2009-2010 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone who interviewed on the 5th heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am thinking about going back to Milwaukee in March and taking my fiance with so that we can decide between there and some other schools based on city etc...for people that are from there, is the public transportation system legit enough to get around the city? I have used public transportation a lot but I just want to make sure I will be able to access everything that I want to see...Also, what should we look at? What is there to do in March? We are thinking of coming for 3-4 days between the 13th-21st...thanks!

If you go around then, there should be lots of St. Pat's stuff--the Irish scene in Milwaukee is pretty big (no Chicago or anything). http://shamrockclubwis.com/page5.html for some stuff...

Good luck to everyone interviewing and still waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Witdrew app and declined my acceptance Today. Hope someone else on here gets it!

Is MCW still sending out interview invitations? I've been small pooled since 8/24 and haven't heard anything yet. Istwan isn't very specific in his responses to my e-mails...lol

I got my interview invite on Jan 27th and it was originally for March 5th, but when I called in to confirm there were spots available for the Feb 19th interview session which the lady said would be for a spot in the class and not for the wait list. I was small pooled 8/18 so I would think there's still hope although if you receive an interview it may just be for the wait list.

I got my interview invite on Jan 27th and it was originally for March 5th, but when I called in to confirm there were spots available for the Feb 19th interview session which the lady said would be for a spot in the class and not for the wait list. I was small pooled 8/18 so I would think there's still hope although if you receive an interview it may just be for the wait list.

Good luck on your interview. :) Are you IS or OOS?

After my interview this weekend, I can say that I was impressed. I wasn't sure how I felt about the school, but after this weekend I would feel comfortable attending MCW. The on-campus children's hospital certainly doesn't hurt... :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm normally just a regular lurker on SDN, but I had a question I hoped someone here could answer. Sorry if it's already been addressed somewhere. I'm going to withdraw my acceptance here, and I wondered if it was no bueno to sort of recommend a guy I know. Any thoughts?

So I'm normally just a regular lurker on SDN, but I had a question I hoped someone here could answer. Sorry if it's already been addressed somewhere. I'm going to withdraw my acceptance here, and I wondered if it was no bueno to sort of recommend a guy I know. Any thoughts?

I don't think it works that way. You can of course recommens but it will not matter. They have a huge wait list for your spot:) I withdrew my acceptance too.

How often and approx how many people do they eventually take off their waitlist at mcw? I just got an interview invite but it was only for a spot of the waitlist... Anyone know??

Woohoo! I completely thought my application cycle was done and I wouldn't receive any more invites, so pleasantly surprised especially since I've been complete here since early july and got small-pooled in august. Sweet!

How often and approx how many people do they eventually take off their waitlist at mcw? I just got an interview invite but it was only for a spot of the waitlist... Anyone know??

When I interviewed there they said they absolutely dip into the waitlist every year. They didn't mention how many people they usually pull off of the list, bur it sounded like there is usually considerable movement.

got an interview this morning as well! I was complete mid-october and small pooled early november. only date available was for march 26th, and they said it's only an interview for the waitlist.
:D

Even if you are only interviewing for the waitlist, you still have a decent shot. If you don't have any acceptances, remember to write a letter saying how much you loved mcw after your interview. You could also get offered a spot for the class of 2015.

Hey, I was accepted in December and during the interview Mr. Istwan said that the committee would send certain accepted applicants an e-mail offering them merit scholarships. To the currents students of MCW, do any of you know how selective this process is based on your knowledge of fellow students who have these scholarships? Thanks.

Even if you are only interviewing for the waitlist, you still have a decent shot. If you don't have any acceptances, remember to write a letter saying how much you loved mcw after your interview. You could also get offered a spot for the class of 2015.

I also received an interview invite today - for a waitlist spot. Going to cancel the interview since I already have an acceptance at one of my top choices. But it's nice to know that people who interview for a waitlist spot still have a chance and that they give acceptances for the next year as well.

Do they really offer places for the 2015 class? So if your placed on the waitlist and don't get in this year do you automatically have a spot for the next year?

Hey everyone. Is there an acceptance thread for the MCW class of 2014?

Do they really offer places for the 2015 class? So if your placed on the waitlist and don't get in this year do you automatically have a spot for the next year?

no, not everyone, I don't know exactly how many each year. They do it if they simply don't have room but would want you attending mcw.

Hey everyone. Is there an acceptance thread for the MCW class of 2014?

Look in the Allopathic Class threads forum.

Do post-interview results typically occur on Thursday or Fridays?

Hey, I was accepted in December and during the interview Mr. Istwan said that the committee would send certain accepted applicants an e-mail offering them merit scholarships. To the currents students of MCW, do any of you know how selective this process is based on your knowledge of fellow students who have these scholarships? Thanks.

Look in the Allopathic Class threads forum.

Do post-interview results typically occur on Thursday or Fridays?

They will be making decisions on Thursday, and he said that letters go out on Friday. I was told by students (and it was implied by Dr. Istwan) that if you do not get an email on Friday, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as acceptances are also mailed. Thus, you could hear Friday if you got an email, but all decisions are necessarily mailed out (at the least).

They will be making decisions on Thursday, and he said that letters go out on Friday. I was told by students (and it was implied by Dr. Istwan) that if you do not get an email on Friday, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as acceptances are also mailed. Thus, you could hear Friday if you got an email, but all decisions are necessarily mailed out (at the least).

Great, thanks for the info.

I wouldn't take it that way. Nothing is guaranteed.

All I can say is that it does happen. I know a couple people that this has happened to. So if you really love MCW and keep in touch, it's not a guarantee but there is a chance. Don't know if this happens at other schools.

Just curious, are there still any other people here that were small-pooled on 8/18 and have not heard anything since then? Also, anybody have any idea when the last invites might be going out?

Just curious, are there still any other people here that were small-pooled on 8/18 and have not heard anything since then? Also, anybody have any idea when the last invites might be going out?

I was small-pooled on 09/21, have sent two updates, and still have not heard anything.

I was small-pooled on 8/24 I think, sometime around then. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was wondering if writing a letter of interest would make any difference? Anyone know? I don't want to waste the effort of writing one when nothing can change the rank we've been put in at the decision to small pool us way back when.

I was small-pooled on 8/24 I think, sometime around then. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was wondering if writing a letter of interest would make any difference? Anyone know? I don't want to waste the effort of writing one when nothing can change the rank we've been put in at the decision to small pool us way back when.

Well I hadn't heard anything since being small-pooled on 8/18 and I wrote a letter of interest a week and a half ago...and just got an invite. Maybe it's a coincidence but I would have to say that a letter of interest definitely helps. Good luck!

Well I hadn't heard anything since being small-pooled on 8/18 and I wrote a letter of interest a week and a half ago...and just got an invite. Maybe it's a coincidence but I would have to say that a letter of interest definitely helps. Good luck!

Haha, this is good and bad news. I just finished writing 2 other letters of interest (which took me forever b/c I'm a perfectionist) and now I want to write one for MCW but I have to really get cracking on studying for my anatomy exams AND prepare for my other interviews, especially the one next week. So much to do and so little time....:(

Thanks for the reply though!!

Does anyone know whether the March 5th interview date is for a spot in the class or just the waitlist? Thanks!

Does anyone know whether the March 5th interview date is for a spot in the class or just the waitlist? Thanks!

I think you can check the original interview invite. It should say whether you're interviewing for the waitlist or not. Or you can always call the school and ask.

HEYYY go MiniMoo! Congrats :thumbup:

Congrats! :thumbup:

Way to go! You probably got like, the last spot in the class!

Thanks guys! The school seemed very solid. Definitely a good way to start a Friday morning.

My invite said that they anticipate that there will be a few spots left. I am thinking about calling to ask. Although it doesn't really matter I am going to go either way.

I had contacted Istwan about a month ago and he told me that they anticipate sending out invites until Mid-march and will most likely interview till April. I'm thinking that (unless that has changed) they are only providing interview options month by month, if that makes sense. I really want to go to MCW and I hope I still have a shot! Come on MCW!! :xf::xf::xf:

My invite said that they anticipate that there will be a few spots left. I am thinking about calling to ask. Although it doesn't really matter I am going to go either way.

I called today and they said all the upcoming interview dates (including mar 5) are just for waitlist. I agree with you that it doesn't really matter because I'm going anyway but I have a mar 26 date and was just wondering if moving it earlier would make any difference. Unfortunately minimoo really did get the last spot in the class haha congrats minimoo! :thumbup:

Does anyone know when the last invites will be going out here?

Does anyone know when the last invites will be going out here?

If you look a couple posts up, someone says Mike Istwan anticipated sending invites until mid-March or so.

If you look a couple posts up, someone says Mike Istwan anticipated sending invites until mid-March or so.

Thanks! I guess I can keep those fingers crossed for a couple more weeks then :xf::xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.