2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if the wait list at einstien has started moving yet? it seems like they are still giving out regular decisions

Members don't see this ad.

Bronx, NY 2 AM 6/11/2010

Zrs8k.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the wait list at einstien has started moving yet? it seems like they are still giving out regular decisions

I called AE the other day and they said that they have not even started looking into the waitlist. I was waitlisted in Jan. (interviewed Oct) and they said that I probably won't hear anything back until post mid-July. Yes some more hand-wringing awaits...

Rejected post-interview...oh well! I am going to Drexel, however! Good luck everyone!

waitlisted :(

interviewed: 3/22

This is what I don't understand about Einstein. Why in the world are they waitlisting people in late JUNE! It just seems like a silly process on their part. You guys should have gotten that decision months ago.

for those still keeping track, i received the favorable interest email last wednesday....fingers are crossed:xf:

Just received the acceptance email!!

I:4/30 HF:6/16 A:6/22
(HF=highly favorable email)

...best of luck to those still waiting:soexcited:

Anyone interviewed in mid-Feb and haven't heard back? I interviewed on Feb 19 and still no news. Called them yesterday and they asked me to call back on either Thursday or Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear about any waitlist movement here? last year it began in early june. what's the story?

I interviewed on March 22, got the favorably considered email on 6/9, accepted on 6/22. The time between the 9th and the 22nd was horrible, but I'm so glad that I'm in! For those who haven't heard back yet or are on the wait list, good luck!!

For those of you who are WL and want to go here, are you sending emails/calling periodically like they say on their website? Just wondering because I don't want to have to call every week bothering them.

For those of you who are WL and want to go here, are you sending emails/calling periodically like they say on their website? Just wondering because I don't want to have to call every week bothering them.

i actually just called the adm office and asked them that- i emailed them three times that they are my top choice, but the lady told me that I should continue emailing them this info....

Does anyone know the layout for the Einstein housing? I know there are 27 floors, but how is each floor organized? A friend of mine just got his housing assignment and he is in "26H". Do you guys think that means 26th floor, room H?

Does anyone know the layout for the Einstein housing? I know there are 27 floors, but how is each floor organized? A friend of mine just got his housing assignment and he is in "26H". Do you guys think that means 26th floor, room H?

There are 2 housing units. The Lowe housing and the Rhynelander housing. Lowe has 3 buildings: 1925, 1935, and 1945. Each has 28 floors and 2 elevators. Most apartments on the 28th floor are penthouses and have roof access. The letter represents the room on the specific floor and I think that there are about 10 apartments on each floor. Rhynelander housing is more for residents and families.

There are 2 housing units. The Lowe housing and the Rhynelander housing. Lowe has 3 buildings: 1925, 1935, and 1945. Each has 28 floors and 2 elevators. Most apartments on the 28th floor are penthouses and have roof access. The letter represents the room on the specific floor and I think that there are about 10 apartments on each floor. Rhynelander housing is more for residents and families.

Thanks Stephanication, very insightful.

tjquinn, is your friend in the MSTP or biochem prep program? i handed in my housing forms months ago and still haven't gotten an assignment. the housing office told me it might take until the end of july to get an assignment bc those programs get priority over ppl starting w orientation on aug 16......

No he is not, and neither am I. I just received my housing assignment in the mail as well. I submitted my application the day I received it. Also, I am not enrolled for the biochemistry course.

I also got my housing assignment a long time ago (begining of May). Some students got theirs quickly, i think the rest are going to have to wait until July.

has anyone recieved an interest email and NOT been accepted?

does anyone know if the 2014 entering class is full yet?

There are only 143 people on the facebook group for the class of 2014, so I doubt that the class is full as of yet.

I wouldn't gauge whether or not Einstein has filled the class by facebook group numbers alone. I personally know a few people who don't have facebook but are matriculating at Einstein this year.

Hello,
I am about to be a junior in Saint Peter's College. I am a bio major and I really want to get into AECOM. I have above a 3.5 GPA but my chem grades weren't too great so I plan on retaking them over this coming year. I'm registered for course overload and I have A's and some B's. All of my sciences are A's except chem. I also served as a Bio tutor and lab assistant last year and I am currently doing an internship @ a local hospital. I am also planning on taking part in a research assistant program at my school where I will create a research project under thh supervision of a faculty member. I am in the Honor's Program at my school as well and I plan on presenting my research project during my senior year as required. I was recently inducted into Tribeta as well and I am on the executive board for two cultural clubs . I plan on taking my MCAT in the June 2011 and I also plan on keeping my GPA high. I'm also aiming to win the Chem award at my school if I can get good enough grades in chem.
I know I am talking a lot but I desperately want to get into AECOM. It has been my dream, aside from attending Columbia. I am a NY resident. So, can anyone please give me some advice on how to get into my dream school. And please don't give me anything too vague like maintain a good GPA and a good MCAT. I would appreciate some guidance please. Thank you.

From what Ive read and heard, that email is a rite of passage to an acceptance pending you respond with the magic words; if you accept me I will come. When did you get the email, just out of curiousity...?

Hello,
I am about to be a junior in Saint Peter's College. I am a bio major and I really want to get into AECOM. I have above a 3.5 GPA but my chem grades weren't too great so I plan on retaking them over this coming year. I'm registered for course overload and I have A's and some B's. All of my sciences are A's except chem. I also served as a Bio tutor and lab assistant last year and I am currently doing an internship @ a local hospital. I am also planning on taking part in a research assistant program at my school where I will create a research project under thh supervision of a faculty member. I am in the Honor's Program at my school as well and I plan on presenting my research project during my senior year as required. I was recently inducted into Tribeta as well and I am on the executive board for two cultural clubs . I plan on taking my MCAT in the June 2011 and I also plan on keeping my GPA high. I'm also aiming to win the Chem award at my school if I can get good enough grades in chem.
I know I am talking a lot but I desperately want to get into AECOM. It has been my dream, aside from attending Columbia. I am a NY resident. So, can anyone please give me some advice on how to get into my dream school. And please don't give me anything too vague like maintain a good GPA and a good MCAT. I would appreciate some guidance please. Thank you.

From the description of your extracurriculars, it seems like you are very involved which is big positive (medical schools like to see you can manage multiple things successfully at the same time). Keep up with all the activities you have mentioned and also do very will on the MCAT which will help offset your slightly low GPA. There are no secret formulas that will get you into Einstein (or any other schools). So do you best. If you have specific question about Einstein admission process, let us know.

I received the interest email on 6/16. Its now 7/4..... I'm getting really nervous.

From the description of your extracurriculars, it seems like you are very involved which is big positive (medical schools like to see you can manage multiple things successfully at the same time). Keep up with all the activities you have mentioned and also do very will on the MCAT which will help offset your slightly low GPA. There are no secret formulas that will get you into Einstein (or any other schools). So do you best. If you have specific question about Einstein admission process, let us know.

Thank you soo much for your quick response. You definitely made me feel a little bit better. I was wondering when I retake a class, would seem like a bad thing to albert einstein? I read that if someone did poorly in a class like biology, he could show that he knew the material by doing well in an upper level biology class. I'm not saying that I want to take an advanced chem course but, when I retake this course, will it look bad on my transcript even if I went from say a D to A? Sorry to be a pest. And I began studying for the MCAT but I was wondering what the best way to study for it was? I am going to buy a Kaplan book and use that as a guide but, I am horrible at taking standardized tests. I know that I should take a class and I plan on doing that as well. But since I wasn't very strong in chemistry and I am taking physics next semester, I thought that I should complete these courses and take the MCAT in the summer. Is that a good idea? And if I graduate with a 3.8 would that be considered as being a competitive score for AECOM?
Thank you very much> And happy 4th of July.

did you reply saying that you intent to attend, also call the office to make sure that they didn't forget you. You are not on the waitlist, you should go before the w-listers

Yep, responded the next morning that I would go if I get in. Got a thanks email back and haven't heard anything since.

to beels,
call the office tomorrow morning, ask them about the status of your application. If you are still being considered, then write a letter to Dean Kerrigan.. letter of intent.

Thanks. I guess I'm just sort of stunned by the prompt response. I thought I had a decent shot - like 1 out of 3 - since the school accepts quite a few people. They interview around 1300 and accept a little over 500 people, no? Anyway, it's a good school and good luck to those in waiting. For me, it's back to the drawing board and reapplying for the next year. :(

so, HOW MANY seats they have.and how many are on waiting list?

coolbond-185 seats are in the class, supposedly about 400 people get waitlisted

everyone on the waitlist-i just called admissions and asked about any movement. the woman told me that it hasn't started moving and they won't even start looking at it until end of july (her best guess). i really hope this doesn't mean they are still reviewing people for initial decisions. i'm pretty fed up with this school

woohoo finally got my housing assignment! so excited!!!!

woohoo finally got my housing assignment! so excited!!!!

when did you submit paperwork? Still havent received mine :( but my roommate contacted me so I'm guessing I have one out there in Los-mail World

are you rooming with an MS1?

when did you submit paperwork? Still havent received mine :( but my roommate contacted me so I'm guessing I have one out there in Los-mail World

are you rooming with an MS1?

yup 2 MS1s. im sure youll get yours really soon! i submitted them a few days after they came...don't really remember when that was!

yup 2 MS1s. im sure youll get yours really soon! i submitted them a few days after they came...don't really remember when that was!

yea i suppose so. i didnt submit mine till may-ish. at least i have aassignment. see you in august!

coolbond-185 seats are in the class, supposedly about 400 people get waitlisted

everyone on the waitlist-i just called admissions and asked about any movement. the woman told me that it hasn't started moving and they won't even start looking at it until end of july (her best guess). i really hope this doesn't mean they are still reviewing people for initial decisions. i'm pretty fed up with this school[/QUOTE

aecom is probably full already. it doesn't make sense to start evaluating the waitlist at the end of july, only a couple weeks before school begins. i just wish they would let us know that instead of giving us false hope.

yeah i'm not sure...i asked her straight out if the class was full and she told me "no it's not full"...but who knows if that's the truth

What a joke- the school is arrogant... the time frame and lack of communication is unreal

What a joke- the school is arrogant... the time frame and lack of communication is unreal

Einstein baffles me. I just don't understand why anyone would think it's fair to applicants who interviewed to not have received a decision by July. May 1st should have been the absolute last day....not over 2 months later.

aecom is probably full already. it doesn't make sense to start evaluating the waitlist at the end of july, only a couple weeks before school begins. i just wish they would let us know that instead of giving us false hope.[/QUOTE]

Think about it like this...every time I call the office I always end off asking the same questions about the waitlist. One - when will the comitte start looking at the waitlist to which they always answer "I dont know" and second - is there still room in the class and I always get an immidiate "yes." Also i know the facebook group is not such a good indicator but if u look up the group for the class of 2013 there are 170 members for the 183 spots they had last year and so far the class of 2014 group has about 145 members out of 185. Although there is no way for us to factually know anything here, based on all this, I'd place my bets more onm the fact that the class has plenty of room left over when exactly they feel it necessary to start filling up.

Einstein baffles me. I just don't understand why anyone would think it's fair to applicants who interviewed to not have received a decision by July. May 1st should have been the absolute last day....not over 2 months later.

I feel the same. I really don't understand how they got so far behind in reviewing applicants this year and why they wouldn't make every effort to get caught up now that their school year is over. This is driving away good potential students! If I have to reapply I would love for the opportunity to tell Einstein no thanks. The fact that they think it's ok to let applicants stew for 7 MONTHS with NO communication at all just shows their lack of respect for the applicants. :mad:

Sorry this turned into a rant, I'm just really frustrated right now.

I feel the same. I really don't understand how they got so far behind in reviewing applicants this year and why they wouldn't make every effort to get caught up now that their school year is over. This is driving away good potential students! If I have to reapply I would love for the opportunity to tell Einstein no thanks. The fact that they think it's ok to let applicants stew for 7 MONTHS with NO communication at all just shows their lack of respect for the applicants. :mad:

Sorry this turned into a rant, I'm just really frustrated right now.

yea, its terribly frustrating, especially knowing there isn't really much we can do other than wait :/

I'm just moving forward with my other plans, prepping a move across the country, hopefully einstein gives me some good news before I sign a lease, but I wouldn't hold my breath..

I'm still hopeful and will remain on the waitlist, but realistically speaking, its july 9th, and I need to get on with my life

Good luck to everybody, I hope they give us a response soon enough

any waitlist movement? today is 19 july?:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.