* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok so, I was verified today, but my application hasn't been sent to any school. However, my real issue is...where's the verified calculated GPA? I can't find it anywhere. When do I get it?

Also, one rumor I'd like cleared up is...does AACOMAS replace grades of classes that you retake? I took Organic Chem I the first time and got a C...the next time I took it I got an A. Is it average of the two or best of the two?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
problem is, that now im verified i can't even find my calculated gpa. where can i find it? i don't know if this applies to it, but i use mozila firefox browser.

Members don't see this ad :)
problem is, that now im verified i can't even find my calculated gpa. where can i find it? i don't know if this applies to it, but i use mozila firefox browser.

Yea im having the same issue..I was verified last thursday and i got an email saying that my application would be sent out this week? but i also cannot view my aacomas calculated GPA :eek:

Yea im having the same issue..I was verified last thursday and i got an email saying that my application would be sent out this week? but i also cannot view my aacomas calculated GPA :eek:

good to hear that someone else is in the same boat. i sent them message about it so i hope to hear soon! i'll report back when i hear something.

good to hear that someone else is in the same boat. i sent them message about it so i hope to hear soon! i'll report back when i hear something.

they told me that i'll be able to see my gpa in a pdf doc once they send applications to schools.

Did they happen to mention how long it took until they sent the applications to the school after verification? Thanks! :thumbup:

I just had my own question answered haha...I was verified last thursday and I just had my applicaiton sent to the medical schools today...and the dates are next to the schools with a link to see your full application and GPA

I just had my own question answered haha...I was verified last thursday and I just had my applicaiton sent to the medical schools today...and the dates are next to the schools with a link to see your full application and GPA

:D

:thumbup:

Hello,
i was wondering if someone could tell me how to put "last repeat" in for my final repeated class??? I tried to look for it several times in AACOMAS but I don't see that option anywhere!!! ahhh :scared:

thank you

Hello,
i was wondering if someone could tell me how to put "last repeat" in for my final repeated class??? I tried to look for it several times in AACOMAS but I don't see that option anywhere!!! ahhh :scared:

thank you

It should be listed in the same drop-down menu as "Repeat".

my mcat scores are already in, but does aacomas recieve them automatically like amcas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So when entering grades into AACOMAS, what is the difference between semester hours and quarter units? How would I enter them in?

I attended a UC and took quarter units but then repeated some classes at a different school in semester units (which were always more than the quarter units). Would I just convert the quarter units to semester hours when I put them in ?

Any responses would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Hey guys, I can't find anywhere in the AACOMAS that would be appropriate to list publications. Any advice? Thanks!

Hey guys,

So when entering grades into AACOMAS, what is the difference between semester hours and quarter units? How would I enter them in?

I attended a UC and took quarter units but then repeated some classes at a different school in semester units (which were always more than the quarter units). Would I just convert the quarter units to semester hours when I put them in ?

Any responses would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Put it in as semester units (i.e. 5 ~> 3.3), my verification was delayed because I put it in as quarter units.

Hey guys, I can't find anywhere in the AACOMAS that would be appropriate to list publications. Any advice? Thanks!

I put in my research job under the work experience section (listing my PI as the name of the employer, this was a paid position) and then listed a brief synopsis of my research along with the citations for my publications in the description section

For my college English requirement, I used AP credit for one semester and took Intro to Philosophy for the 2nd semester (as allowed by my school). I did as the AACOMAS instructions said, and listed Intro to Philosophy as "English" on the courses, and added a sentence at the end of my personal statement indicating that the course counted as English. Now that my application is verified, the course section has Intro to Philosophy listed as "other", and the application pdf says that I have a 4.00 hour deficit in English.

Should I contact AACOMAS about this? Or should I just assume that the schools will read my PS and figure it out? My committee letter also addresses that the course counted for English. Thanks for any opinions/advice!

Ok so heres my story.

I took organic chem at a semester school got super sick and ended up with an F for the course. I retook the class at my school which runs on a quarter system and got As. AACOMAS said they wont replace the grades since the semester was worth 4 credits and the quarter was worth only 2. The thing is i took organic 1 2 and 3 at my quarter school which equates to 6 credits all together. So what will they do? am i still eligible for grade replacement?

Thank you!

Also, are we supposed enter ALL grades that appear on our transcripts? I went to a UC and when I did research there you get units and a grade for it each quarter so I have 9 qrtrs of Bio 99 (4.0 units) and all A's but it's not a class it was research, would I still enter it in my gpa? and if I did would it be under biology? I don't want it to seem like im entering them to make my scigpa look higher.

Thank you!

Also, are we supposed enter ALL grades that appear on our transcripts? I went to a UC and when I did research there you get units and a grade for it each quarter so I have 9 qrtrs of Bio 99 (4.0 units) and all A's but it's not a class it was research, would I still enter it in my gpa? and if I did would it be under biology? I don't want it to seem like im entering them to make my scigpa look higher.

Yeah you put your research down. I thought the same thing last year, but did it because they showed up on my transcripts. It was a significant part of my graduate degree and undergraduate degree. Dont worry though, I think they are very aware that this could be used to inflate someones gpa, so they have a way to treat it fairly. I cant remember exactly off the top of my head, but they will count so many credits of it towards your overall grade, then consider the remainder as P/F or repeat or something like that. Same goes for Thesis/Dissertation hours.

Make sure you put it down, if your doing true research, you'll learn more in that than you will in any course you take. Make sure you get credit for it. And yes, if you were doing Biology research, put it down as Biology. If it had a course number, then it will be considered as a course on your transcripts and therefore it should be a course to AACOMAS.

Last edited:
Yeah you put your research down. I thought the same thing last year, but did it because they showed up on my transcripts. It was a significant part of my graduate degree and undergraduate degree. Dont worry though, I think they are very aware that this could be used to inflate someones gpa, so they have a way to treat it fairly. I cant remember exactly off the top of my head, but they will count so many credits of it towards your overall grade, then consider the remainder as P/F or repeat or something like that. Same goes for Thesis/Dissertation hours.

Make sure you put it down, if your doing true research, you'll learn more in that than you will in any course you take. Make sure you get credit for it. And yes, if you were doing Biology research, put it down as Biology. If it had a course number, then it will be considered as a course on your transcripts and therefore it should be a course to AACOMAS.

Thank you Shinydome!! Good to know, anyone know exactly how many units they would count? That's awesome that I get to put that down :)

Are people still doing their AACOMAS apps? Like still working on them? And do you guys think it's too late? I ask because I just started doing mine, just have the personal statement to complete (using the AMCAS one for this too), but I'm worried.. Oh, for 2010 admission i mean. I can see some people are in the same boat as me, which makes me feel a little better, but still worried... Good luck to all!!

Has anyone had issues with missing work experience/ECs following verification of their application?
A couple of my activities are missing from the online application now, as well as the applicant copies of the application released to schools.

So, I'm working on the Awards/Honors/Scholarships portion and I'm wondering, I know a lot of people are stellar in high school but large college sizes make it pretty difficult to stand out. Well I went to a large urban school so most of my achievements are from high school. How much of my pre-undegrad accomplishments can I get away with on my application? Here's the complete list:

COLLEGE:
Dean's List 2007-2009
Full-tuition scholarship 2005
Another scholarship 2005

HIGH SCHOOL:
Symphony Orchestra Award 2005
Track & Field Maximum Effort Award 2005
Excellence in a Writing Contest 2004
Varsity Letters: Track & Field and Cross Country 2005
Who's Who Among American High School Students 2001-2004
Scholar Athlete 2004

All and any response is appreciated! :laugh:

So, I'm working on the Awards/Honors/Scholarships portion and I'm wondering, I know a lot of people are stellar in high school but large college sizes make it pretty difficult to stand out. Well I went to a large urban school so most of my achievements are from high school. How much of my pre-undegrad accomplishments can I get away with on my application? Here's the complete list:

COLLEGE:
Dean's List 2007-2009
Full-tuition scholarship 2005
Another scholarship 2005

HIGH SCHOOL:
Symphony Orchestra Award 2005
Track & Field Maximum Effort Award 2005
Excellence in a Writing Contest 2004
Varsity Letters: Track & Field and Cross Country 2005
Who's Who Among American High School Students 2001-2004
Scholar Athlete 2004

All and any response is appreciated! :laugh:

Hey dude, I'm not 100% positive on this one, but I don't think that you're supposed to put anything from High school yrs down on these apps. I know that's the case for the AMCAS, and I think it's the same for AACOMAS. And it's unfortunate, since you seem to have a lot of really good things on there from high school! I had the same problem, lots of EC's from high school, not as many from college, but I think the grad schools (including medical and DO schools) are only looking for college stuff. As far as i know they don't want High school achievements at all, but I'd ask around to make sure. Also, if you find out they do accept high school achievements, LET ME KNOW!!! I was salutatorian of my HS, I'd LOVE to put that on my apps!!! Good luck with everything man!

Are people still doing their AACOMAS apps? Like still working on them? And do you guys think it's too late? I ask because I just started doing mine, just have the personal statement to complete (using the AMCAS one for this too), but I'm worried.. Oh, for 2010 admission i mean. I can see some people are in the same boat as me, which makes me feel a little better, but still worried... Good luck to all!!

I'm not actually working on mine yet, I was trying to work the aacomas app to get a feel for it, I'm actually applying the next cycle (still need physics and my MCAT!) I do think it's better to apply early but I know many people who are applying now as well. Good luck to you!!!

Hey guys i have a quick question about grade replacement. Lets say I did poorly on a biochemistry course in my undergrad institution and after graduating I took an equivalent biochemistry course at another school. On the AACOMAS app would the grade be replaced even though I re-took the course at another school? Or would I have to retake the class at my undergrad institution in order to have my grade replaced.

Thanks ! I hope someone can answer this =)

Hello all,

I submitted my AACOMAS on 8/13 and am still awaiting verification. I added another school (UNECOM) to my list last week and simply paid the extra $50 bucks. I am wondering if this at all slows the progress of the AACOMAS verification process? Anyone know? I wouldn't think so but I'm getting anxious now...:scared::scared:

Hey guys i have a quick question about grade replacement. Lets say I did poorly on a biochemistry course in my undergrad institution and after graduating I took an equivalent biochemistry course at another school. On the AACOMAS app would the grade be replaced even though I re-took the course at another school? Or would I have to retake the class at my undergrad institution in order to have my grade replaced.

Thanks ! I hope someone can answer this =)

As long as the school is accredited and the courses equivalent, your grade will be replaced.

Hello all,

I submitted my AACOMAS on 8/13 and am still awaiting verification. I added another school (UNECOM) to my list last week and simply paid the extra $50 bucks. I am wondering if this at all slows the progress of the AACOMAS verification process? Anyone know? I wouldn't think so but I'm getting anxious now...:scared::scared:

I am wondering the same thing as I am preparing to add another school to mine. I should be verified in the next week or so. All I know is that I have been advised not to add this semester's school/class info until I am verified, which makes sense, but it seems as though adding a school would have no effect on the classes being verified? Anybody done this yet and have any feedback?

Hello all,

Just so you know, I submitted 8/1 and was told yesterday that they are behind and that I would be verified in "a week or so." If you submitted on 8/13 you have at least another 2-3 weeks to wait.

Just so you know, I submitted 8/1 and was told yesterday that they are behind and that I would be verified in "a week or so." If you submitted on 8/13 you have at least another 2-3 weeks to wait.

Holy S#$T!!

Hello all,

I asked this question in another thread and was told by someone else that they added a school right before being verified and the time frame for verification was still fairly on par with what was expected...for this cycle at least! :laugh:

I asked this question in another thread and was told by someone else that they added a school right before being verified and the time frame for verification was still fairly on par with what was expected...for this cycle at least! :laugh:

How does it work if you want to add a school after being verified? Does it just get released to that school also or does the app need to go through some kind of processing again?

Hey guys, so I am new at this whole posting questions, I decided to apply D.O. very last minute, and I pretty much filled out the application in a day. However, I wanted to clear up what medically and financially disadvantaged meant? If anyone could answer this, that would be great! Thank you! :)

How do I list my teaching assistantships?
They are paid via the various departments on campus.

Does this go under work experience?
Should I list the University as the sole employer, then list each one (4, from the biology and chemistry departments), or would it be preferable to list each department of the university as a separate employer, and list each two under a department?

Thanks in advance. :)

How do I list my teaching assistantships?
They are paid via the various departments on campus.

Does this go under work experience?
Should I list the University as the sole employer, then list each one (4, from the biology and chemistry departments), or would it be preferable to list each department of the university as a separate employer, and list each two under a department?

Thanks in advance. :)

Since you were paid, list them under work experiences. I would go ahead and list the 2 bio experiences together and the 2 chem experiences together, but at the same time you could make 4 separate listings if they were all very distinct from each other.

Hey guys, I have two questions about withdrawn courses. Should I put down any semester hours for them? In the AMCAS app it automatically put them as 0, so I wonder if AACOMAS wants it the same way. Also if I withdrew from a course, does that count as an attempt as far as retakes are concerned?

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I filled out the amcas with some classes that I plan to take this semester, like anatomy lab, and now I am considering dropping it. Do you think that will impact my application/acceptance, since I put it down on amcas as a future class? I have already submitted my amcas. And when is the next time that I have to send another transcript? right before matriculation?

i'm working on my secondary appl. and wondered if i should use 'healthcare' or 'health care'? or does it make a difference?

I did some volunteering during my undergrad, which I of course listed in the extracurricular section. I also volunteered for quite a while my senior year of high school. In the past (for resumes), I had been advised not to include anything pre-undergrad. Does anyone think this is too long ago to include in aacomas? I understand it not being very recent but I also feel that it shows my consistency/dedication to medicine.. any thoughts?

How does it work if you want to add a school after being verified? Does it just get released to that school also or does the app need to go through some kind of processing again?

I don't have personal experience with this, but from my understanding of the process, once verification is done, it's done. It's just double checking all the academic information you keyed in on your app with respect to your paper transcripts. It might take a few days at most to release to a school after you are already verified. Anyone personally experienced this?

Silly question everyone:

A lot of my jobs are the same (paramedic). Should I just copy and paste the descriptions? I mean, realistically, the roles were the same, just different companies... thoughts?

Also, I'm using a resume style, bullet format...is this generally recommended? I figure they don't want to read an essay about my work experiences...

Same for EC?

Thanks!

Im submitting my AACOMAS quick, but I realized I should ask this,

So a couple of years ago I signed up for a TA spot, but the teacher never gave me a grade, and its showing up as IP for in progress. i'm calling it a deferred grade and talked it over with the professor, he's gonna give me a grade later when I finish my research for him. is this ok?

HELP PLEASE??? :(

Last edited:
How long does it take for AACOMAS to obtain MCAT scores? Its been 3 weeks since I provided my AAMC number (my AACOMAS is submitted)! :scared:

Did you have AAMC send the scores to AACOMAS? (it sounds like you only posted the aamc # on the aacomas app). Once I did that it took about 4 days for AACOMAS to post they had received them. Also, since you're in the midst of being verified, they may be a little slow to update your page. Idk tho, you may want to call to find out what's going on if you did have aamc send the scores.

A not to people about AACOMAS... I read my application after it was verified, and there were classes on my application summary which I never took, and they were missing a bunch of classes that I did take. Be sure to check on this... it appears that they sometimes just pull things out of the air.