2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember when Mid-Late September interviewees find out whether they got in here or not? :confused:

Does anyone remember when Mid-Late September interviewees find out whether they got in here or not? :confused:

early december. i think the guy said if we dont hear by mid dec, then to give him a call?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm having trouble figuring out "why NYMC". Seems like "we make good doctors and stuff" isn't really that helpful on their website. I don't see how they differentiated themselves from any other medical school.

i'm having trouble figuring out "why NYMC". Seems like "we make good doctors and stuff" isn't really that helpful on their website. I don't see how they differentiated themselves from any other medical school.
I grew up in a home, less than a mile away from NYMC, and since I was a child I've dreamed of becoming a doctor and attending there, one thing I can tell you, Valhalla is a beautiful place, and a great place to live.

Since I grew around that area as well why NYMC was easier because I could weave in personal experience with the hospital and stuff.

for anyone who has already had an interview:

how are they conducted? is it a panel of three? one-on-one? i also noted online that a fourth year medical student may also sit down and interview you as well. what should i expect?

THANKS!!

for anyone who has already had an interview:

how are they conducted? is it a panel of three? one-on-one? i also noted online that a fourth year medical student may also sit down and interview you as well. what should i expect?

THANKS!!

I just had a one-on-one interview (closed file), and I'm pretty sure it was the same for the rest of the interviewees that day. To my knowledge, none of us were interviewed by any medical students. Although, a fourth year medical student did sit down and speak to us about the curriculum. Hope that helps and best of luck to you!

I just had a one-on-one interview (closed file), and I'm pretty sure it was the same for the rest of the interviewees that day. To my knowledge, none of us were interviewed by any medical students. Although, a fourth year medical student did sit down and speak to us about the curriculum. Hope that helps and best of luck to you!

thanks golffanatic!

what was the style of the interview? was it friendly? aggressive? did they ask you a lot of hypothetical ethical questions? or was it mainly about your experiences?

thanks golffanatic!

what was the style of the interview? was it friendly? aggressive? did they ask you a lot of hypothetical ethical questions? or was it mainly about your experiences?

I'm sure it varied from interview to interview but mine was very friendly and laid back. I did not really get any ethical questions or difficult questions in general. The questions mainly pertained to my experiences. Make sure you are able to answer the question why NYMC because it was my understanding that they look for students who really want to be there.

I know this is last minute, but are there any students who can host someone tomorrow night? If so, please PM me.

so, why NYMC? Oh, I found an amazingly in-depth answer on their website, that is not in any way vague or generic:

There is no single reason to study at New York Medical College—there are many. Our dedicated faculty, state-of the art laboratories, well funded researchers and innovative curriculum, coupled with our commitment to the underserved, are just a few of the many reasons students choose New York Medical College.

so, why NYMC? Oh, I found an amazingly in-depth answer on their website, that is not in any way vague or generic:

There is no single reason to study at New York Medical College—there are many. Our dedicated faculty, state-of the art laboratories, well funded researchers and innovative curriculum, coupled with our commitment to the underserved, are just a few of the many reasons students choose New York Medical College.

That's pretty much what every school says, and what you should say at every interview. Just give it a slight spin from school to school and you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty much what every school says, and what you should say at every interview. Just give it a slight spin from school to school and you're good to go.

yeah but some schools site specific programs you can engage in; i just found it curious that they didn't really try to be more specific. but i found some usable information, so i should be good!
why NYMC? because i don't want to go to the caribbean!

ACCEPTED. EMAIL TODAY 3pm ET! I: 9/30. I AM 2 for 2, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

ACCEPTED. EMAIL TODAY 3pm ET! I: 9/30. I AM 2 for 2, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Accepted too. Check your email guys. I 9/22. Might have to stick around and see how the finical aid looks.

Gratz everyone, ya just checked my email and found out I was accepted. Interviewed 9/21, and Out of state. 4 for 4 so far, I must make a good impression :laugh:

Congrats for the acceptances. I hope they will send out acceptance emails over a few days period. Otherwise, I am screwed.

Accepted! via email

interviewed in late september. whoooo!

Accepted yesterday as well... interviewed 9/24

I'm sure it varied from interview to interview but mine was very friendly and laid back. I did not really get any ethical questions or difficult questions in general. The questions mainly pertained to my experiences. Make sure you are able to answer the question why NYMC because it was my understanding that they look for students who really want to be there.

Has this been other person's experience who interviewed here? It's good to hear the interview is more about why you want to go there and not focused on grilling you and ethics questions.

How long have the interviews typically been?

Anyone else interviewing here tomorrow? I will be there, bright and early!

Last edited:
Has this been other person's experience who interviewed here? It's good to hear the interview is more about why you want to go there and not focused on grilling you and ethics questions.

How long have the interviews typically been?

Mine was also laid back. I had one interview with a 4th year med student. Very focused on experiences, not a pressure interview at all. It probably lasted like 40 minutes or so? Would have gone longer if I didn't have to run over to catch up with the tour group. Don't sweat it, really. Just have a good answer for why you want to go there, review your amcas activities, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info on the interview day! I'm looking forward to it.

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 09/24/2009 and is currently under review. **

Cmon NYMC please send me interview invite :oops:

Mine was also laid back. I had one interview with a 4th year med student. Very focused on experiences, not a pressure interview at all. It probably lasted like 40 minutes or so? Would have gone longer if I didn't have to run over to catch up with the tour group. Don't sweat it, really. Just have a good answer for why you want to go there, review your amcas activities, you'll be fine.

Mine was very laid back too; we were joking around some of the time! Mine went a bit long, but I think most of the other students were right around 30 min.

Just interviewed here and it was an extremely positive experience!! I loved the school and the interviewers were great. :) Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!

Hi guys, new to the forum. I was just wait listed at New York Medical College and I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could answer.

I know at some schools, being wait listed is pretty much a rejection, but I remember from my interview at NYMC that a lot of people are accepted off the wait list. Does anyone know around how many people are wait listed and what the chances are of being accepted off the list?

Also, is there any chance of movement from the wait list before May? In the letter I got it says they review periodically, but do any acceptances come before then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys, new to the forum. I was just wait listed at New York Medical College and I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could answer.

I know at some schools, being wait listed is pretty much a rejection, but I remember from my interview at NYMC that a lot of people are accepted off the wait list. Does anyone know around how many people are wait listed and what the chances are of being accepted off the list?

Also, is there any chance of movement from the wait list before May? In the letter I got it says they review periodically, but do any acceptances come before then?

they said they have lots of movement, but i believe it will be later on. they also said that the waitlist is unranked and that they like getting letters from students. furthermore, i'm sure numbers are taken into consderation when waitlisted, so if you have a 3.8 33 i would be inclined to say that you have a better chance of getting off than someone with lower stats. good luck.

just got rejected by snailmail post interview, am i the only one rejected :(

idk if this answers your question but they said they accept around 700 which includes people that get accepted and waitlisted than later accepted. The person at the interview said that there is a lot of movement off the waitlist and he did give an exact number of people on the waitlist.. i dont know the number off the top of my head

Accepted via email.

Still not quite sure if this is a place I'd attend. Gonna have to think about it before I accept or withdraw.

for all those who received acceptances today, when did you interview? Late Sept? or early Oct? I'm in the late October group and I'm anxious to hear back from NYMC. Thanks!!

for all those who received acceptances today, when did you interview? Late Sept? or early Oct? I'm in the late October group and I'm anxious to hear back from NYMC. Thanks!!

I interviewed Oct. 5. They said it would take 8-10 weeks to hear back, and they certainly took their time getting back to me.

Accepted via email today, interviewed on October 7th.

sooo, we can put down a deposit any time before May 15th??

sooo, we can put down a deposit any time before May 15th??

that's how I read it. Besides, they don't say who to make the check out to. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.:whistle:

congrats to those who were accepted! by chance were you guys in state residents?? i'm OOS but have been wanting to go to this school for years!! have you heard anything about OOS interviews??

congrats to those who were accepted! by chance were you guys in state residents?? i'm OOS but have been wanting to go to this school for years!! have you heard anything about OOS interviews??

I'm OOS and interviewed in mid-October. I don't think they treat IS and OOS differently from each other...

So are we assuming that acceptance notifications are only coming out on Mondays? I say this because the only days people posted were the 23rd and the 30th. Also, an open question to those already accepted: What does your online status say after you received the email?

I interviewed on September 21 and I still haven't heard anything from the school, neither email nor letter correspondence. What should I do, should I call them or email them to find out? It seems many people interviewed after me have already received the decisions.

I interviewed on September 21 and I still haven't heard anything from the school, neither email nor letter correspondence. What should I do, should I call them or email them to find out? It seems many people interviewed after me have already received the decisions.

I think the guy who ran our interview session (James Demaio I think?) seemed open to being called if you've been waiting a long time. He said to call and ask to speak with him, and he will tell you your decision over the phone (even though he's apparently not supposed to, according to him).

I think the guy who ran our interview session (James Demaio I think?) seemed open to being called if you've been waiting a long time. He said to call and ask to speak with him, and he will tell you your decision over the phone (even though he's apparently not supposed to, according to him).

Thanks, I also heard him saying that, but he said to call him if I don't receive my decision by December 15th. I felt I am being left out from their computer system. First, they have to call me in order to schedule an interview, because, according to them, there was something wrong with their computer system. Anyone here who interviewed in September and still hasn't gotten decision in any form?

So are we assuming that acceptance notifications are only coming out on Mondays? I say this because the only days people posted were the 23rd and the 30th. Also, an open question to those already accepted: What does your online status say after you received the email?

My online status hasn't changed. Doesn't even say that they have mailed out a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.