2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gah. I was afraid of this. I woke up sick with a very bad cold- maybe fever- yesterday and it's worse today.

I was doing so well but I still have statements to do and not sure I trust my sick brain right now.
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Gah. I was afraid of this. I woke up sick with a very bad cold- maybe fever- yesterday and it's worse today.

I was doing so well but I still have statements to do and not sure I trust my sick brain right now.

Nooooooo!! :(

What are the deadlines you're working on??

Cause I'd say, if you have the time to spare, RELAX, try not to stress, take vitamins, and sleep-- A LOT. There's no use in stressing yourself out (and therefore weakening your immune system) if you don't have to. Even if it means mailing in the app right before the deadline, at least you have time to get yourself better.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Oh no!! Feel better!
I know that my next big batch is due on 12/15, which is still almost 2 weeks away. If that's when yours are due, you've still got some time. It's probably worth taking today off and cramming in a few more apps when you're feeling better.

To anyone is who is applying to TAMU's clinical program, I have a question about the personal statement:

There is an essay that gets submitted online with ApplyTexas. And then, in the paper departmental form, there's a section for a "Statement of Professional Goals and Interests." I e-mailed them about whether or not they're the same thing, and the woman to answered me said that doing the online one is sufficient.

I am inclined to believe her, and not send in a hard copy with the department app, but does this seem weird to anyone? I feel like sending it in w/o the paper copy of the statement is leaving a part of the application out, and that makes me nervous.

Anyone else encountering this? What are you doing??

Also, I didn't think this would happen, but my nerves are starting to kick in from those Dec 1 deadlines. I'm sure I did everything right, and remembered to mail everything (and what to include in headers, etc. for different schools) but there were so many of them to keep track of all at once I can't help but doubt myself.
Most of my 'top' choices were in that batch of applications, too. :(
(Even though every school is really a 'top choice' since I'd gladly go to any one of them.)
I guess it's too late now to do anything about it, anyway, but felt like I'd find solace in this thread. Haha

Also, I didn't think this would happen, but my nerves are starting to kick in from those Dec 1 deadlines. I'm sure I did everything right, and remembered to mail everything (and what to include in headers, etc. for different schools) but there were so many of them to keep track of all at once I can't help but doubt myself.
Most of my 'top' choices were in that batch of applications, too. :(
(Even though every school is really a 'top choice' since I'd gladly go to any one of them.)
I guess it's too late now to do anything about it, anyway, but felt like I'd find solace in this thread. Haha

I know exactly what you mean. Every day I keep thinking I forgot a transcript, CV, or personal statement...I'll be surprised if I don't lose my mind by the time this is all over! :scared:

And I can't help but remember that so far I've spent over $1000 on GRE scores, application fees, etc., and obviously haven't even gone on interviews yet! I just REALLY hope it's not all for nothing...

And I can't help but remember that so far I've spent over $1000 on GRE scores, application fees, etc., and obviously haven't even gone on interviews yet! I just REALLY hope it's not all for nothing...

To be honest, that's the main reason I'm freaking out too. Money isn't exactly easy to come by in my family right now and they've been so good helping me out so that I could apply to 9 schools. They don't really get how competitive it is, and I think they're under the impression it's only a matter of time til I get accepted! :( Trying to explain the process and tell them not to get their hopes up...

I hate the waiting game, in a way it's worse than applying!

Oops, I'm sorry that came up three times! If anyone knows how to delete extra posts, please feel free to do that! Sorry again!

2/9 done and sent out. Just 7 more to go. Hoping they will all be out before Christmas.

I mailed off 6/10 last Friday. I'm planning to mail the rest (4) this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all. I am feeling much better.

I am actually feeling positive about the process as it is almost over (all my letters of rec are in!!!) and I have learned a lot during it regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you guys mean about worrying after the fact. What if one of the schools lost something and doesn't tell me til it's too late? What if one of my letters of rec got misplaced? Plus, there are some weird little things I need to get straightened out. For example, one of my online apps claims the status of my app is incomplete, but everything it lists as being a requirement is accounted for on the screen... I can't help wondering "is there some totally obvious part of the application I missed?!"

Considering I am applying to 13 schools (and of those, 11 are completely submitted now), I suppose that I can stand to have some paper mishaps at a few. I'm fairly confident I'll be offered at least an interview or two, but hey, I'm not stupid enough to think it's a sure thing.

Good thing December is a busy month... it doesn't leave much time or energy to agonize. :)

I just sent out four applications tonight, and one is going out in the mail tomorrow. Can't wait for this to be done...then I can stress about getting interviews :)

I just sent out four applications tonight, and one is going out in the mail tomorrow. Can't wait for this to be done...then I can stress about getting interviews :)

I can't believe I've only been waiting a week. I can't imagine how the next 4-5 months are going to be.

And people/family member/coworkers who aren't familiar with the process repeatedly asking if I've heard anything yet, even though most likely we won't hear a peep til after the New Year. Each time I have to say that and realize it's only early December, my anxiety shoots through the roof!

I still have 8 more applications to submit. I'm finding that I'm not as motivated to work on this batch (deadlines of December 14-15) as the early ones through Dec 1st because those are now under review. The deadlines are a week away - gotta get remotivated! I did put a reward in place contingent upon submitting this next batch (behavior modification!) - I get to borrow the next season of How I Met Your Mother on DVD from a friend. Hopefully this'll get me moving.

Good luck to all!

What I really hate is people who just assume that I'm going to get into grad school. Obviously, these people are non-psych people, so they are comparing to grad schools in education, business, MPH, etc. They don't seem to get that although I qualify for most schools based on my stats, I am not automatically going to be interviewed or accepted!

The worst part is having to tell them each time "No, not necessarily. It's really hard to get in, and there are no guarantees."

Grrrr....

I still have 8 more applications to submit. I'm finding that I'm not as motivated to work on this batch (deadlines of December 14-15) as the early ones through Dec 1st because those are now under review.

Same here. I took the weekend off hoping that it would recharge my batteries a little to work on this next set of apps. I don't have any pressing deadlines, but I have 5 schools with Jan deadlines, and I really want to have them done before I go visit my family for the holidays. I typically don't work well under pressure, but I think that really helped me when I was working on the ones for Dec 1.

What I really hate is people who just assume that I'm going to get into grad school. Obviously, these people are non-psych people, so they are comparing to grad schools in education, business, MPH, etc. They don't seem to get that although I qualify for most schools based on my stats, I am not automatically going to be interviewed or accepted!

The worst part is having to tell them each time "No, not necessarily. It's really hard to get in, and there are no guarantees."

Grrrr....

That is the WORST! I even have a prof who is sure that I will get interviews, and even though it's kind of nice to hear, I know I can't assume anything. I just want to know already. I can't believe it's only Dec 8! I need to get focused on my next batch of apps so that I am distracted from worrying!!

What I really hate is people who just assume that I'm going to get into grad school. Obviously, these people are non-psych people, so they are comparing to grad schools in education, business, MPH, etc. They don't seem to get that although I qualify for most schools based on my stats, I am not automatically going to be interviewed or accepted

I get this all the time too! It's frustrating because they don't get it and it makes it hard to keep a level head about the process i.e. prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have a friend in an MFT program (Marital and Family Therapy) and she's my biggest cheerleader which is fantastic but she is convinced I am going to get into a program simply because my stats are higher than hers were when she applied. I thought she'd be the one person who'd get it!

I get this all the time too! It's frustrating because they don't get it and it makes it hard to keep a level head about the process i.e. prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have a friend in an MFT program (Marital and Family Therapy) and she's my biggest cheerleader which is fantastic but she is convinced I am going to get into a program simply because my stats are higher than hers were when she applied. I thought she'd be the one person who'd get it!

OMG SAME! :laugh:

One of my best friends is in a clinical program- I remember when she applied last year- she was a nervous wreck!! But she's CONVINCED I am going to get in- our stats are about the same, but I'm applying to 3x as many programs than she did. It's so hard to compare, we just have to keep our fingers crossed and minds focused on the big picture. :)

I still have 8 more applications to submit. I'm finding that I'm not as motivated to work on this batch (deadlines of December 14-15) as the early ones through Dec 1st because those are now under review. The deadlines are a week away - gotta get remotivated! I did put a reward in place contingent upon submitting this next batch (behavior modification!) - I get to borrow the next season of How I Met Your Mother on DVD from a friend. Hopefully this'll get me moving.

Good luck to all!

Same here! Seven to go, most of them due 12/15. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's still working on apps. Maybe I should take a cue from you and motivate myself with a reward.

Good luck on yours too!

They don't understand once you get in, either. My dad was like "Oh, you have to do work this week?"

Grrrr....

I guess I am lucky. My little brother - who went to med school - has told everyone in our family that it is harder to get into than med school.

Grrrr....

I swear! If I had a penny for every time I had to explain the whole process/situation...:rolleyes:

Same here; it's awful! My third recommender has known for weeks when the due dates are. In order for me to get my stuff in by 12/1, I told him that the due date was TODAY. Then he called me a couple days ago asking when things were due, despite the numerous reminder emails I've sent him. I clarified that I needed the materials by today.

He called again this morning and said, "So when you say the due dates are today, what does that mean?" He doesn't even have the rec written yet and is planning to ship them same-day to me tomorrow.

It doesn't help that it's almost Thanksgiving, and I'm planning to go home to celebrate. I'll have to come back early if this paperwork doesn't arrive. Gah!

Same here- I gave my lOR writers their info a month and a half ahead of time ( with checklists and incredibly organized) and kept giving friendly reminders. I wanted to send them out the 23rd b/c of turkey day and was still being blown off by a writer so i sent sent an email saying if they wouldn't be done the following week i would need to know so i could ask my back-up. I worked alllll weekend and pulled an all-nighter so i could get all 19 apps out the door the 23rd and what do I find Monday morning? THEY ARE NOT DONE!!!! I then calmly walked to my office, closed the door, and cried at my desk for 20 minutes straight. cried HARD. But on the bright side I felt muuuuch better after. So much so, that I was able to just smile and say "oh thank you so much!" when they told me that afternoon they would "try to move heaven and earth" for me to get them done. EYE ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I swear! If I had a penny for every time I had to explain the whole process/situation...:rolleyes:

You'd have enough to pay for the application fees, gre scores, transcripts, postage, etc :)

Just finished submitting my December 15th deadline applications... 16/18 done! Home stretch!:beat:

Got an email from Yale Graduate School last night, just a generic one I presume, with websites I might be interested in (housing, grad student life etc). The thing is, when an email arrives in my inbox, I can only see the first few words, so all I can see is "Dear [my name], we are delighted..."

I swear my heart stopped. I had to wait for the thing to load, only to read the rest of the sentence: "...you have applied to Yale. We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to look at some pages on the Graduate School's website that you may find useful" :laugh:

Got an email from Yale Graduate School last night, just a generic one I presume, with websites I might be interested in (housing, grad student life etc). The thing is, when an email arrives in my inbox, I can only see the first few words, so all I can see is "Dear [my name], we are delighted..."

I swear my heart stopped. I had to wait for the thing to load, only to read the rest of the sentence: "...you have applied to Yale. We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to look at some pages on the Graduate School's website that you may find useful" :laugh:

Aw, that's so mean!

So, I checked the status of my UCSB app, and it said that my subject GREs from the November test have been received! Does this mean they're on their way to my mailbox? Anyone else receive them yet?

... also, who is already tired of waiting? lol.

So I'm working on the last of my SOPs for my January deadlines (I want to have them done before I go out of town for the holidays and get distracted), and I'm finding them A LOT easier to write. I'm starting to feel like these are coming out a lot better than the ones I did for the Dec 1 deadline. Not that I really have top choices, but I guess I care about those apps more than I do these that I'm working on now, and these are coming out better!! I'm finding that connecting my research to the research of my POIs is easier (I guess since I've been writing about it so much now) and that I'm elaborating more on the fit, whereas before that paragraph now seems so minute. Isn't the fit the most important part of the essay?? :(

Dear eatsleeppsych,

I am pleased to inform you....

and then I opened the email to learn my app had been forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Such a tease.

Was that for the PsyD or PhD program??? I haven't got one! When I checked online at myweb.com it said that my application was complete.

hahah...something like this happened to me a few nights ago...I got home and saw a BIG envelope (from my experience big envelopes usually = acceptance letter) from the University of Oregon and I couldn't believe it, it seemed as if the world just stopped for a minute...

but after I tore open the envelope I found it to be about their "housing options"...what an emotional roller coaster in a matter of 2 minutes...I swear they do this on purpose! :laugh:

Haha, get used to it because they all do that. I got home once and my dad was like "You got something from the University of X!" I opened the envelope and it was about how to check my app status.

5/10 done completely. 8/10 applications done that still need at least one ref.

2/10 due in january, so focusing on my exam next tuesday first. but I'll be dropping off forms and picking up transcripts right after, lol.

Hmm... eatsleeppsych, I believe that the school you are applying to has two campuses---one more clinically focused and the other more research driven. have you looked into the research driven campus? (Didn't know if you wanted me to reveal the name of the school, hence the vague answer. You can PM me if you like). Before you cross the school off your list, however, most PhD programs want their graduates to continue research/work in academia, but a sizeable amount end up doing clinical work full time anyway. Maybe look over the curriculum and see if it has enough research based classes to develop the skills you want/will need in the future. Good luck

I spear headed a Blue Print Program to be the FIRST to succeed in our state :D .
The heads of our small community who encouraged my agency to get the grant became BEYOND JOYFUL AND PROUD. I left this agency to pursue my PHD and have my own business. I already have my LPC, NBCC and SSOTC. The problem started yesterday on my way to teach my belly dance class (I had to say this, show off, but the truth :laugh::laugh:) one VIP in our community, talked to me about a GREAT position that is going to open up. It is a government position, and she has the authority to appoint the person to hold this position. As you probably expect, this position does NOT pay much as I was getting payed in my previous job, but it is a powerful and influential position. Also, it is my foot in the door to more very influential positions
Do you think I can do my PHD by correspondence? How is it looked at in the field? Do you recommend a certain University on line?
Should I take the job? I cannot see myself saying 'no' to this lady! Please, tell me what to do?

I spear headed a Blue Print Program to be the FIRST to succeed in our state :D .
The heads of our small community who encouraged my agency to get the grant became BEYOND JOYFUL AND PROUD. I left this agency to pursue my PHD and have my own business. I already have my LPC, NBCC and SSOTC. The problem started yesterday on my way to teach my belly dance class (I had to say this, show off, but the truth :laugh::laugh:) one VIP in our community, talked to me about a GREAT position that is going to open up. It is a government position, and she has the authority to appoint the person to hold this position. As you probably expect, this position does NOT pay much as I was getting payed in my previous job, but it is a powerful and influential position. Also, it is my foot in the door to more very influential positions
Do you think I can do my PHD by correspondence? How is it looked at in the field? Do you recommend a certain University on line?
Should I take the job? I cannot see myself saying 'no' to this lady! Please, tell me what to do?
You cannot do it by correspondence. It will be looked upon very poorly. I do not recommend ANY university that offers this option, as they are doing their students a disservice to offer "training" in this manner.