2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good grief...one of my referees let me know he'd found a significant editing error in the letter he'd sent to over half of my programs. He copied/pasted a sentence w/o cutting from its original spot -- so he repeated a sentence. It was a complimentary statement, but I can't help but think this does nothing but diminish my already slim chances especially given I'm applying to only ten programs. I won't dwell on it...

@ hamsterpants -- sorry, no coin toss. I can't let you have Style points AND eccentric elder cred now that my LORs have taken a second hit.

I'm no expert but I don't think this will reflect poorly on you - you had no control over it. Some of my favorite profs have been brilliant but um scatterbrained and I bet programs are not completely surprised by this.

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely taking it as a learning experience -- self advocacy, motivating the best in people and remaining centered when all I really want to do is start slapping people. Did I mention anger management?

I also wonder -- will this referee flake-out when/if admissions/gatekeepers call to ask follow up questions? gack...

Last edited:
My stress levels are starting to peak since one of my recommendation writers has still not completed my LOR's! I have 2/3 letter's in my possession and I need this one since my first batch of school's have the deadline (12/1) approaching soon! I was hoping to send everything out by tomorrow or at the latest, Tuesday. I can't believe this is happening....

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also wonder -- will this referee flake-out when/if admissions/gatekeepers call to ask follow up questions? gack...

I was just thinking about this -- do you think schools call recommenders regularly? Or just if they have a specific questions about something?

One of my recommenders was nice enough to swing by my apartment and drop off my letters today so that I can send everything out tomorrow. I'll be just :D once they're in the mail!!!!

I was just thinking about this -- do you think schools call recommenders regularly? Or just if they have a specific questions about something?

One of my POIs called all my writers when it was down to the last few people to call for interviews, and had 1 hour-ish talks with them. But no one else called any of them, that I know of.

I just submitted my first application today! One down, seven to go :)

My stress levels are starting to peak since one of my recommendation writers has still not completed my LOR's! I have 2/3 letter's in my possession and I need this one since my first batch of school's have the deadline (12/1) approaching soon! I was hoping to send everything out by tomorrow or at the latest, Tuesday. I can't believe this is happening....

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Same here; it's awful! My third recommender has known for weeks when the due dates are. In order for me to get my stuff in by 12/1, I told him that the due date was TODAY. Then he called me a couple days ago asking when things were due, despite the numerous reminder emails I've sent him. I clarified that I needed the materials by today.

He called again this morning and said, "So when you say the due dates are today, what does that mean?" He doesn't even have the rec written yet and is planning to ship them same-day to me tomorrow.

It doesn't help that it's almost Thanksgiving, and I'm planning to go home to celebrate. I'll have to come back early if this paperwork doesn't arrive. Gah!

^ all my recommenders have their letters written for previous things (last year; gov't funding) and I still can't get them to finish them early.

Just submitted my Minnesota app. Done with 7/15, but all my dec 1st apps are in. Nervous about everything getting there properly, ets sending my subject scores, and schools not losing anything...

Me too. I just finished my Dec 1 apps, which now makes it 8/15. Off to the post office tomorrow so I can have a somewhat worry free Thanksgiving.

Ok, I have a dilemma.

So I originally planned to send out my first batch of apps yesterday. Except one of my recommenders has not sent me back her letters. She also said that she sent them directly to the schools, which I checked and none of them received anything on my behalf. I emailed her again yesterday to ask that she send another copy to me as soon as possible. She has not responded.

I'm stressed! Should I just send in what I have now today, instead of hoping and waiting that her letters will get to me by the end of this week so I can send in everything together? The schools seem to emphasize that they want everything in one big packet. :confused:

Gah.

Fedexed my last package today! *does a little celebration dance*

Now comes the REALLY hard part: waiting! (And hoping that I don't start getting emails to say GRE scores didn't arrive or that they're missing LORs etc...)

The application process was one thing, because at least I had some control over that! Now it's in the hands of admissions committees, my POIs and the Graduate Schools...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck to everyone else and hope you can at least take Thanksgiving off to enjoy it (we don't have it in Ireland unfortunately, so I'm going to miss out on all that turkey and pumpkin pie...have some on me!)

xx

Right back at you, eirelass. For me the waiting is delicious, though. I've waited nearly fifteen years to be where I am today. I just got five packets off in first class mail. That leaves two apps to go, both of which require a writing sample... I'll definitely be able to relax over my turkey and waffle dinner, but the prospect of cobbling together a writing sample from scratch with no advisor and limited reference material is not so appetizing. Fortunately I have over a month to make some magic...

Best wishes to everyone this deadline season!

Members don't see this ad :)
Drove a total of 120 miles after work and before my class started to pick up my 3rd rec letter that my writer (who I finally got a hold of) finished and informed me of at MIDNIGHT last night.

Then I went like a mad man to the post office to get the 3 apps that are due on Dec 1st mailed off. I forked over the few extra bucks and sent it "Priority" to be sure that they will get there in time! I did all this just in time to turn in the paper that I wrote last night for my class...

Wow, this was definitely one of the craziest days...so glad this is over....for now (i'll worry about the dec 15 deadline's after Thanksgiving) :(

4/15 are DONE!

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!

Ugh, I am so there with you guys! My 3rd recommender not only didn't give me the letter on Friday (after knowing about the deadline for 2 weeks); turns out, he left yesterday for Thanksgiving break--out of the state! Awesome. So, I FedExed my Dec. 1st apps yesterday with a memo stating that his letter was coming separately. I really really really hope that won't knock me out before they even look at everything.

At least I know everything on my side is done, now I just get to wait until he comes back into town!

I hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Ugh, I am so there with you guys! My 3rd recommender not only didn't give me the letter on Friday (after knowing about the deadline for 2 weeks); turns out, he left yesterday for Thanksgiving break--out of the state! Awesome. So, I FedExed my Dec. 1st apps yesterday with a memo stating that his letter was coming separately. I really really really hope that won't knock me out before they even look at everything.

At least I know everything on my side is done, now I just get to wait until he comes back into town!

Ugh that is rough... Some programs have a hard deadline and others are more forgiving... May help you feel more in control if you called them ahead of time to see what can be arranged.

Ugh that is rough... Sorry. Some programs have a hard deadline and others are more forgiving... May help you feel more in control if you called them ahead of time to see what can be arranged.

I know how you guys all feel! My 3rd recommender even told me "you know, it doesn't matter if my letter gets there a few days late... they don't really care in the long run and they understand." I know this is true a lot of times, but it didn't stop me from freaking out! He air-mailed the ones I needed (I got them today) but has yet to do the online recs.

I have to priority mail all of my packets tomorrow. I think it should be OK, since I'm not sending anything further west than Chicago (and I am currently in the East). I think everything should get there just fine. All of my Dec. 1 apps have been submitted online too.

And the crazy thing is that I'm getting excited!! I really want to know if I'll start getting interview calls...

PS - I feel sort of funny in my current research position about possibly not being around next year. My boss is totally OK with it though, since everyone knows that research assistant positions are only meant to be stepping stones anyways... :)

If you want someone to hate on, all 24 of my apps have been done and sent out for at least a week. Envy me!

:D

If you want someone to hate on, all 24 of my apps have been done and sent out for at least a week. Envy me!

:D

I would feel fierce envy but... 7/8 of mine are done. Couldn't apply that many places for financial reasons, but I've done my best with my current resources, so there's no shame in that. Hope everyone finishes up and enjoys a great holiday!

24?? Dear lord, now THAT is what I call organisation!!!

ugh so pissed, have to send my DEC 1st ones out without any LORs... One informed me today he would mail by Friday... Another requested to send hers all separately but haven't heard back. The third, haven't heard from him in over a week. So disappointing.

Luckily it's only two schools.

Finished submitting all my Dec 1st applications yesterday so now 10/18 done. My only concern now is that I called one of my schools last week and they told me they didnt have ANY of my LORs. I had the program resend the email request to my recommenders. I called yesterday to see if they had them because I believed that my recommenders had submitted them (they've done it for all the other programs). Now I have to email all of them and have them attach the Reference Form along with their letter in an email to the Graduate Office by Tuesday over a holiday weekend. Unfortunately, this is for one of my top choices!

I agree with PrisonPsych - my Excel spreadsheet is the only way I've been able to keep everything together (organizationally and my sanity!).

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am actually skipping the festivities today and going to work on apps.

(Don't feel sorry for me , it was a personal choice as I could not go visit my mom and am feeling sorta anti-social and anti-cooking anyway. I am looking forward to a day with no commitments except to myself!)

I will probably do something fun but low key too ;)

-HP

today was a major step forward. much happier than I was yesterday.

Done with 5/9 now and working on #6.

So it's ok that I haven't had much of a holiday. ;)

does anyone know how long GRE score reports are supposed to take? i took the exam at the end of October and immediately sent them out, but none of my programs are showing that they have been received and tomorrow is deadline! I called GRE and they said they had been sent out so I am just confused with that. i hate ets

Perhaps an idiot question, but when are the November psych gre scores available? I know we can call in early to pay a fee to get the scores... but is that service available yet?

I mean, I can hardly wait to give ETS more of my hard-earned money! :rolleyes:

6/9 down!

I have a small army of confirmation screen-grabs now. :D

On the ets website it said you could call after Dec. 7th to get your score early (for $12 of course).
It also says scores will be mailed around Dec. 18th.

Perhaps an idiot question, but when are the November psych gre scores available? I know we can call in early to pay a fee to get the scores... but is that service available yet?

I mean, I can hardly wait to give ETS more of my hard-earned money! :rolleyes:

On the ets website it said you could call after Dec. 7th to get your score early (for $12 of course).
It also says scores will be mailed around Dec. 18th.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping the call would be earlier... I've heard rumors that it can change, and you can sometimes get it before the website's date. Hmm... I don't think the fee is worth it... but how do you price peace of mind??

yeah, I think the people who took it in October got it about a week earlier than ets said but I'm not sure if that will be the case with us since Thanksgiving may have put them behind and I imagine this is the busy season already.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping the call would be earlier... I've heard rumors that it can change, and you can sometimes get it before the website's date. Hmm... I don't think the fee is worth it... but how do you price peace of mind??

So um, now presumably everyone has or almost has all their apps in for the Dec 1st deadline, does anyone know the timelines on these beasts?

I ask this because even after you submit the anxiety only gets worse. The beauty of med school admissions is the rolling basis, so you know pretty quick in some cases.

Basically, can I hope for an early christmas present as to know of interviews or not? I really cant find this out on websites and I dont dare email the admissions offices of schools.

Cheers,

J

Hi Alaskan Justin

I would check out last year's interview thread for a rough guide as to when schools notify. But I think it can also depend on how great a candidate you are or how "borderline".

So um, nw presumably everyone has or almost has all their apps in for the Dec 1st deadline, does anyone know the timelines on these beasts?

I ask this because even after you submit the anxiety only gets worse. The beauty of med school admissions is the rolling basis, so you know pretty quick in some cases.

Basically, can I hope for an early christmas present as to know of interviews or not? I really cant find this out on websites and I dont dare email the admissions offices of schools.

Cheers,

J

Well, it looks like the dreaded December 1st deadline is upon us. Good luck to everyone who applied!

So I'm sure it varies by school, but since I'm neurotic I figured I'd see what everyone's opinion/experience is:

Obviously, many of us are more than aware of the fact that tomorrow is Dec 1. I mailed in my application materials for these schools last Tuesday, priority, so ensure that they would make it to the schools before this deadline. Should I be worried that it's not showing up online yet? Is it appropriate to call and see if the materials were received? I know that Thanksgiving probably set the office back a few days, and some schools even say to wait anywhere between a few days and a few weeks before it should show up, but that just makes me more neurotic!! And what about schools that don't let you track the status of the application?

Is anyone else having this same heart attack?? :scared:

So I'm sure it varies by school, but since I'm neurotic I figured I'd see what everyone's opinion/experience is:

Obviously, many of us are more than aware of the fact that tomorrow is Dec 1. I mailed in my application materials for these schools last Tuesday, priority, so ensure that they would make it to the schools before this deadline. Should I be worried that it's not showing up online yet? Is it appropriate to call and see if the materials were received? I know that Thanksgiving probably set the office back a few days, and some schools even say to wait anywhere between a few days and a few weeks before it should show up, but that just makes me more neurotic!! And what about schools that don't let you track the status of the application?

Is anyone else having this same heart attack?? :scared:

I'm freaking out a little about this too. I did call a few schools today to make sure they'd gotten everything, and nobody seemed to mind. I think it's probably ok, particularly for the ones that don't say that it will take a while to show up.

Definitely freaking out! I've called all the schools and most of them have told me to call at the end of the week. One school lost my transcript and another filed my transcripts under my maiden name! I guess I'm just going to keep calling until I'm sure that everything's there. I can't wait until this process is over!:eek:

Take a deep breath. Not that I'm in grad school, but everyone I know who has been or is currently in clinical psych. programs has told me that as long as your materials are postmarked by the date of the deadline, it doesn't matter when they actually have it filed and updated in their records. Just remember - these schools are getting hundreds of apps...that's a LOT of mail and filing!

My professors have also said that most Dec. 1 schools won't even be getting around to reviewing things until at least next week. As long as they have your money and a file started for you, you should be OK. Of my 3 main letter writers, one of them isn't even going to do mine until tomorrow or Thursday. He seemed to think this is perfectly fine (and my boss also reassured me that I won't be penalized for this). I'm worried too, but there is nothing I can do about it at this point.

So relax... true, there is a lot of waiting and the future is uncertain for us, but worrying like crazy and obsessing over things only makes it worse.

Happy December 1st everyone! Woohoo! :)

I only have 3 more deadline dates to go -- hoping to submit everything I have left on Monday.

Take a deep breath. Not that I'm in grad school, but everyone I know who has been or is currently in clinical psych. programs has told me that as long as your materials are postmarked by the date of the deadline, it doesn't matter when they actually have it filed and updated in their records. Just remember - these schools are getting hundreds of apps...that's a LOT of mail and filing!

My professors have also said that most Dec. 1 schools won't even be getting around to reviewing things until at least next week. As long as they have your money and a file started for you, you should be OK. Of my 3 main letter writers, one of them isn't even going to do mine until tomorrow or Thursday. He seemed to think this is perfectly fine (and my boss also reassured me that I won't be penalized for this). I'm worried too, but there is nothing I can do about it at this point.

So relax... true, there is a lot of waiting and the future is uncertain for us, but worrying like crazy and obsessing over things only makes it worse.

I had the same thing told to me, too. Luckily, I think my last letter writer felt my stress, and gave me my paper letters yesterday, and submitted my online recs at 9:30 last night. I was actually discussing this with a friend who is also applying, and we thought it was so frustrating that our letter writers completely disregarding when we wanted it-- oh well! Its December 2nd, so things are looking much rosier now!

I hope everyone got what they needed!! Just think, this horrible applying process is almost over! (I'm choosing to ignore the stress of waiting for interview invites, interviewing, blah blah blah!)

Congrats on making it through December 1st!!!

Anyone else starting to worry over their personal statements? At the time of mailing it, I was pretty confident that it was my best efforts... now, mere days later, I worry that it was too personable. I went for "personable" over "professional", and wrote it more conversationally than resume-like. :scared:

Anyone else starting to worry over their personal statements? At the time of mailing it, I was pretty confident that it was my best efforts... now, mere days later, I worry that it was too personable. I went for "personable" over "professional", and wrote it more conversationally than resume-like. :scared:

I am! Especially because I just had something come together that was really iffy when I was submitting PS's and CV's so I didn't put it on there (a support group I'll be co-leading next semester for the ESL community and my research interests are in health disparities). Oh well... I hope I get the opportunity to talk about it during my interviews.

Imagine how stressful this was for me last night. One of my letter writer calls me at 10:30 P. M. (last night, December 1) informing me that she was faxing my letter to my one and only December 1st application. According to her, since she has been doing this for 15 years, that I should be ok. Her fax is still marked and stamped as December 1st and they should take it.....at least that's what she told me. Then she said she would mail the hard copy today.

Crazy night.......oh, and this school is one of my top choices.

Definitely! I think I may have stretched out my interests too much in order to have more than one POI at some schools. Now I'm worried that professors will think I'm not focused enough. Argh! I will definitely make sure not to do this for the next batch of deadlines even if it means only mentioning one POI.

Definitely! I think I may have stretched out my interests too much in order to have more than one POI at some schools. Now I'm worried that professors will think I'm not focused enough. Argh! I will definitely make sure not to do this for the next batch of deadlines even if it means only mentioning one POI.

No worries on this. I listed at LEAST three people on each application last year (some of which were a bit of a stretch) and I was offered interviews at 9 of the 12 schools I applied to. One school also made a VERY big stretch to bring me out to interview with a professor who was studying something only tangentially related to my field. I think listing multiple people just increases the odds that someone will look at your application and take interest.