* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well yes according to ME i did repeat it. since i took GEN CHEM 1 at one school....went to a second school and took GEN CHEM 1 there. but on my transcript for the second school...those two are marked as two DIFFERENT courses. As in...the first got transferred..but as chem level 1XXX not as gen chem.

Okay. You'll just mark the first one on your AACOMAS as "repeat 01" if it's the first course you've repeated. Then you'll mark the second time you took it as "last repeat 01," again assuming it's the first course you've repeated. If it's the second repeated course you have, it'll be 02, etc.

Then AACOMAS will automatically calculate your GPA as only including the *latest/final* attempt's grade in your GPA. However, all grades will be visible on your application.

Make sense?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. You'll just mark the first one on your AACOMAS as "repeat 01" if it's the first course you've repeated. Then you'll mark the second time you took it as "last repeat 01," again assuming it's the first course you've repeated. If it's the second repeated course you have, it'll be 02, etc.

Then AACOMAS will automatically calculate your GPA as only including the *latest/final* attempt's grade in your GPA. However, all grades will be visible on your application.

Make sense?

yes it makes sense. But my question was, that if my own institution didnt count it as GEN CHEM, what are the chances that AACOMAS will. Like, what if aacomas also considers it two different courses u know?
ohh and i forgot to mention, the first course was taken at a university in canada. it was gen chem 1 nevertheless :shrug:

i had the same question. i was told that once your app is released to schools there will be a link next to each school that you can click on to see the pdf that was sent. in this pdf is your official gpa. i was verified last week and my app has still not released (just to give you an idea of a timetable).

Fantastic! Much appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it makes sense. But my question was, that if my own institution didnt count it as GEN CHEM, what are the chances that AACOMAS will. Like, what if aacomas also considers it two different courses u know?
ohh and i forgot to mention, the first course was taken at a university in canada. it was gen chem 1 nevertheless :shrug:

I know. I understand the situation.

It doesn't matter how one school accepts your transfer credit. Whether they give you Gen Chem credit, chemistry credit unspecified, science credit, general education credit, or no credit. It doesn't matter if they give you a grade for the transfer credits, or if they're just generic credits that don't count toward your GPA. It doesn't matter if they serve you green eggs and ham.

I don't think the Canada thing will change anything, but I can't be 100% sure. I'd give it maybe 2% that it changes something, but you can read the AACOMAS instructions to be sure.

Just mark the class down with your first college where you took it. Put the original grade. Mark it as "first repeat 01." Now mark the second time you took it under the next college with the second grade and specify it as "last repeat 01."

**Do not mark the class down a third time for when it shows up in your second college's transcript as transfer credits.**

Awesome. I'm not filling my aacomas application just yet. I was just wondering cause i was calculating my gpa. But Thank you :)

Awesome. I'm not filling my aacomas application just yet. I was just wondering cause i was calculating my gpa. But Thank you :)

It's taking about a month for it to process so watch out.

It's taking about a month for it to process so watch out.

I know :( but I havent taken my MCAT yet...taking it in 10 days. And I have NO idea what to write for my PS. I cant spend any time on PS until im done with MCAT. Im stuck. I dont even know if its worth applying this late in the cycle (ie late august) :(

Is there a reason why my AACOMAS still says there is no official MCAT scores on file yet?

I've asked AAMC to release my scores to AACOMAS a while ago too...

I know :( but I havent taken my MCAT yet...taking it in 10 days. And I have NO idea what to write for my PS. I cant spend any time on PS until im done with MCAT. Im stuck. I dont even know if its worth applying this late in the cycle (ie late august) :(

Relax, you're not late at all. However, you should get to work on your PS ASAP!! This isn't something you should just scrap together; I know it's hard since your MCAT is coming up and you're probably totally focused on that right now, but don't neglect your PS either. Submit when you feel you've done all you could for your application, don't rush it. And remember that you don't need an MCAT score to submit. :)

Relax, you're not late at all. However, you should get to work on your PS ASAP!! This isn't something you should just scrap together; I know it's hard since your MCAT is coming up and you're probably totally focused on that right now, but don't neglect your PS either. Submit when you feel you've done all you could for your application, don't rush it. And remember that you don't need an MCAT score to submit. :)

Thanks Semicolon :) Its a combination of factors that makes me keep debating whether to apply this cycle or no. Every medical student I've met keeps telling me that they would NOT want to go thru the application process twice. Since my gpa is low (3.2ish) and i dont know about my MCAT, I was thinking maybe I should wait a year and be TOTALLY ready for the next cycle. But again, I dont want to wait an extra year. I dont know. I know I can be done my PS and apply (primary) by aug 31. But thats late AND I dont know how i'll end up doing on my MCAT. PLUS its costly to apply :-s

Thanks Semicolon :) Its a combination of factors that makes me keep debating whether to apply this cycle or no. Every medical student I've met keeps telling me that they would NOT want to go thru the application process twice. Since my gpa is low (3.2ish) and i dont know about my MCAT, I was thinking maybe I should wait a year and be TOTALLY ready for the next cycle. But again, I dont want to wait an extra year. I dont know. I know I can be done my PS and apply (primary) by aug 31. But thats late AND I dont know how i'll end up doing on my MCAT. PLUS its costly to apply :-s

That's not late, and it doesn't seem like you have sufficient reason to forgo this application cycle and apply next year. Do you have any reason to believe that your MCAT score will be lacking? And while your GPA may be slightly on the low side, it wouldn't shut any doors outright and you'd still have a good chance as long as the rest of your application is solid. I'd say go for it.

That's not late, and it doesn't seem like you have sufficient reason to forgo this application cycle and apply next year. Do you have any reason to believe that your MCAT score will be lacking? And while your GPA may be slightly on the low side, it wouldn't shut any doors outright and you'd still have a good chance as long as the rest of your application is solid. I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the motivation :) I think I will go for it :luck:
I dont think I'll end up doing outstanding on the MCAT since its less than 10 days from now and I dont feel ready. But i'll be happy if i can hit above a 26 lol. We'll see but I'll send in my primaries for sure before I get the result :)

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCOM and NJSOM have not sent me any acknowledgment or emails? thats weird no?

NYCOM and NJSOM have not sent me any acknowledgment or emails? thats weird no?

No. NYCOM will not give any correspondence until October/November pretty much, and with UMDNJ you can simply go on their website and fill out their secondary; they won't send one to you.

No. NYCOM will not give any correspondence until October/November pretty much, and with UMDNJ you can simply go on their website and fill out their secondary; they won't send one to you.

thanks!

does any other DO school require a deans letter other than PCOM?

this may be a stupid question, but do we get secondary application via email or snail mail? I know it will take about 4-6 wks after one submits their primary application.

Also, how should I prepare for the secondary application essay questions?

thanks in advance!

this may be a stupid question, but do we get secondary application via email or snail mail? I know it will take about 4-6 wks after one submits their primary application.

Also, how should I prepare for the secondary application essay questions?

thanks in advance!

Most will be a link in your email to a webpage or a pdf.

However, some schools (like Touro) will send it to you in the mail, but you can also access it online. At least that's how it was last year.

Check my sig for essay prompts. However, they may be subject to change from year to year, but they usually don't.

Is there a reason why my AACOMAS still says there is no official MCAT scores on file yet?

I've asked AAMC to release my scores to AACOMAS a while ago too...

Can anyone please answer this?

Last year they had issues if you got an MCAT ID that wasn't associated with your SSN (like 000-00-0000 or something).

Could you have an issue like that?

is it too late to apply? I noticed that it takes a LONG time to get verified... I thought of applying a few weeks ago and thought it was too late but now I am wondering...

is it too late to apply? I noticed that it takes a LONG time to get verified... I thought of applying a few weeks ago and thought it was too late but now I am wondering...

Stop wondering if it's too late and fill out the stupid application!! :D

Seriously, it's not too late at all. Ask us in February and you'll get a different answer. ;)

With your stats I wouldn't bother applying to DO. You'll just take spots from kids who's only option is DO.

With a 34? You must not be applying to a wide variety of schools, then...IMO.

First year:
UW Madison
MCW
SUNY Upstate
GWU
Wake Forest
U of Miami
Florida U
U of Florida
Ohio State (interview)
Michigan State
Rush
Case Western
+one more can't remember

Second year:
UW Madison mdphd (interview)
MCW mdphd (interview)
Ohio State md
Minnesota mdphd

Third year:
Indiana

Lots of reapplicants around here. :hi:

Have you contacted schools that rejected you to find out what you could improve? What's lacking in your app? Etc...

It was clinical volunteering, regular volunteering and shadowing, but i think that is all in order now. But I don't want to wait another year if I don't get into the schools I am applying to... and i don't want to retake the MCAT. I don't think I will do as well :(

It was clinical volunteering, regular volunteering and shadowing, but i think that is all in order now. But I don't want to wait another year if I don't get into the schools I am applying to... and i don't want to retake the MCAT. I don't think I will do as well :(

Apply more broadly than ever, and see how you fare at the end of the day. It's still early in the cycle.

I want to add Michigan and Ohio DO schools... I wish AMCAS did both MD and DO.

If you're going to do those two, you might as well add some others. Plus those are two state funded schools. Both mostly accept in-state residents, especially MSUCOM. OUCOM has a 5 year contract to work in the state after residency if you're not an OH resident.

Perhaps you didn't do enough school research during your previous application cycles...

Not trying to be mean. Just pointing out a potential flaw to help get you on track to success this round.

Look through my signature for some more info on DO schools if you're interested.

If you're going to do those two, you might as well add some others. Plus those are two state funded schools. Both mostly accept in-state residents, especially MSUCOM. OUCOM has a 5 year contract to work in the state after residency if you're not an OH resident.

Perhaps you didn't do enough school research during your previous application cycles...

Not trying to be mean. Just pointing out a potential flaw to help get you on track to success this round.

Look through my signature for some more info on DO schools if you're interested.

I don't have a letter from a DO, so I thought that those were some of the few schools that I could do.

ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM/MWU
CCOM/MWU
DMU-COM
KCUMB-COM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
NSU-COM
OU-COM
PNWU-COM
PCOM
GA-PCOM
TOUROCOM-NY
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
UNECOM
UNTHSC/TCOM
WESTERN U/COMP

Check this year's CIB to double check these. They're from last year and didn't require a DO LOR.

Question: Do you send Letters of Recommendations to AACOMAS or to individual schools?

Question: Do you send Letters of Recommendations to AACOMAS or to individual schools?

Individual schools. Or you can sign up for Interfolio and have them hold all of your letters and you pay each time you want them to send the letters to a school.

Or you have your pre health office hold the letters and have them send them out to the schools.

Either way, you don't send any letters to AACOMAS.

Last year they had issues if you got an MCAT ID that wasn't associated with your SSN (like 000-00-0000 or something).

Could you have an issue like that?

Maybe..they said to enter an 8 digit ID number....but where can I find this number?

I think i put in the one they had on the sheet when you left the testing center.

How does one check what the verified gpa came out to be once AACOMAS is verified?? I know for AMCAS you clicked on 'print application' or whatever and it told you, but I didn't see anything like that for AACOMAS??

JaggerPlate-

Once you have been verified, and released to schools, there should be a date next to each school on the main AACOMAS page. If you click on it you can download a copy of the application and your GPA will be there.

To everyone else-

I recently got a job assisting in OB/GYN at a local hospital. I will be helping in the OR, with high risk pregnancies. I will also be assisting surgeons in varies other ways. Is this something I should update my schools with? My primary has already been verified and received by everyone. Is this something I should send to AACOMAS? Fax to each school myself? Or just not update them with? Thanks

Hi all,

I am not yet AACOMAS-verified. I took two summer courses (5 credits worth of Physics 2 and lab to finish my physics pre-reqs - Physics I was taken back in 2005). Should I submit these transcripts directly to AACOMAS and try to change my application before it is sent out, or send the transcripts directly to each medical school?

Thanks!

Maybe..they said to enter an 8 digit ID number....but where can I find this number?

I think i put in the one they had on the sheet when you left the testing center.

That's your AMCAS ID. It's the same number as on your MCAT score report and the one you used to fill out AMCAS and login to any AAMC service.

How does one check what the verified gpa came out to be once AACOMAS is verified?? I know for AMCAS you clicked on 'print application' or whatever and it told you, but I didn't see anything like that for AACOMAS??

you can follow bcgans' instructions about 2 weeks after being verified.

Hi all,

I am not yet AACOMAS-verified. I took two summer courses (5 credits worth of Physics 2 and lab to finish my physics pre-reqs - Physics I was taken back in 2005). Should I submit these transcripts directly to AACOMAS and try to change my application before it is sent out, or send the transcripts directly to each medical school?

Thanks!

If you're in the middle of getting verified right now, and it's been more than a week or two since you submitted, I'd just wait to update AACOMAS. However, someone from this year said that they were able to update with new summer grades while being verified, and that it didn't take AACOMAS any extra time to verify. However, last year, if we did that, our verification started over from day 1 (6 more weeks).

You will never send transcripts to the medical schools, until you're accepted and decide to attend. In order to update your AACOMAS grades, you send transcripts directly to AACOMAS and then *they* update the schools for you.

Hi everyone,

Sorry- I realize these questions have been asked in various forms already but I'm paranoid :)

1. For hours for extracurriculars- is it ok to leave either weekly average or total hours blank? For example, estimating total hours playing an intercollegiate sport during college is alot harder than estimating a realistic weekly average. If I'm not sure, should I go with a safe estimate or just leave one section blank?

2. In my PS, I briefly mention 3 HIV/AIDS volunteering experiences from high school (HIV/AIDS work is the theme of my PS)- should I also put them down for work/EC experience? I didn't because they were from high school and I already mentioned them in my PS...

3. For thesis research, any suggestions on how to enter it? It's not an extracurricular because I got class credit for it but it wasn't work experience because I didn't get paid (except in the summer)... thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Sorry- I realize these questions have been asked in various forms already but I'm paranoid :)

1. For hours for extracurriculars- is it ok to leave either weekly average or total hours blank? For example, estimating total hours playing an intercollegiate sport during college is alot harder than estimating a realistic weekly average. If I'm not sure, should I go with a safe estimate or just leave one section blank?

2. In my PS, I briefly mention 3 HIV/AIDS volunteering experiences from high school (HIV/AIDS work is the theme of my PS)- should I also put them down for work/EC experience? I didn't because they were from high school and I already mentioned them in my PS...

3. For thesis research, any suggestions on how to enter it? It's not an extracurricular because I got class credit for it but it wasn't work experience because I didn't get paid (except in the summer)... thoughts?

Thanks!

1. In your position, I would give a safe estimate of the hours. They're not counting, but don't exaggerate!

2. It is fine to mention a high school experience in your PS, but you were right not to include it into ECs; generally anything from high school isn't counted.

3. I would put it under ECs/Volunteer anyway; just make it sound more like research and less like thesis. :p

So I have a quick question for the vets in applying. In my transcript section I am having difficulty figuring out what to do with a course. I took Calculus II three times. Twice at McGill and once at CSU, I recieved a D and F and an A+ in that order. The course numbers are obviously different being from different schools, but both are run of the mill Calc II. Should I enter it as repeat delete (how do I do that) or just leave it as a thorn in my GPAs side (I graduated with a 3.912 in Biochem, but my first two years bring it all down to 3.2 cum.).

Thanks

Last edited:
1. In your position, I would give a safe estimate of the hours. They're not counting, but don't exaggerate!

2. It is fine to mention a high school experience in your PS, but you were right not to include it into ECs; generally anything from high school isn't counted.

3. I would put it under ECs/Volunteer anyway; just make it sound more like research and less like thesis. :p
Thanks! Re the thesis stuff though, I had put my thesis under work because I had a summer fellowship for it before my senior year so I did a brief description, should I just split them up ie summer fellowship and then thesis?

Thanks! Re the thesis stuff though, I had put my thesis under work because I had a summer fellowship for it before my senior year so I did a brief description, should I just split them up ie summer fellowship and then thesis?

That's really up to you and what you would prefer to do. If you feel it warrants a separate description, then go for it; otherwise, it may be better not to be redundant.

I did research for two years, but the first year was not paid and the second was (research apprenticeship). I received class credit for my research both before and while getting paid for research. Should I put the first year in the extracurriculars section (even though I got class credit) and then the second year in the work experience section? I also did a poster presentation and two oral presentations...should I include the names and locations of those? How about posters that I contributed to but did not present (I was third author, and one of them was presented at a national conference)? Most but not all of these presentations were done while being paid. Should I put some in the extracurriculars section and the others in the work experience section, or have them all in one section? Thanks, and sorry for all the million questions!

I did research for two years, but the first year was not paid and the second was (research apprenticeship). I received class credit for my research both before and while getting paid for research. Should I put the first year in the extracurriculars section (even though I got class credit) and then the second year in the work experience section? I also did a poster presentation and two oral presentations...should I include the names and locations of those? How about posters that I contributed to but did not present (I was third author, and one of them was presented at a national conference)? Most but not all of these presentations were done while being paid. Should I put some in the extracurriculars section and the others in the work experience section, or have them all in one section? Thanks, and sorry for all the million questions!

Separate and mention them as you see fit; there are no delineated guidelines for which experience goes where. Just use your best judgment and see what looks/sounds better. If you feel you did something relevant and worthy of mention, then add it.