. I just withdrew today cuz of money issues. I really wanted to see this school too, Jacobi sounds awesome. Good luck to all!

Soooo I had no idea that there was a requirement for a Dean's Letter if you are a post-bac. How does one qualify as a post-bac? Simply having graduated from undergrad already? I graduated in 2008 and have been doing a research fellowship since...so should I have sent in a Dean's Letter?

Soooo I had no idea that there was a requirement for a Dean's Letter if you are a post-bac. How does one qualify as a post-bac? Simply having graduated from undergrad already? I graduated in 2008 and have been doing a research fellowship since...so should I have sent in a Dean's Letter?

If you took classes after graduating from college, you are a post bacc.

When you filled in the secondary, the questions would have led you to this, and you would have had to input the name of the person at your undergrad who will be writing the "good standing" letter on your behalf.

If you took classes after graduating from college, you are a post bacc.

When you filled in the secondary, the questions would have led you to this, and you would have had to input the name of the person at your undergrad who will be writing the "good standing" letter on your behalf.

Okay thanks I don't have to worry about it as I have not taken classes since I graduated. I wonder why it is taking them so long to complete my application then...? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.