2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured my first post ever on SDN should be a positive one. Good news for people with stats like mine, who typically see 3.9s and 38s and freak out for the entire interview season.

GPA 3.54
MCAT 30Q (10 10 10)

Maybe I'll make an mdapps someday. Maybe. Don't push me. Or do. Actually, that sounds fun. Push me.

when were you complete? I have the same stats as you..no invite yet

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how heavily AE weighs the MCAT? I had my interview back in September, but I keep thinking that I'll be waitlisted/rejected because my MCAT score is like 5-6 points below their average. My GPA is above the average though. Maybe some of you can check out my mdapps and give me some honest opinions of what you think will happen based on my application as a whole, keeping in mind what AE usually looks for. My interview went really well too, so it's basically my MCAT score that's giving me some doubt. I appreciate any comments!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how heavily AE weighs the MCAT? I had my interview back in September, but I keep thinking that I'll be waitlisted/rejected because my MCAT score is like 5-6 points below their average. My GPA is above the average though. Maybe some of you can check out my mdapps and give me some honest opinions of what you think will happen based on my application as a whole, keeping in mind what AE usually looks for. My interview went really well too, so it's basically my MCAT score that's giving me some doubt. I appreciate any comments!

Not sure why they would have interviewed you if your MCAT wasn't acceptable to them, but I think your concern is reasonable.

Problem with AECOM is that they interview, what, 1500 people and ultimately make offers to 500 to fill the class, so all else being equal, none of us has better than a 1 in 3 chance at this school, so who knows how MCAT and GPA play into the final decision?

Good luck.

Does anyone know about AE's policy regarding Fall transcripts. Is it mandatory to send transcripts to them? If so (or if it is highly recommended), should I send it before decisions are made in mid-January, or wait til after I am informed of the decision?

So, apparently I have two options.

1) Train from Newark to Penn Station, walk to 42nd street to get on S Shuttle to Grand Central, Grand Central to 5, get off at 180th and take the Morris town bus

2) Train from Newark to Penn, walk to 24th street and madison avenue, take express bus to AE (the BxM-10 -- Morris Park Avenue).

Which way do you guys think is the best? Also, I heard the Morris town bus is a long, windy little blighter...would a taxi from that subway stop be very expensive?

Thank you so much!
Steph

1) Train from Newark to Penn Station, walk to 42nd street to get on S Shuttle to Grand Central, Grand Central to 5, get off at 180th and take the Morris town bus

2) Train from Newark to Penn, walk to 24th street and madison avenue, take express bus to AE (the BxM-10 -- Morris Park Avenue).

Which way do you guys think is the best? Also, I heard the Morris town bus is a long, windy little blighter...would a taxi from that subway stop be very expensive?

Thank you so much!
Steph

hmm, normally I'd advise against the bus, but this might be one of the situations where itd prob be the best move

the subways are dingy, humid, and hot..not the greatest condition for wearing formal wear on the way to an interview

the bus and subway would likely take the same time (but as a side note, instead of walking to times square, you could take the 2 to 149th-grand councourse and switch to the 5 from there)

taxi would likely cost $35-40 with tip

hmm, normally I'd advise against the bus, but this might be one of the situations where itd prob be the best move

the subways are dingy, humid, and hot..not the greatest condition for wearing formal wear on the way to an interview

the bus and subway would likely take the same time (but as a side note, instead of walking to times square, you could take the 2 to 149th-grand councourse and switch to the 5 from there)

taxi would likely cost $35-40 with tip

:rolleyes::rolleyes: this is not 1937. the subways are air conditioned in the summer (overly so, IMO), heated in the winter, and not really dingy... unless you're a squeamish out-of-towner :p

how would you explain the gazillions of people (myself included) who take the train to work in nice clothes every day?

trust me, the subway is FINE in a suit. i've done it for 5 interviews and survived to tell the tale.

Thank you so much!
Steph

option (1) is better, IMO. the BxM buses are more expensive.

also, there is no need for you to walk no matter which option you choose. from penn station, you can take the 2 train to west farms sq and get on the Bx21. i live off the 2 train and this is how i got there-- much shorter and easier than i expected.

if you choose to take the express bus, don't walk through midtown to grand central. take the 1, 2, or 3 train up to times square and then take the S to grand central. trust me, walking that long distance through midtown will be an annoying waste of time. (but this is why i'd go my way if i were you-- fewest train transfers, etc.)

g'luck!

Thank you so much!
Steph

So i flew into newark for my interview also and i took the BxM10 bus on the way to einstein and then took the Bx21 bus (to West Farms Square/Tremont) and 2 train on the way back to Penn...if you are traveling at night i suggest taking the BxM10 bus to minimize making a change at night in Bronx since it isnt the safest place...if you are traveling during the day the Bx21/2 train route is the most convenient since it minimizes walking and also cuz Penn Station has a stop inside of it for the Brooklyn bound 2 train (southbound)...o and im assuming ur going to be taking NJ transit to Penn from newark

So i flew into newark for my interview also and i took the BxM10 bus on the way to einstein and then took the Bx21 bus (to West Farms Square/Tremont) and 2 train on the way back to Penn...if you are traveling at night i suggest taking the BxM10 bus to minimize making a change at night in Bronx since it isnt the safest place...if you are traveling during the day the Bx21/2 train route is the most convenient since it minimizes walking and also cuz Penn Station has a stop inside of it for the Brooklyn bound 2 train (southbound)...o and im assuming ur going to be taking NJ transit to Penn from newark

do NOT get on the brooklyn bound 2 train! you're going to the bronx-- get on the bronx-bound 2 train. north, not south.

i think this thread has about 100000 posts by me correcting non-new yorkers who try to give transit directions :laugh:
this is why im just going to break down and get a taxi lol...any idea about how expensive a taxi would be from LGA to AECOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
do NOT get on the brooklyn bound 2 train! you're going to the bronx-- get on the bronx-bound 2 train. north, not south.

i actually know the NYC subways very welll...i was talkn about the return trip back to Penn from Einstein... I know Bronx is North and Brooklyn is South of Manhattan on the train system

this is why im just going to break down and get a taxi lol...any idea about how expensive a taxi would be from LGA to AECOM?

I took a bronx taxi from AECOM to LGA and it was $43 I think; basically $50 with the tip. I think those cars are a little more expensive than the NYC Taxis so maybe it would be a little bit less.

did you guys get an email saying you're complete? I submitted over a month ago and have heard nothing.

I send mine in sept and am still not complete aka have recieved the completed email. Should I do something?
Can someone post the "complete" email so we can see what it looks like?

I send mine in sept and am still not complete aka have recieved the completed email. Should I do something?
Can someone post the "complete" email so we can see what it looks like?

We are happy to inform you that your application to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

If you have applied to the combined M.D./Ph.D. Program, you will be contacted directly by that Office.

If your application is favorably reviewed during a preliminary screening, you will be invited for an interview via email. We would appreciate your not calling the office to ascertain the disposition of your folder.

We thank you again for your interest in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and wish you much success.

Carol Barcia
Admissions Coordinator
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, New York 10461

We are happy to inform you that your application to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

If you have applied to the combined M.D./Ph.D. Program, you will be contacted directly by that Office.

If your application is favorably reviewed during a preliminary screening, you will be invited for an interview via email. We would appreciate your not calling the office to ascertain the disposition of your folder.

We thank you again for your interest in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and wish you much success.

i've been complete for so long now that im sooo tempted to do this :shifty: ;)

Anyone have details about AE cirriculum? I know they have lecture and on their website it says some small group work, anyone know approx. how much hours of each per day?

emmmm i was complete late aug/early sept. anything from then ?

emmmm i was complete late aug/early sept. anything from then ?

Received an invite couple days ago and will be interviewing in early January. Seems like they schedule interviews two months in advance. I was complete in late September.

Received an invite couple days ago and will be interviewing in early January. Seems like they schedule interviews two months in advance. I was complete in late September.

Man, I was complete about a month after....

I really want to visit NY. It would be a nice break from mountainous Colorado.

I took a bronx taxi from AECOM to LGA and it was $43 I think; basically $50 with the tip. I think those cars are a little more expensive than the NYC Taxis so maybe it would be a little bit less.

Most of the major taxi companies have a flat fee of about 25 dollars to the major airports JFK and LGA. But most other companies (ones that only use meters) will not have this.

Interview invite!!

EDIT: Sorry, complete 10/5

This is my second interview invite. Stoked!!!

Last edited:
when were u complete?

I submitted in early-midsept and am now just complete. This has got to be the slowest school ever.

Do Einstein's interviews start later in the day if you have an afternoon interview? Just wanted to double check bc every interview i've been on so far starts between 8-9am. Here is the quote from my scheduling email and I just wanted to make sure i'm not missing something.

"Please be here by 11:45 for a 2:00 interview"

Yes, if you have an afternoon interview you will show up at 11:45am and go get lunch with the current students. Then you'll go on a tour of the school, and finally you will go on your interview. Just remember to call the office of admissions the day before to double-check your interview time (like they instruct you to in the interview info they send you), because they switched me from an afternoon to a morning interview. Thankfully, they called me to let me know a few days in advance so everything was fine but just a heads-up.

Does Einstein accept in-the-area emails or is it looked upon negatively?

Yes, if you have an afternoon interview you will show up at 11:45am and go get lunch with the current students. Then you'll go on a tour of the school, and finally you will go on your interview. Just remember to call the office of admissions the day before to double-check your interview time (like they instruct you to in the interview info they send you), because they switched me from an afternoon to a morning interview. Thankfully, they called me to let me know a few days in advance so everything was fine but just a heads-up.

Thanks for your help!! :thumbup:

Does Einstein accept in-the-area emails or is it looked upon negatively?

It worked for me. I got an interview at Mt. Sinai and I sent AE an in-the-area email, and I got an interview the next morning. It can't hurt.

I completed on 11/13 and got an invite on 11/25....very impressed with the efficiency of their committee.

So how was the interview like??

I completed on 11/13 and got an invite on 11/25....very impressed with the efficiency of their committee.
:laugh::laugh:

When did you submit your secondary? It took 2 months for them to mark me complete. It also took them about 4 weeks to send the secondary to me.

if my gpa is a 3.1 and mcat not really within their standards why are they requesting an additional letter of recc for me to complete my file. the admissions lady told me that my file has been complete for the longest time and they cant do anything until they get this last letter in. i had anticipated a rejection from this school, but why need a letter before they can do that?

:laugh::laugh:

When did you submit your secondary? It took 2 months for them to mark me complete. It also took them about 4 weeks to send the secondary to me.

i also had a surprisingly fast secondary submission --> complete --> interview invite timeline at AECOM. i feel really lucky since i know that's a rare experience :laugh:

i also had a surprisingly fast secondary submission --> complete --> interview invite timeline at AECOM. i feel really lucky since i know that's a rare experience :laugh:

me too, I got the complete e-mail the day after I submitted and the invite ~2 weeks later I think. I just assumed it was because I applied earlier in the cycle so they didn't have so many apps to go through yet but later I realized that people who applied before me got complete after me so maybe I just got really lucky.

i know this has been asked in a lot of different threads, but i do feel like it varies by region, sooo:

how far is too far for an in the area? i'll be in pitt next month and according to google it's a ~6 hour car trip. sounds far to me but then again, i have to take a 8 hour plane trip to even get to the east coast! any advice? thank you :)

Did anyone else get an invite to an international dinner on Dec 3rd? It seems interesting, but also just weird b/c I haven't been offered an interview invite! Just curious what people who haven't interviewed thought about this...

yea you submitted like the first day tho, i submitted 9/15 and i'm still not complete yet

Other than those people who had the quick interview offers (lucky bast***s :)) it looks like the lag time b/w complete and interview invite has been 6 or 7 weeks. Does that seem right to everyone?

In other words: come on AECOM!

Just had my interview today. Totally love the school. I was concerned considering there were about 15-20 other interviewees (that is an accurate estimation!). I wish everybody can get into a medical school after they interview you :(

Just had my interview today. Totally love the school. I was concerned considering there were about 15-20 other interviewees (that is an accurate estimation!). I wish everybody can get into a medical school after they interview you :(

Had mine today too it was surprisingly good. I didn't know what to expect but aecom has a lot to offer and i was very impressed. Hope we hear good news in Jan. Too bad they interview like 1300. The Chances post interview don't seem good

Had mine today too it was surprisingly good.

haha really? I figured there was at least 1 other SDNer in that large group of interviews. don't think i remember anybody named elijah though!

Had mine today too it was surprisingly good. I didn't know what to expect but aecom has a lot to offer and i was very impressed. Hope we hear good news in Jan. Too bad they interview like 1300. The Chances post interview don't seem good

they also accept way more than the number in the class though... i forget the exact number, but i remember it being relatively large. :xf:

haha really? I figured there was at least 1 other SDNer in that large group of interviews. don't think i remember anybody named elijah though!

That's probably because my name isn't Elijah lol. Good luck though:)

they also accept way more than the number in the class though... i forget the exact number, but i remember it being relatively large. :xf:

In 2008 they accepted 521 people for a class of 180

Status
Not open for further replies.